Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
90and90

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default #5 keypad isnt working

Please Login to Remove!

It wont even work if I press it a lot... Its really embarrassing asking people to call me so I have their number and I am no longer under the manufacture warranty.

All the other key's work, is this a lost cause?

The phone hasnt really been used much, does anyone have any idea's. Much, Much appreciated!

-Todd

by the way, my profile says I have a 7100, but I have both ;)
Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Sounds hardware related. Might have to be repaired or replaced. You could try removing the battery for about 30 seconds to see if that works. But it sounds as though it might be a defect.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Assuming you are speaking of the 8100 for the keypad issue... you could try replacing it:
BlackBerry Repair Shop - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices
Cellular Accessories - Sony, HTC, Samsung, BenQ-Siemens, Accessories Store, Alcatel, Nokia, SonyEricsso
Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

JS, that's the keypad only and and does not include the contacts underneath. My guess is that the keyboard contact(s) underneath are bad.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

True that! The keypad is a separate piece with a contact board underneath.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
90and90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
True that! The keypad is a separate piece with a contact board underneath.
Wow, thank you so much for the help! Most forums I visit, it takes a few days for someone to answer the question... Do you have any idea how much a replacement keypad would cost, or have any links??

I will browse a bit and see what I can come up with, the keypad problem has been an issue for a while so I am guessing it isn't hardware related.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

If it's just the 5 key I'd say it most definitely is a hardware problem. I'd say the contact under the 5 key is bad. Did the device ever get wet?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
90and90

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
If it's just the 5 key I'd say it most definitely is a hardware problem. I'd say the contact under the 5 key is bad. Did the device ever get wet?
Not to my knowledge, shows no water damage on the back, I am the second owner... Can I reformat the pearl, would this work?

P.S I am a t-mobile sales rep and all this info defiantly is helping me, I get people who come in with pearls that have missing trackballs and whatnot. Now I can point them to this GREAT website!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

you can try to reload the OS, there are times when files do get corrupted. I had a radio on a device that refused to get signal, at all. I updated the software, just to do it as a test, and after the device reboot, it worked beautifully.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Yep, definitely worth a try.

How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ.com
Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 PM   #11
90and90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
you can try to reload the OS, there are times when files do get corrupted. I had a radio on a device that refused to get signal, at all. I updated the software, just to do it as a test, and after the device reboot, it worked beautifully.
How do I upgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ.com

this would work then right?

And if it doesn't, I checked up on the blackberry tear apart sticky'd thread and it seems the keypad is pretty much attached to the main part of the phone.

edit:

Quote:
I think it is worth a try, although if a simple upgrade/reload of the OS doesn't correct it, try the wipe and load in John's post, as a secondary. Wouldn't hurt to do it first.

I will most certainly do that, and make shure to let everyone know how it goes so if this happens to someone else you can just post the thread ;)

much thanks again, can you give rep on this forum?

Last edited by 90and90; 01-30-2008 at 10:38 PM..
Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I think it is worth a try, although if a simple upgrade/reload of the OS doesn't correct it, try the wipe and load in John's post, as a secondary. Wouldn't hurt to do it first.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
90and90

Quote:
Just wiped my BB, it is a hardware issue, I sent a e-mail to a guy who had bb parts to see if he could price it for me... is the keypad removable (not the top part of keypad, the part where it registers)

much thanks though..
Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 AM   #14
bhbrown8

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

corrosion under the keypad is fairly common. And if you're the second owner, it's quite likely that it got some moisture from before. It's a pretty easy fix, too. Just pop off the bottom, take out the screws, and disassemble the phone. Take off the white keypad part by starting at the lower left corner and peeling off, just like a sticker. You'll probably see the corrosion. A non-waterbased cleaner (check RadioShack for electronic cleaner) and a rag should do the trick. Scrape any corrosion off of the white keypad that you see. Don't use the cleaner b/c it will remove adhesive and then won't stick. Put the keypad back on and it should work fine.

If the problem looks extensive, then replacing the white keypad is probably the best solution (but also clean the contacts on the motherboard! xxx8211; this is wear the problem started).

hope that helps.
Closed Thread