Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
antb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile
Default content protection Q

Please Login to Remove!

I just switched content protection on last night and this morning was awakened by a phone call from a number that's in my address book and also has a custom ringtone assigned to it. Only on my phone display the number appeared as a regular number not saved in my address book and the ringtone was the regular ringtone. The device had autolocked while I was sleep.

I'm assuming this was part of content protection? If so does this mean if I turn "lock device in holster" on (I do) then all rings will sound the same?? Also does this mean that when the device is locked at any time I can't just glance at the display and see who's calling?

If so, then having content protection enabled is more of a hinderance than a benefit at this point.

Is there a solution OR are my assumptions wrong?

Thanks

Ant
Old 07-11-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Carrier: AT&T

Actually, it was the password protection that caused this to happen. When the handheld is locked, the caller ID info is not displayed by design. This way if you lose your handheld someone can't see your contacts info. Your only work around is to turn off the password protection, or unlock the handheld.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
antb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
Actually, it was the password protection that caused this to happen. When the handheld is locked, the caller ID info is not displayed by design. This way if you lose your handheld someone can't see your contacts info. Your only work around is to turn off the password protection, or unlock the handheld.
Thanks for the answer. I think that without the option to turn that display function on/off outside of turning off security then all the caller id ringtone functionality is severely marginalized. What good is caller id and custom ringtones if they only work when I'm actively using the device, or within. Few minutes of me using it (auto lock)?

I should be able to lock the keypad and set it so that if someone picks it up they can't use it, but that if its on my belt clip or I'm across the room I can decide whether or not I want to take that call without picking up the device (ringtone) or at LEAST without having to memorize every phone number in my address book! Ridiculous rim.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
HuwSy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

Iv password protection on always and still get names displayed, its only when I have content protection i get numbers. Makes sence tho, for the content to be secure no part of the OS can be allowed access to the databases when the device is locked.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
antb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuwSy
Iv password protection on always and still get names displayed, its only when I have content protection i get numbers. Makes sence tho, for the content to be secure no part of the OS can be allowed access to the databases when the device is locked.
That makes sense and is definitely better news than the prospect of the data being off limits at just device lock (without content protection), but it still poses a problem.

For me, the only time I'd need content. protection is if my device was stolen or lost. So unless I only enable content protection when I think I'll need it (now I must acquire the role of a psychic) then I'm going to have the problem regardless. I think there should be a way to tie in security settings with profiles (If there is flame away, please). I'd be ok with a "active" profile and a "secure" profile. It only takes 3 movements to change profile. But to change security settings everytime I go from one situation to the next *sigh* pita

Ironically - the times when I'm in need of locking my device are the same times when I need the ringer to be able to glance and make a decision or know audibly lol
Old 07-11-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
gfisher99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&Tingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by antb
That makes sense and is definitely better news than the prospect of the data being off limits at just device lock (without content protection), but it still poses a problem.

For me, the only time I'd need content. protection is if my device was stolen or lost. So unless I only enable content protection when I think I'll need it (now I must acquire the role of a psychic) then I'm going to have the problem regardless. I think there should be a way to tie in security settings with profiles (If there is flame away, please). I'd be ok with a "active" profile and a "secure" profile. It only takes 3 movements to change profile. But to change security settings everytime I go from one situation to the next *sigh* pita

Ironically - the times when I'm in need of locking my device are the same times when I need the ringer to be able to glance and make a decision or know audibly lol
Just an observation, but if you have the device auto-lock, why would you need content protection? If someone steals or finds your device, it will be locked, and unless youre are using something like "bigboy" for your password, its doubtful that someone could guess it.

Im my experience, content protection is useless and slows the device down considerably during bulk operations. Have you ever tried to wipe a content protected BlackBerry? It took a user of mine 45 mins to run a device wipe because he had content protection on. Basically, when you run the wipe, it has to decrypt each item individually and wipe it. The more stuff you have, the longer it takes.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
antb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99
Just an observation, but if you have the device auto-lock, why would you need content protection? If someone steals or finds your device, it will be locked, and unless youre are using something like "bigboy" for your password, its doubtful that someone could guess it.

Im my experience, content protection is useless and slows the device down considerably during bulk operations. Have you ever tried to wipe a content protected BlackBerry? It took a user of mine 45 mins to run a device wipe because he had content protection on. Basically, when you run the wipe, it has to decrypt each item individually and wipe it. The more stuff you have, the longer it takes.
Hmm good point...

I'm not really worried about how long it takes to wipe - I don't plan to do that often *knock wood* but you're right - if it's locked it's locked.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
HuwSy

I think if your on a BES you could prolly enable it accross the air, if not i know u can wipe the device ota. But to be fair if someone takes your phone then it doesnt matter if they can see a name come up when you try calling it as there most likely going to ditch the sim card anyway and as far as i can tell contact names are the only things that show up when the device is password locked anyway. Because they would still need the password to sync with it or unlock the keys to get anything more, unless im missing a whole method of retreiving peoples data from hacked phones here.

Edit - Beten to a reply again, must remember to refresh pages more often. lol.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
antb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuwSy
I think if your on a BES you could prolly enable it accross the air, if not i know u can wipe the device ota. But to be fair if someone takes your phone then it doesnt matter if they can see a name come up when you try calling it as there most likely going to ditch the sim card anyway and as far as i can tell contact names are the only things that show up when the device is password locked anyway. Because they would still need the password to sync with it or unlock the keys to get anything more, unless im missing a whole method of retreiving peoples data from hacked phones here.

Edit - Beten to a reply again, must remember to refresh pages more often. lol.
That was my thought exactly - what does not showing the name matter.... But someone else informed me that the os can't have access to any of the data in order to truly be secure. So its not a matter of purposefully hiding the caller's id so much as being unable to retrieve it due to the os being unable to access it, I guess.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
HuwSy

true, but at this point noone has developed (to my knowlage) a trojan virus for bb, therfor this level of security is more a hinderence than anything in my opinion. Its like locking your doors on your house on mars when you know noone can get there yet. Good idea and will be usefull just at the moment maybe it wont be needed.
Closed Thread