BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
joaquin654
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: yeah baby !
Carrier: AT&T Mobility
Talking Switch to Treo 650 , then back to 8700 =)

Please Login to Remove!

ok everyone , here's my nice then sad then nice again story . i'm sharing with you all to protect the innocent who might think of ever switching from a BB to a Treo ... in word of advice : Don't F*****G Do It !!! lololol . i bought a BB 8700c and had it for 3 weeks , well cingular gives you 30 days exchange / cancel service so at the 21 day mark i decided to try out the Treo 650 ... my curiousity was killing me . i know what i've heard but i had to see for myself . i got my treo 650 2 days ago and have been playing with it ever since ... well it might be a " good " device and not to bad mouth it in any way if you have one but it was just not for ME . i could not get it to work at the BB level at all . email came when it wanted to , the camera was kinda useless , and compared to the BB it felt like a brick . like i said , i loved the treo so much i almost traded in my BB 8700c so i'm not hating on it but it just was as unreliable and even required a reset after " hot-syncing " the second day i had it . plz no hate mail but then again , this is a BB site so i'm hoping for some support .... lol . i love my BB 8700c and will never put our relationship in doubt ever again . just my .02 . liked the treo , loved the BB 8700c and all its reliable and easy to use apps . thank god for BB !!! lol
Old 04-06-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I agree...
I went against my better judgement and got a Treo 650 since it would not cost me extra monthly wise with sprint. I regretted it three days after I got it.

I have dealt with it freezing up every other day, and I dont' like it as a phone. So now I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet, get me a normal cell phone through Sprint (I have to stay with sprint) and get me the data only plan through cingular. I am very happy with this decision.

So, from experience I would never pick a treo over a BB again.

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 04-06-2006, 12:34 AM   #3
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Sad but true...

The Gecko also tried the Treo way. I thought, "hey what a cool device. The blackberry doesn't have word and excel included. And a camera...maybe if the RIM CEO dies and a teenage punk (much like myself) takes over. I think I'll try it"

Well, it didnt take me long to come back to the blackberry. Where do I start. Let me list the issues I had with it.

-Email unreliable
-Reset with no user input whatsoever (it would reset by itself sitting on the table)
-Dropped calls
-Voice clarity issues
-User functionality was poor

Ah yes, the gecko sinned and he has repented. But I will never leave the blackberry again
Old 04-06-2006, 01:44 AM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

You must shroud yourselves in the smoky incense of burning SIM cards to be fully cleansed from your sins.

I own other devices, but none of them are replacements for my BlackBerry and never will be.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
TayeDrummer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z10
Carrier: Bell

I was a Palm user for the better part of a decade, starting with a PalmIII and ending up with a tungsten so a Treo seemed the natural choice. That was the most fragile, useless gizmo I've ever owned. Totally random resets and freezes were bad but I cracked three screens in three weeks, each resulting in a $200 charge from Bell. The Palm branded holster that is similar to Blackberry's (but is an extra $30) holds the phone with the screen facing outwards...resulting in cracked screen #1 from the seatbelt clasp of my truck.

I do miss the sim card from the Treo as I had a 2Gb card full of mp3's which were really handy on flights allowing me to get rid of one gizmo (mp3 player) from the collection I carrying though airports.

Last edited by TayeDrummer; 04-06-2006 at 07:16 AM..
Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Tastypeppers

Model: 8830
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am a recent convert from the Treo 650, biding my time with a second-hand 7230 until the 8700t comes out April 15/17/whatever. Using the silly Redirector software for my email. No BES because I am a one-Blackberry shop.

The BB is utterly reliable, has great battery life, and I can drop it (accidentally of course) on the floor without qualms. (Maybe that's because I bought it second-hand off Craigslist for cheap?). I do miss the Treo's usability. I gave the Treo to my wife and saw as she learned to use the PIM functions how inferior the PIM is in the BB. I'm hoping the 8700t improves the PIM functions.

And I wish I had a reason to spend gargantuan dollars on a BES. Hosted BES won't work for me (law firm, must have data here on own server).

Hosted BES also means that I would have to find an answer to the question "I have 2,200 contacts in Outlook with daily changes to them. How would I keep my own Exchange Server and the hosted BES in sync?" which as far as I can tell is a question that has not yet been answered properly by anyone except with "Go buy a BES." At which point the RIM shareholders jump up and down with glee and buy themselves another cigar.

So I have mixed emotions here on the Treo/BB thing. Also, FWIW, I did a detour through MDA-land. What an abomination that ActiveSync is. What a horrible, horrible keyboard. Totally unusable unlike the BB's, which is superior to the Treo's in my opinion. Gave the MDA back to T-Mo.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Another Treo to BB convert here. No regrets whatsoever.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
jleadbeater

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I am another Treo to BB8700C convert and I am very happy I changed. At this point I cannot see using another device but BB.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Plain and simple, The treo, both 650 and 700 SUCK! Why would someone want to beta test a retail device? Fact is, Treo has been PLAGUED with bugs from day one and it is the most unstable PDA out there...650 is more user friendly and stable than the 700 and that is one very sad statement...

Stick with BB, what it lacks in features it makes up for in reliabilty...
Old 04-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #10
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
Stick with BB, what it lacks in features it makes up for in reliabilty...
Sad, but true.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #11
Blackcrack
No longer Registered.

Model: 7520

not too bad since i did the same thing. went from nextel to sprint then back to nextel. i love my bb 7520
Old 04-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #12
joaquin654
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: yeah baby !
Carrier: AT&T Mobility
Talking thanks everyone ...

wow .... i thought for a second it was me .... the gadget idiot that couldn't get the email or phone part of the treo to seem " stable " but i guess its not . so happy to come home to BB i haven't stopped hugging my BB8700c since i got home ........... lolololol !!!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #13
jmobbs

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

Blackberry 7280to Treo 650 to Blackberry 8700c. Altho I didn't have any problems with the Treo, I had more confidence in the BB to do what I needed it to do. Plus, 8700c is a great machine.
Closed Thread