MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrad
If there are features that you would be interested in seeing in the final product, please let me know!
Well, since you asked, a sports score board in the final product that you don’t have to pay a separate subscription too. Something that will keep up in real time, or close to it, scores of sporting events.

-MrKyoo
Old 03-21-2006, 10:21 PM   #42
dougp
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Only one glitch

My install went great, everything works except that when I click on the OPTIONS tab my BB goes to the main screen and I get the following error message:
Uncaught Excpetion: java.lang.NullPointerException

Using a Nextel BB 7520, BB software is ver 4.0.2
Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 AM   #43
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

ronrad, what I need is an application to have my BB give me a reminder "chirp" every 3 to 5 minutes to remind me needs attention (like and level 1 message arrived). Can you make that?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:49 AM   #44
jrbowie

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Sprint

Here is my 2 cents.

1) Thanks for working on this. I am another PPC Journal Bar Fan and am glad some one has taken on another BB App. How about a discount for Registered PPC Users? Many of us are multi device owners.

2) I installed on a Nextel 7100i on a BES and the begining set up screens are a little confusing. When you select the country and areacode (zipcode) there are two visibal graphis that look like buttons, at the bottom of the screen, that have the text "Add City" and Next". You can not get to the buttons to move to the next screen and you have to use the Track Wheel to select your next screen. The selection is "Close". This leade a person to beleive (at least it led me to beleive) that you are going to close the application rather than the selection box. Does that make sense?? It might be nice to change the slection name to "Next" rather than "Close".

3) Journal Bar does not make it past the "Journal Bar is now determing your connectivity. Please wait." Bummer.

Back to the drawing board, eh?

I left Journal Bar installed, so if you have any suggestions or questions I will check back.

Thanks again for trying.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #45
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbowie
Here is my 2 cents.

1) Thanks for working on this. I am another PPC Journal Bar Fan and am glad some one has taken on another BB App. How about a discount for Registered PPC Users? Many of us are multi device owners.

2) I installed on a Nextel 7100i on a BES and the begining set up screens are a little confusing. When you select the country and areacode (zipcode) there are two visibal graphis that look like buttons, at the bottom of the screen, that have the text "Add City" and Next". You can not get to the buttons to move to the next screen and you have to use the Track Wheel to select your next screen. The selection is "Close". This leade a person to beleive (at least it led me to beleive) that you are going to close the application rather than the selection box. Does that make sense?? It might be nice to change the slection name to "Next" rather than "Close".

3) Journal Bar does not make it past the "Journal Bar is now determing your connectivity. Please wait." Bummer.

Back to the drawing board, eh?

I left Journal Bar installed, so if you have any suggestions or questions I will check back.

Thanks again for trying.
Hi, thanks for the feedback! Definitely good stuff! The vast majority of my connectivity problems are on Nextel. I don't have a Nextel network here in Seattle (we have Sprint instead) so I haven't been able to track this down yet. I'm putting together a set of testapps that I will send to people who are having Nextel problems so I can track them down.

Good suggestion on the discount for PPC users. I'm the technical side of this product, so I don't make the final call on the pricing, but I'll put it through to the Man
Old 03-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #46
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
ronrad, what I need is an application to have my BB give me a reminder "chirp" every 3 to 5 minutes to remind me needs attention (like and level 1 message arrived). Can you make that?

Hmm, that would get Kelly to kick my butt out of the house, even in the testing phase! Not sure that exactly fits in the Journal Bar functionality though. I suspect that would also have an impact on battery life. It would be pretty easy to do though.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #47
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougp
My install went great, everything works except that when I click on the OPTIONS tab my BB goes to the main screen and I get the following error message:
Uncaught Excpetion: java.lang.NullPointerException

Using a Nextel BB 7520, BB software is ver 4.0.2
Hmm. I really need to figure out how to get a Nextel device for testing out here. Doug, I'm sending you private mail to see if I can track down what is going on there.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #48
jrbowie

Thanks for the swift response.

I guess Sprint and Nextel have merged, which you probably already know, but they are not yet cross paltform.

I look forward to the trinkets to track the problems.

Could the BES I am on have anything to do with the problem? Maybe a Network Policy that is blocking me. I can use Yahoo Messenger on my 7100i, but am still blocked from some websites if I use the Blackberry Browser rather than the other Browser.

Maybe that helps?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #49
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

I decided to delete the application from my device until you create an updated version that would allow user control over the email issue.

-MrKyoo
Old 03-22-2006, 08:54 PM   #50
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo
Well, since you asked, a sports score board in the final product that you don’t have to pay a separate subscription too. Something that will keep up in real time, or close to it, scores of sporting events.

-MrKyoo
We are looking into this, but I think it will have to be version 2 timeframe. Our sports scores for V1 will be final scores. This will be included in the product, there won't be any extras for it.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:42 PM   #51
phone_caller
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrad
Hi thanks for the feedback!

I assume that when you are speaking of the Journal Bar Icon overlay, you are referring to the main screen of your BlackBerry, not the mainScreen of the Journal Bar program, correct? That is great feeback, and I'll see if I can get to fit in the temp somehow.

By the way, I assume that you are running OS version 4.1, as that is the only version that I am able to actually update that home screen icon on the fly.

Yes and yes.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:08 AM   #52
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Updated beta version posted!

Hi folks,

I have posted a new version of the Beta on our website:

Links:

http://www.journalbar.com/bb/install.html (first time)

http://www.journalbar.com/JrnlBD.EXE (if you have already registered)

This version addresses many of the connectivity problems people ran into, and allows you to turn off the bug reporting email in the options / general tab.

I still have a problem with an exception on startup on about 3-4 devices that I'm tracking down, so this will not address that.

Enjoy!
Old 03-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #53
jrbowie

Woo Hooo, It works on the Nextel 7100i!!!!

I assume the "News" Tab has been disabled for now? Will you be debuting the "News" Tab any time soon?

I did find a bug, I guess. If you go to the Infrared View on Weather the actions of the Track Wheel get very slow. I assume that it has to do with the processor being a little weak and the graphic consuming the available resources. Maybe an option to change (lessen) the quality of the graphic might help that? If, of course, it didn't make the graphic so grainy that it was not worth looking at.

I do remeber seeing a Post that suggested user selected font size and I would have to agree that the option would be nice.

Thanks and keep up the great work. I am sold.

The image is pretty increadible and I like the interface so far.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #54
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Woo Hooo, It works on the Nextel 7100i!!!!

I assume the "News" Tab has been disabled for now? Will you be debuting the "News" Tab any time soon?

I did find a bug, I guess. If you go to the Infrared View on Weather the actions of the Track Wheel get very slow. I assume that it has to do with the processor being a little weak and the graphic consuming the available resources. Maybe an option to change (lessen) the quality of the graphic might help that? If, of course, it didn't make the graphic so grainy that it was not worth looking at.

I do remeber seeing a Post that suggested user selected font size and I would have to agree that the option would be nice.

Thanks and keep up the great work. I am sold.

The image is pretty increadible and I like the interface so far.
Glad you are enjoying so far! Yeah, I've tried to figure out how to beef up the image processing a little bit. It takes a lot of horsepower to scroll those pictures around, and the BB is just not very quick at it! It's actually a memory working set trade off. One thought I had was remembering the last scroll position you have for the image, I also was thinking about a couple of scale factors between fit the screen, and full size.

News will be a while yet (probably sometime in May). I'm trying to figure out how to best balance responsiveness, memory usage and bandwidth, and we're working on a few ideas on our server side to help this. We're also incorporating feedback and refining the graphics / layout / UI.

Thanks for the comments, and enjoy the Beta!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #55
jrbowie

Antoher consideration you might want to make is whether a User is on a BES or Over the Air. BES Users may not have as many concerns about bandwidth usage. I know I personally don't care either way. My Blackberry is given to my by the company that I work for.

I am also aware that not every one has that fortune and some companies may monitor their bandwith usage more than others.

Maybe you could incorporate some kind of user selectable bandwidth limitaion or usage notification. That way users that have no limitaions can run wild and those who need protection can select the level they need.

And maybe I should spell check before I post.

Last edited by jrbowie; 03-24-2006 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-27-2006, 09:49 AM   #56
jrbowie

I have been sending out a tremendous number of "Bug Reports" over the weekend. I shut down Journal Bar because of the number of reports.

I tried deselecting the option to send reports but they continued anyway.

I still think this program is a great idea.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #57
ronrad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I have been sending out a tremendous number of "Bug Reports" over the weekend. I shut down Journal Bar because of the number of reports.

I tried deselecting the option to send reports but they continued anyway.

I still think this program is a great idea.
Hi, yup, I saw your reports coming in. They were being generated from an issue caused by BlackBerries and the TCP connection. I have code in there that was recovering those and I believe your program should have been looking normal. I apologise for the volume that generated! The inital code I wrote for the disabling the bugmail didn't save the option permanently, so that if you power cycled the phone, it would not save the option, also I forgot to check it on escape, if there were no other option changes, so if you select the bugmail disable, you will need to use the trackwheel to specifically choose save changes to have the option stick.

I'm working on another beta update, that will allow the bug mail change to be saved across power cycles, and catch it on escape. I'm also trying to track down a couple of quick bugs. Again, I apologise for the excess of mail. I'm torn because, it has helped me track down several stability bugs that were not reported by the people experiencing them. (Journal Bar has code in it to automatically recover from many problems that could be fatal, so the program appears to be running normally, when in fact it may have run into a problem) Onthe other hand, I realise how annoying a lot of mails on your BB could be.

Would it at all be helpful if I set up something to erase the emails from the inbox after they were sent, as an option?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Ron
Old 03-27-2006, 11:38 AM   #58
jrbowie

Good Morning Ron,

The volume of mail was not really an issue for me. I figured out that all I needed to do was exit the program and all was fine.

I looked at the reports and noticed they seemed to be the same, or very similar, so I figured you had enough information to make the needed changes so that this issue would be resolved in future versions.

Hay, it's a Beta! We all have to assume there are going to be some challenges. If the way you have Journal Bar set up is a problem for a specific candidate, then that candidate should uninstall, watch the Forum to see if the problem has been resolved and try it again.

It comes with the territory.

Let me know when there is a fix and I will try the next one and see what happens.

If there is information that you need to help your progress and I can assist, let me know. I'm a gluten for punishment. If this is as bad as it is going to get, it's a piece of cake to handle.

It's not nearly as bad as my Palm days of Beta Testing where every other version caused a Hard Reset and you had to start from scratch just for the privelage of getting a free copy of the application when it was done. Now that was frustrating!!

Keep up the great work.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #59
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

I can't even get it to load onto my 7105t. I downloaded it to my desktop and tried to load it via DM and got: "Error in application information file C:\Documents and Settings\Erica Jones\Desktop\JmIBD.EXE There is an XML Syntax Error on line 1. No additional applications designed for your device were found."

Last edited by EricaJ1074; 04-11-2006 at 09:38 PM..
Old 04-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #60
jrbowie

Default Dead Beta Test??

There has been no activity for a couple of weeks now.

Has this Beta Test and Application died and gone away?

Any body have any new information?
Closed Thread