BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel
Default Knowledge Sharing - Proper steps to upgrade BES Groupwise 4.1.6 and apply a MR

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I received these useful steps and wish to share:-

(1) Stop all BES services
(2) Backup DB
(3) Backup Registry
(4) Set BES services to manual
(5) Reboot
(6) Confirm all BES services still stopped and manual
(7) Apply BESG 4.1.6 base
(8) Do not start BES services
(9) Apply the MR
(10) Backup Registry
(11) Apply these registry keys:-

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BlackBerry IT Admin Server\
Name: SBThrottlingEnabled
Data Type: DWORD
Decimal Value: 1
1 = throttling will occur
0 = throttling will not occur
Description: Creating this registry key will enable service book throttling. The default limit is 60 service books per hour if this key is not present.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BlackBerry IT Admin Server\
Name: SBThrottleLimit
Decimal Value: 15
The default value used is 60 which is the number of service books that are allowed to be pushed out in an hour, so any value above or below (as long as it's > 0) could theoretically be entered.
Description: This will limit the number of service books sent to 15 per hour.
Remarks: Must have SBThrottlingEnabled set to DWORD=1 beforehand in order to work. When SBThrottlingEnabled is active (it isn't be default), SBThrottleLimit allows you to specify the number of service books that are allowed to be pushed out in an hour. If this key wasn't present, a default of 60 would be used.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\Blackberry Enterprise Server\GroupWise
Name: DisableDupFolderCleanup
Decimal Values: 1
1 - dup folder cleanup is disabled
0 - dup folder cleanup is enabled
Description: This Registry key will disable the new Duplicate Folder Cleanup process which was added to BESG 4.1.6. A customer could want to disable this process if all duplicate folders have been cleaned up and they don't want the overhead of this process, or if they are having problems with this cleanup process. The Duplicate Folder Cleanup will essentially go through the customers database for each user and see if they have any duplicate folders. If they do, it will then make sure it moves all emails that currently reside in the duplicate folders into the folder we will be keeping and then deletes all the duplicate folders and sends a new folder list to the device.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerry EnterpriseServer\GroupWise
Name: EnsureUserConfigUserNames
Decimal Values: 1
0 – do not correct existing UserConfig entries
1 – fix any users with a MailboxDN that doesn’t match their UserName
Description: It is set to 0 by default which means it is turned off, however if you set this registry key to anything greater then 0, the ADLSYNC process will then run the following SQL command to update any users who have had their displaynames changed. { "UPDATE UserConfig SET MailboxDN = UserName WHERE MailboxDN <> UserName" }.

(12) Open BlackBerry Manager, and in the left pane, select the BlackBerry Enterprise Server containing the affected BlackBerry smartphone users.
(13) Select Server Configuration, and expand Service Control and Customization.
(14) Click Synchronize GroupWise System Address Book or run GWSystemAddressBookSync.exe from the Command Prompt to browse any errors while running it.
(15) Restart Controller & All BES services
(16) The affected BlackBerry smartphone should be reinitialized within 20-30 minutes (depends on the number of users).

Old 09-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
CCK01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Thank you for the info
Old 10-31-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
rrensburg

Model: 9000
PIN: 213C882A
Carrier: MTN

Thanks "noname",

Very helpful! I am upgrading tomorrow and this will help me a lot.

Regards,
Reinhard.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
mgdugan

Model: 7130e
Carrier: verizon

Tried following the directions - made it to #7 and upon reboot install cannot finish. Kept getting errors - suspect an upgrade of SQL 2005 seperate from BES upgrade. I have to reload from scratch. Question is can I just load 4.1.6 exe and upload the backup of my BESMgmt db? I was on 4.1.3 when attempting to upgrade to 4.1.6. Any assist would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
noname

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.

The main objective is not to reboot the server after step 7, mgdugan. These steps were given by a GroupWise expert last year when there were tons of issues with the BESG 4.1 SP6 upgrade.

Later RIM came out with a KB article. The whole story is here:-

Article Title: How to install BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.1 SP6 MR3 for Novell GroupWise
Article Number: KB17075
Link: View Document

For your case, good thing you did backup the BESMgmt database. Call up your service provider and ask for a full installer version of the 4.1 SP6 installer. Also download the latest 4.1 SP6 MR6 and apply right after you have installed 4.1 SP6 and UNCHECKED the "Start Services" checkbox. Do not reboot the server until you have applied MR6.

Alternatively, sign up RIM's TSupport, their BESG supports are fantastic! =P Good luck!

Last edited by noname; 03-10-2010 at 10:02 AM..
Old 03-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
mgdugan

Default Proper steps to upgrad BES Groupwise 4.1.6 and apply a MR

Noname - thanks. I'm rebuilding as we speak. I appreciate your response because I wasn't able to get an earlier version of BES and could only get 4.1.6 full and was somewhat worried about the db coming over cleanly after the install. I was lucky enough to be given the task on creating and maintain the BES Groupwise server with no experience and to add insult to injury - no blackberry!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
mgdugan

Noname - an assist if possible - I reloaded the server from scratch - loaded MS Server 2003 R2, SQL 2005, GroupWise 6.5.6 REV 4 (Nov 6, 2006) loaded BESG 4.1.6 - and uncheck restart SERVICES. Then attempted to run MR6 afterwords. I got the following error - BLACKBERRY ENTERPRISE SERVER INSTALLATION - The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your compter and that you have the correct upgrade patch. The only choice I have is OK. Any ideas?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
noname

I don't think your server is quite ready. Snip of system requirements from 4.1.6 Install Guide.

operating system
Any of the following operating systems:
• Windows® 2000 SP4 Server or Advanced Server
• Windows Server® 2003 or later
• Windows Server 2003 or later (64-bit)
• Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2
• Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 (64-bit)

messaging server
Any of the following messaging servers installed physically close to where you plan to install the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server:
• Novell® GroupWise® version 6.5 SP7 or later on the NetWare® operating system, the Windows operating system, or the Linux® operating system
• Novell GroupWise version 7.0 SP2 or later on the NetWare operating system, the Windows operating system, or the Linux operating system

Minshall Algorithm
to support messaging, the Minshall Algorithm on the messaging server turned on

Novell GroupWise SOAP API
to support Novell GroupWise version 7.0 SOAP API mode, SOAP over SSL turned on in the POA

messaging client
Any of the following messaging clients installed on the computer that hosts the BlackBerry Enterprise Server:
• Novell GroupWise Client version 6.5 SP7 with the most current Field Test File
• Novell GroupWise Client version 7.0 SP2 or later (7.0 SP3 required for latest fixes)

Link: BlackBerry - Manuals and Guides