Old 06-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
BobbyG 38

Model: N/A
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Help! VZW BIS in Puerto Rico?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello All,

Let me start by saying that I've searched BBF and Google'd my question. All the research I've looked at was somewhat dated so I called VZW customer service and want to smell check what they told me as I know there's some VZW employees here on BBF.

I'm going to Puerto Rico in the near future to visit the in-laws and want to know if my VZW 8130 Pearl BIS will work while there. I know that VZW voice is supported since I've been there numerous times and have had no problems making/receiving calls with different LG/Moto phones. And, my wife and kids are there right now and they have no problem calling home via their RAZR. Essentially, I'm trying to avoid bringing my laptop (for data purposes) and need to be reachable via cell phone (for work purposes).

My flight flows through JFK, NYC. The VZW customer rep said I would have no additional charges (and she "annotated" that in notes on my account) and to perform the *228 <send> routine prior to leaving the JFK airport and I will be supported in PR (she said that that would give me the "closest" supported spot to PR -- that makes me somewhat wary of the answer) and to perform the same *228 <send> routine when I returned. Also, I shouldn't do the *228 thing while in PR. I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than I here on the BBF (perhaps a VZW employee) might be able to shed some light. I'm tempted to call back again to see if I get the same answer.

Sorry for the long post but thanks much in advance for your help/insight!

v/r

Bobby G.
Closed Thread