BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND
Default BBM going xplatform [iOS and Android]

Please Login to Remove!

BBM to go cross-platform this summer!! | CrackBerry.com

BBM for iOS and Android to Launch This Summer

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - May 14, 2013) - BlackBerry® (NASDAQ: BBRY)(TSX: BB) today announced plans to make its ground-breaking mobile social network, BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM™), available to iOS® and Android™ users this summer, with support planned for iOS6, and Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or higher, all subject to approval by the Apple App Store and Google Play. BBM sets the standard for mobile instant messaging with a fast, reliable, engaging experience that includes delivered and read statuses, and personalized profiles and avatars. Upon release, BBM customers would be able to broaden their connections to include friends, family and colleagues on other mobile platforms.

In the planned initial release, iOS and Android users would be able to experience the immediacy of BBM chats, including multi-person chats, as well as the ability to share photos and voice notes, and engage in BBM Groups, which allows BBM customers to create groups of up to 30 people.

"For BlackBerry, messaging and collaboration are inseparable from the mobile experience, and the time is definitely right for BBM to become a multi-platform mobile service. BBM has always been one of the most engaging services for BlackBerry customers, enabling them to easily connect while maintaining a valued level of personal privacy. We're excited to offer iOS and Android users the possibility to join the BBM community," said Andrew Bocking, Executive Vice President, Software Product Management and Ecosystem, at BlackBerry.

BBM is loved by customers for its "D" and "R" statuses, which show up in chats to let people know with certainty that their message has been delivered and read. It provides customers with a high level of control and privacy over who they add to their contact list and how they engage with them, as invites are two-way opt-in. iOS and Android users would be able to add their contacts through PIN, email, SMS or QR code scan, regardless of platform. Android users would also be able to connect using a compatible NFC-capable device.

BBM has more than 60 million monthly active customers, with more than 51 million people using BBM an average of 90 minutes per day. BBM customers collectively send and receive more than 10 billion messages each day, nearly twice as many messages per user per day as compared to other mobile messaging apps. Almost half of BBM messages are read within 20 seconds of being received; indicating how truly engaged BBM customers are.

Today, BlackBerry also announced BBM Channels, a new social engagement platform within BBM that will allow customers to connect with the businesses, brands, celebrities and groups they are passionate about. BlackBerry plans to add support for BBM Channels as well as voice and video chatting for iOS and Android later this year, subject to approval by the Apple App Store and Google Play.

If approved by Apple and Google, the BBM app will be available as a free download in the Apple® App Store(SM) and Google Play store. Additional details about system requirements and availability will be announced closer to the launch.

Source: BlackBerry Press Release.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
fourstringfuror

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW
Default Re: BBM going xplatform [iOS and Android]

I think I'm beginning to understand the strategy behind this, but I've always felt that one of the selling strengths of BlackBerry devices is BBM. By opening it to iOS and Android, you remove that selling point.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I don't think BBM is even relevant anymore.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
ZombieBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I don't think BBM is even relevant anymore.
It's still got it's supporters, and judging from my BBM list, many people still use it. More than my other IM clients. It's the messaging app from which I judge all others.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
ejmm22
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: 24E8FFE9
Carrier: AT&T + Movistar.ve

this might be the worst of the worst ideas from Blackberry. I thought it was the two former co-ceos that were either stupids or not technology oriented that made Blackberry lose so much ground but with this announcement there are far worst people still making decisions in this company.
going cross platform will definitely finish killing blackberry because:
1.- Since iphones were born, blackberry is always a few steps behind
2.-Now we are behind almost every single smartphone manufacturers including Nokia
3.- Now that the security offered by blackberry is not an issue anymore and companies do not seem to give it as much importance as before, the only thing that made blackberry phone stand out was the BBM
4.- If one can get a Samsung S4 (with eye tracking) or any other of the best smartphones out there with bbm, why would you pick a blackberry?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I know BlackBerry is looking at a bigger picture and I know I don't see it. Not that it isn't there, just is beyond me. But one of the last people I know that was using a BlackBerry for his personal smartphone switched to an Android device a while back. Actually he and his wife. The only thing he missed, really missed a lot, was BBM. And yet he and his wife still switched. This news pleases him. If he can use BBM again he will, in an instant. But I don't expect he and his wife will come back to BlackBerry smartphones.

Whatever BlackBerry is up to, I sense there will be a lot of people picking up and using BBM if given the opportunity. If they can make money off of that more power to them.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
lmcjipo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Wireless

For me, I think that if they offered all the functionality of BBM on the other platforms, it will be another nail in the coffin for Blackberry.

In my opinion, they should either offer a "BBM-light" for the other platforms for free and/or charge a small fee to use the full features of BBM (that are available to Blackberry owners only). For example, only instant text messaging on the other platforms unless you pay $1 per year or something like that (I know that WhatsApp charges $1 per year for Blackberry users). They could also have ads on the BBM version on the other platforms and not have ads on the Blackberry version.

Having the full BBM experience on the other platforms will just have people who use BBM a lot to communicate internationally for "free" with other BBM users (I know a lot of students in this category) switch to either an iOS device or an Android device.

My Tech Blog
Old 05-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

I guess my question would be security related. One of the things that always amazed me about BBM is that is was so secure, some countries wanted to ban BBs, so their subjects could not communicate without the government being able to track them. If BB is now making it's BBM "open source" I guess, since android is an open source platform, I think. What will this do to the security of BBM? Will it then be just the same as using another other text messge? I love BBM, but a big part of it, was knowing it was just secure.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
ZombieBerry

I don't see how BBM's security can be impacted from being ported to iOS and/or Android. It's still the same service being offered by the same company.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

That was my big concern. I didn't know if it would be or not, I know with Android it is open source code, so wasn't sure how that would work.
I do kind of think that RIM/BB may not be doing themselves any big favor with this, but hope it works out well for them.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

By using ActiveSync (no more requirement for BES) and opening up BBM, BlackBerry is very quietly using the same security models as everyone else.
The myth of BlackBerry Security is going to be hard to prove in the future.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
ZombieBerry

I don't see it as being an issue. BlackBerry has been moving in this direction for awhile. BBM can be used only on WiFi without any problems, and to be fair, the messages will continue to go through BB's infrastructure. If some already feel that switching to AS is a security killer, then they probably will not be thrilled at the idea of BBM for everyone either.

I am more curious to see the downtime (if any) from the influx of new users. It's going to interesting when it becomes available for i and A
Old 05-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't use Active Sync, and I don't want to google sync, sync in clouds, or even do the dishes in my kitchen sink (ok, maybe never mind on the last) I really do want my data just on my phone and my computer. I'm old, I know. I was kind of feeling like there might be some fall out from this cross platform move, but I don't know much about such things, and so ask.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
ZombieBerry

BBM does use the cloud to recover and port BBM contact lists.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #15
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

sigh...sorry ZombieBerry, what does this mean? port BBM contact lists.

I only back up my BBM contact list on my computer using BarrySuite. I call it Berry Sweet. If I only back up the list on my computer, is it still going in the cloud?
Old 05-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
ZombieBerry

hahaha Berry Sweet.

No, if you back your contact list on your computer and do not use the e-mail back up, then it would not be going to the cloud. If you changed to a BB10 device though, I think you would have to use the cloud at some point.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #17
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think you would have to use the cloud at some point.
Why? Please understand, I haven't even seen a BB10 yet.....so I'm just trying to learn what I can about them by asking. I've had a Bold, a Style and now a Torch, so no idea how BB10 will be different. Ok, I admit it, I might have watched a few youtube videos trying to learn too.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #18
ZombieBerry

When I first tested a z10, I had to sign in with my BBID. I was using a 9900 at the time, so I had to do a device switch (move all my information to the z) and after using it for a week or so, I had to change back. My BBM contacts were sent to my current device both times. Since November of 2012 and with the release of their latest version of BBM, contact info is tied to our BBID.

I have never used Berry Suite, so I only have experience with backing up my list to my sdCard or using one of my connected mail accounts to back up BBM contact information. It was hit or miss, sometimes information would be sent over without me having to do anything, and other times I would have to prompt it. Every now and again I would have to build up my list from scratch. (I have a lot of contacts)

Is it any less/more secure? Yeah, I mean, it's less secure than having your information on an sdCard. It is certainly more reliable imo. It's a trade off - convenience vs security. Sure, we're only talking about BBM contact information, but it does show that for some things at least, the cloud can be useful. Especially for keeping track of any information that changes constantly.