PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Old 01-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
busysignal
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T
Default Disabling "Escape" button for phone use?

I could have sworn that someone previously asked this question, but I can't find it after searching.

Is there a way to disable the "Escape" button when using a Blackberry 7290 in the phone mode? I know that the button is used to disconnect calls, but could a keyboad button be assigned to perform that function? The reason I'm asking is because I frequently disconnect incoming phone calls because I accidently press the escape button when removing the Blackberry from its holster.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:19 PM   #3
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

Well you could get a 7100t

It's disable there and it ticks me off everytime I use the phone.... who wants to push the end button on the front or use the track wheel. I like the escape key!!!!

I'm just kidding around with you I know it's totally a personal preference but to my knowledge you cannot change it.... You should have to hold it down for 3 seconds or so to disconnect the call... are you tapping it or holding it down?

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 01-28-2005, 02:13 AM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Some versions of BlackBerryOS actually disable the escape button during a call, or require you to hold it for 3 seconds, to disconnect.

If it disconnects on a tap, it's a bug! You have to hold for 3 seconds to disconnect.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 01-28-2005, 10:18 AM   #5
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Some versions of BlackBerryOS actually disable the escape button during a call, or require you to hold it for 3 seconds, to disconnect.

If it disconnects on a tap, it's a bug! You have to hold for 3 seconds to disconnect.
The 3 second rule is the problem. You certainly don't want a mere tap to disconnect you. But having to firmly hold the escape button for 3 full seconds occasionaly leads to my not disconnecting a call that I meant to hang-up on. This causes me to distrust every time I use the escape button to disconnect, unless I'm looking at the screen, or holding the escape button down for 8 or 9 seconds with my full focus to be sure I don't inadvertantly and momentarily release my hold every 2.5 seconds.

There must be a better design for a "no-look" disconnect. How about using another button that's not so easy to trip as the escape button, such as the button on top of the device, which is flush with the body of the unit, in a "remote" location, not used as much as the other tactile buttons, and requires a lot more pressure than the escape button?
Old 02-16-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
doubleshot

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

of course it also disconnects when you replace your phone into the holster, or when the other person disconnects...

so even if you mess up and don't fully disconnect it'll disconnect anyways...
Old 02-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #7
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshot
of course it also disconnects when you replace your phone into the holster, or when the other person disconnects...

so even if you mess up and don't fully disconnect it'll disconnect anyways...
I don't use a holster, so that's not an alternative for me. But are you saying that we don't really need to worry about disconnecting? That so long as the other party hangs up we'll be disconnected automatically, and we can ignore the escape button, regardless of who initiates the call? Sounds easy enough.
Closed Thread