Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
dizzle247
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: sprint
Default Sprint 8330 SMS 160 character limit question

Please Login to Remove!

I've googled this a few times and haven't found the answer that i'm looking for.

I just switched over from tmobile to sprint .. on tmobile i had the 7290, 8700g/c, 8100, 8120, 8320, all had no problem being able to write a single sms up to 960 characters. I know that any SMS on ANY carrier world wide is limited to 160 characters because of the transmission over the network. That's not the issue at hand.

I bought the 8330 with sprint and like most 8330 users have a 160 limit when writing out a message. A lot of people have said that this is a carrier issue, blah blah blah, i call bullshit on that. I already know that all carriers have the 160 limit, but with my 8320 and previous blackberries i was able to write up to 960 characters on the single sms message, it would just break it up into 6 total messages that would be sent out to the recipient.

The only answers that I have found to bypass this 160 character limit is by sending an mms from my blackberry .. it's a small annoyance and I want to be able to get past that.

Now, my solution that I have come up with. In the past, and as most BB users know, you can reload a different carrier's software onto the blackberry. I have done this successfully with an 8700c from cingular with tmobile software and also software from other carriers in the world. I also did this with my 8320 on tmobile and loaded different carrier software. Now, i'm wondering this.

Has anybody tried to load a different carrier's software onto the 8330 to bypass the 160 character limit? I have yet to try it myself because it's been a hectic 2 days since i've bought the phone and I don't have my laptop to load previous software downloaded for my 8320.

Now the only thing that I can think of being an issue is that the software I have downloaded already on my laptop is for an 8320 and i own the 8330 .. I figure since it's an 83xx device, it shouldn't be an issue. It's been awhile since i've tweaked a blackberry so i'm a little bit rusty.

If anybody has done it and it didn't do anything to bypass the 160 character limit, then i'm not gonna waste my time (actually, in reality i probably will to make sure that I know for certain myself haha) .. But i'd like some other people's feedback.

-thanks
Since when did these things get so freaking advanced?!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

You cannot install an OS for an 8320 on an 8330 - it is not interchangeable. OSes are device specific.

The only bypass that I know of to the 160 character limit is to send an MMS instead, as you said.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
dizzle247
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: sprint

hmmmm

so are ALL CDMA blackberries equipped with the 160 character limit via sms?
Since when did these things get so freaking advanced?!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Yes.

And could remove the profanity from your original post?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle247 View Post
I've googled this a few times and haven't found the answer that i'm looking for.

I just switched over from tmobile to sprint .. on tmobile i had the 7290, 8700g/c, 8100, 8120, 8320, all had no problem being able to write a single sms up to 960 characters. I know that any SMS on ANY carrier world wide is limited to 160 characters because of the transmission over the network. That's not the issue at hand.

I bought the 8330 with sprint and like most 8330 users have a 160 limit when writing out a message. A lot of people have said that this is a carrier issue, blah blah blah, i call bullshit on that. I already know that all carriers have the 160 limit, but with my 8320 and previous blackberries i was able to write up to 960 characters on the single sms message, it would just break it up into 6 total messages that would be sent out to the recipient.

The only answers that I have found to bypass this 160 character limit is by sending an mms from my blackberry .. it's a small annoyance and I want to be able to get past that.

Now, my solution that I have come up with. In the past, and as most BB users know, you can reload a different carrier's software onto the blackberry. I have done this successfully with an 8700c from cingular with tmobile software and also software from other carriers in the world. I also did this with my 8320 on tmobile and loaded different carrier software. Now, i'm wondering this.

Has anybody tried to load a different carrier's software onto the 8330 to bypass the 160 character limit? I have yet to try it myself because it's been a hectic 2 days since i've bought the phone and I don't have my laptop to load previous software downloaded for my 8320.

Now the only thing that I can think of being an issue is that the software I have downloaded already on my laptop is for an 8320 and i own the 8330 .. I figure since it's an 83xx device, it shouldn't be an issue. It's been awhile since i've tweaked a blackberry so i'm a little bit rusty.

If anybody has done it and it didn't do anything to bypass the 160 character limit, then i'm not gonna waste my time (actually, in reality i probably will to make sure that I know for certain myself haha) .. But i'd like some other people's feedback.

-thanks
Well then you would be crying foul for no reason. Because it is a carrier issue
Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Well then you would be crying foul for no reason. Because it is a carrier issue
Yes, and one that has been discussed many times before as well.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
Yes, and one that has been discussed many times before as well.
exactly
Old 03-24-2009, 02:11 AM   #8
alb123
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: ********

I dont see the problem with using MMS over SMS anyway (unless you were trying to message someone with an iPhone ::rimshot:... You don't have to worry about message length (to an extent) and if you decide to toss in an image or other media file you're all good to go! Its only a different menu item to select, its not like there is extra effort required to create & send one..

Chris

join #blackberry on EFNet today!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

It's important to remember that not all people/phones to whom one might send messages have the ability to receive MMS.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
GeekyDad

Default Beyond160

I just released a new app called Beyond160 that might be of interest to the original poster. Unfortunately, I've not reached my post minimum to be able to include the link here, so just go to cannonsoft.com.

I should be more chatty to rid myself of these restrictions.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyDad View Post
I just released a new app called Beyond160 that might be of interest to the original poster. Unfortunately, I've not reached my post minimum to be able to include the link here, so just go to cannonsoft.com.

I should be more chatty to rid myself of these restrictions.
I just downloaded and installed this using the free trial. It works nicely in allowing you to go beyond the 160 character limit. Very nice!

It doesn't appear to have a limit at all. I composed a test SMS with was 15 total messages. It separated them all and delivered them all as 160 character messages. What's nice about it too is that it numbers them for the recipient too. They will come in with (1/15), (2/15), (3/15) at the beginning of each message. Definitely worth taking a look at.

Here's the link:
Beyond160 - Communication & Internet Blackberry Software
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Closed Thread