Old 11-22-2005, 09:51 AM   #41
Dusty Saddle
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_WayCool
Here we go. Upgraded my 7250 very carefully and all went well. Actually got some emails in when the upgrade completed. 1X was still there, so I did a *228/1 to update the program and now I get data connection refused. I suspect that my broadband access was not added properly. Customer service told me that it was not an add on feature, but a replace for the old unlimited plan at the same price....whatever. When my BB finally reboots, I will be on the phone with support, who chances are will either not know what is going on or can't help because something hasn't been enabled. I have dealt with Verizon Wireless before and always on the bleeding edge. There is a lot of pain, but once things get set right, it runs. Will update when complete.
Instead of dialing *228 Dial *22899 to get connected.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:51 AM   #42
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I wonder if Verizon released as expected to get a jump on Cingulars 8700.. From what I understand, EVDO is leaps and bounds ahead of EDGE and this move clearly gives Verizon the step up in high speed connections.

Besides the (obvious) international capabilities of the 8700, for a CDMA (read USA/Canda) use only, what advantages (sans 4.1 which I imagine the 7250 will get sometime soon) does the 8700 have that make it a worthwhile device?

I believe krad stated that once you got used to the 8700, it was after all a blackberry, if that is true.. it would seem that the 7250 evdo is the better option.

Thoughts?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:54 AM   #43
Dusty Saddle
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCapt10
I just got off a three way with data technical support and customer service. It took some time with data technical support (I actually had to give them the firmware website on smithmicro because they thought I meant the Blackberry 7130); however, customer support knew exactly what I was talking about. They added the Blackberry Broadband Connect (no charge) to my account which required me to have the unlimited plan blackberry data plan. I didn't pay close attention, but I think the code started with 17***. Not sure how big their call center is or how it even works, but the CS's rep name was Tiffany.

-David
David,

Code is 71764
Old 11-22-2005, 09:54 AM   #44
cgroftmc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I finally got it to work. My problem was the blackberry was timing out during authentication. It took about 20 min with a 2nd tier data person. I have the 10mb plan and was told that there is no extra charge. We will see.

Craig
Old 11-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #45
BGCapt10

Carrier: AT&T Wireless

I've also been able to tether with the VZW Access Manager on the SmithMicro site. It puts the blackberry into a Wireless Modem Mode (banner at the top). Now here's the real question, is it MOU or included in our data plans.

-David
Old 11-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #46
BB_WayCool

It always has to happen to someone. I think I am up the creek without a paddle. After getting data connection refused, I took the battery out to reboot and have the hourglass going now for a good 15 minutes, which even for this device is too long and that is on my second try. Will call VZW support, but will probably have to take it in for a manual reload.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:18 AM   #47
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Here we go. Upgraded my 7250 very carefully and all went well. Actually got some emails in when the upgrade completed. 1X was still there, so I did a *228/1 to update the program and now I get data connection refused. I suspect that my broadband access was not added properly. Customer service told me that it was not an add on feature, but a replace for the old unlimited plan at the same price....whatever. When my BB finally reboots, I will be on the phone with support, who chances are will either not know what is going on or can't help because something hasn't been enabled. I have dealt with Verizon Wireless before and always on the bleeding edge. There is a lot of pain, but once things get set right, it runs. Will update when complete.

Not sure if this is your problem, but you should've done a *228/2, not *228/1. I think option one is for programming a brand new phone.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:20 AM   #48
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Ok, got it done. Here's the how-to. Call 866-788-9387 Select Option 2 Option 2 Option 2

Tell them you want to add BroadbandAccess Connect. The feature code is 71764 no additional charge. Basically 71764 replaces the standard BB Unlimited code from what I understood.

Load the 4.0.2 software. When the phone comes up, it will say DATA CONNECTION REFUSED. The EVDO won't take effect until you do a *22899 which tells the phone to download the new feature code. Once connected, do a Register Now to make the phone download the new Preferred Roaming List which will tell the phone to roam into EVDO first and 1xRTT second.

I won't be able to try this for a while though. Our only 7250 user is a regional VP

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:21 AM   #49
stonent

Quote:
It always has to happen to someone. I think I am up the creek without a paddle. After getting data connection refused, I took the battery out to reboot and have the hourglass going now for a good 15 minutes, which even for this device is too long and that is on my second try. Will call VZW support, but will probably have to take it in for a manual reload.
After big software updates the phone typically takes 30 minutes to reboot.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:24 AM   #50
esemay

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Have any consumers had luck getting this added? The reps are sticking with this is a business only feature and will be release to consumers 1st Q 2006.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #51
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
One other thing the Data Support Team told me to do once I was activated was to go under the HRT under options. Click on the first entry and do a "Register Now".

-David
Thanks for the advice, didn't help. I still don't see 1XEV on my home screen. It looks like I may have to call VZW back.

I had the BroadbandAccess Connect added to my account, then downloaded the desktop manager software v4.1, then installed the firmware upgrade. I then did both a *228/2 and a *22899, followed David's advice above and registered the first entry in the HRT, have removed the battery several times and still do not get the 1XEV on my home screen.

Does anybody see any steps I am missing before I call tech support? I bet they're getting hit with a lot of calls today, the vast majority from BBForum community members!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #52
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by esemay
Have any consumers had luck getting this added? The reps are sticking with this is a business only feature and will be release to consumers 1st Q 2006.
Yeah, got it added first call. It's the same price as VZW's current BB unlimited data plan but has the BroadbandConnect Access feature included. So in reality, you are in essence "changing" your data plan from the BB unlimited data plan to the BB unlimited data plan w/BroadbandConnect Access, that's how it was explained to me. And believe me, if your rep is saying it is a business-only feature, he/she is either completely wrong, or a good deal of us snuck by this requirement. Keep trying, you may need to move up the hierarchy a bit and speak to someone with some clout.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:33 AM   #53
stooley

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Does anyone have the I2K Code?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #54
BGCapt10

Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmadrid
Thanks for the advice, didn't help. I still don't see 1XEV on my home screen. It looks like I may have to call VZW back.

I had the BroadbandAccess Connect added to my account, then downloaded the desktop manager software v4.1, then installed the firmware upgrade. I then did both a *228/2 and a *22899, followed David's advice above and registered the first entry in the HRT, have removed the battery several times and still do not get the 1XEV on my home screen.

Does anybody see any steps I am missing before I call tech support? I bet they're getting hit with a lot of calls today, the vast majority from BBForum community members!
I guess I have to ask the obvious question, are you currently in an area covered by EVDO?

-David
Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 AM   #55
esemay

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

2nd time is a charm. Here in NY the feature code is MNAI3. Downloading the software now - hopefully it works.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #56
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I guess I have to ask the obvious question, are you currently in an area covered by EVDO?

-David
You would think that's an obvious question that I would have already answered for myself, but I had not.

I checked the BroadbandAccess coverage and my home city is not included. Looks like its only major US cities that are currently covered. I am assuming that Broadband Access and EVDO are synonymous, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

If so, that explains it. What's interesting is that if I'm not in the coverage area my browsing speed has still increased. I'll be making a trip to Denver, CO in the next few days, that will tell me for sure.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #57
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
2nd time is a charm. Here in NY the feature code is MNAI3. Downloading the software now - hopefully it works.
When you say feature code, are you talking about the code you would give the VZW tech so they would know what to add to your data plan (BroadbandAccess feature code)?

Glad you got it working!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #58
stonent

I declare this thread needs to be stickied!

Old 11-22-2005, 10:45 AM   #59
stooley

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
This is the code that the tech added to mine as well. We are working on it still though. Says I am still showing a 1x profile.

Last edited by stooley; 11-22-2005 at 10:49 AM..
Old 11-22-2005, 10:52 AM   #60
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooley
This is the code that the tech added to mine as well. We are working on it still though. Says I am still showing a 1x profile.
Where in NY are you located?

I think I'm having some problems because I live in Colorado, but Denver is the only city that appears to have BroadbandAccess coverage. May be the same issue for you, not sure. I'll probably make a call here soon to VZW so I can lay this whole thing to rest and know where I stand.