Old 12-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
theduskes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 22b385ea
Carrier: Telus
Angry Storm?? More like "sh%t Storm"

Please Login to Remove!

Telus called me and offered me a free storm...had it shipped to my office....
activated it yesterday....

Let me count the ways that this phones..in my preliminary testing,, SUCKS!

The touch pad sucks...i glide my finger over the buttons and half the time....it does not work...
there is no "Stand BY" on the phone...WHAT THE HELL????
the lock disengages as soon as the button on top is lightly touched causing my phone to call or do soemthing else unbeknowst to me....
Google maps....keyboard stays put...cannot remove it for full view so I have only a half screen.
cannot dial from home screen like my old 8830
did I mention the touch screen scrolling sucks...
battery holds for less then a day....and it's been slow week for me for my business ...I usually get about 200-300 emails a day...Im waiting to see when we get back into the full swing of things how long the battery will last.
portrait mode sure type is just ok....But there is no "." or "?" on the suretype keypad...I need to head to 123 to insert one.,...landscape qwerty is no better
When im in email...I hit compse and it asked me what i want to send....
I WANT TO SEND AN EMAIL!!! not text or anything else....my 8830 never asked me that....
I have bluetooth in the car..with my 8830 it was a cinch to initiate...with this unit...when i added the device....left the car....and then came back...the request for paskey...getting coming up and dissapearing while the keypad switched between numbers and suretype so rapidly I thought I was going to have a seizure....
Im so dissapointed.....I've never been so upset about a phone before...and my 8830 was a dream to use...and i never had a problem with it...now I fear that if I get rid of my new storm and go back to my 8830..im beyond the tech loop until RIM brings a Bold for Telus, or add's another full Non virtual qwerty to their Telus destined line up....
I hope RIM is reading this....I hope they will fix the bugs...and get me a STAND BY option on their next OS update....

Does anyone else feel my pain? Am i over reacting?
does any body see any work around issues for all or any of my above noted issues with this Storm????

UGH!!!!!

Last edited by theduskes; 12-24-2008 at 09:31 PM..
Old 12-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
svclee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Maybe it needs a OS upgrade? Or maybe they just sent you a SUCKY ONE!

Lots of nice tips here that might help you resolve a issue or two: Storm Tips, How To & FAQ - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Last edited by svclee; 12-24-2008 at 09:40 PM..
Old 12-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Moved: Rants and Rave.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Sounds like you have spent no time to read a manual or get use to a touch screen device. Hate it that much return it. Simple.

And the email sms mms pin IM option started in OS 4.6 so keep that in mind if you ever want a new device.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #5
theduskes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 22b385ea
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
Sounds like you have spent no time to read a manual or get use to a touch screen device. Hate it that much return it. Simple.

And the email sms mms pin IM option started in OS 4.6 so keep that in mind if you ever want a new device.
I read everything....
I'm going back to my 8830
Old 12-25-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I guess that ends that. Should I close this thread?
Old 12-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #7
michelin

Model: 9630
Carrier: verzion

I love storm..no problem here..
Old 12-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Rainbowtyedye
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
PIN: 312902DF

RIM offers different models for different wants and needs.

Personally, I don't see any reason why I would want a Storm over my 8830, except maybe for the more recent OS. The touch screen doesn't excite me and most of the bells and whistles on the Storm are just enhanced bells and whistles found on the 8830 anyway.

But just because I know I wouldn't like the Storm doesn't mean it's a "Sh%t Storm", just means that it's not for me.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #9
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

These are all issues that have been discussed numerous times on the 9530 section of the forum, too if you don't like it, return it. The Storm isn't for everyone.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #10
regener8ed

actually, i was thinking my "storm is the sh%zzn%t"
Old 12-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
SpectreBlofeld
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630

Well, since it was free, you can at least tell people it was worth every penny you paid for it
Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
patrick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: VERIZON

I'm sorry--but I agree --as I mentioned in another thread--2 phones, 3 weeks--its going back. It is not designed for the professional business use and I errored in getting it to start with. Guess my only VZW option will be the curve unless I change away from the BB
Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduskes View Post
Telus called me and offered me a free storm...had it shipped to my office....
activated it yesterday....

Let me count the ways that this phones..in my preliminary testing,, SUCKS!

The touch pad sucks...i glide my finger over the buttons and half the time....it does not work...
Possibly OS related, try 4.7.0.75 - also, see my response to your next touchscreen complaint.

Quote:
there is no "Stand BY" on the phone...WHAT THE HELL????
Elaborate. What do you need a 'stand by' feature for? Or perhaps I don't understand what you mean by 'stand by' that the phone doesn't already provide.

Hitting the power button puts it into sleep mode. Leaving it alone for a few minutes puts it into a 'ready' mode where the phone is dark, but can receive calls/emails, etc. That's what I consider 'stand by'...

Quote:
the lock disengages as soon as the button on top is lightly touched causing my phone to call or do soemthing else unbeknowst to me....
Try a password to lock the device if you don't want it to unlock accidentally. Even a password of one digit might work for you.

Quote:
Google maps....keyboard stays put...cannot remove it for full view so I have only a half screen.
The version of Google Maps you used was either running in compatibility mode (go into options> advanced options> applications and hit the menu button when Google Maps is highlighted), or you had an old version altogether. Mine is full screen, and it can go to landscape mode just fine.

Quote:
cannot dial from home screen like my old 8830
Ok, how would you expect to do this? There are no digits or keys on the screen to dial from the home screen. Guess what the shortcut is? Its the green phone button.

Quote:
did I mention the touch screen scrolling sucks...
There have been various posts that give some great tips on how to speed up your touchscreen experiences, like this one and this one.

Quote:
battery holds for less then a day....and it's been slow week for me for my business ...I usually get about 200-300 emails a day...Im waiting to see when we get back into the full swing of things how long the battery will last.
It sounds like you have have Bluetooth enabled? This can make a difference. Also, reduce your screen brightness. I will concur that the battery life isn't the best...I for one am looking forward to the Seido extended battery (15% cap. increase) or the super extended battery (90% cap. increase).

Quote:
portrait mode sure type is just ok....But there is no "." or "?" on the suretype keypad...I need to head to 123 to insert one.,...landscape qwerty is no better
I do agree with you on this - it is a little frustrating to switch to the number pad to enter these.

Quote:
When im in email...I hit compse and it asked me what i want to send....
I WANT TO SEND AN EMAIL!!! not text or anything else....my 8830 never asked me that....
OK, lets be clear; When you click on the envelope icon, you are not just viewing 'Email'. You are in the 'Messaging' application, which includes everything that is considered a message to the BlackBerry. That means SMS, MMS, EMails, BlackBerry Messenger notifications, Google Talk, AIM, PIN messages...etc. will all appear here. So, it seems only natural that you are offered these choices when clicking 'compose'.

Quote:
I have bluetooth in the car..with my 8830 it was a cinch to initiate...with this unit...when i added the device....left the car....and then came back...the request for paskey...getting coming up and dissapearing while the keypad switched between numbers and suretype so rapidly I thought I was going to have a seizure....
Again, may be an OS issue. There was a glitch with the two keyboard layouts appearing on top of each other. Also, be wary of the angle you hold it.

Quote:
Im so dissapointed.....I've never been so upset about a phone before...and my 8830 was a dream to use...and i never had a problem with it...now I fear that if I get rid of my new storm and go back to my 8830..im beyond the tech loop until RIM brings a Bold for Telus, or add's another full Non virtual qwerty to their Telus destined line up....
I hope RIM is reading this....I hope they will fix the bugs...and get me a STAND BY option on their next OS update....

Does anyone else feel my pain? Am i over reacting?
does any body see any work around issues for all or any of my above noted issues with this Storm????
If the 8330 was a dream to use, why did you get the Storm?

When you are an early-adopter, you are on the bleeding edge. Customers always use a device outside of the parameters in which RIMs technicians test them. Could they have tested the OS more before release? Certainly. Is the device without its quirks? Definitely not. Should you abandon it? If it doesn't do what you need it to do, then yes. Come back when it's been road-tested for a while and the glitches have been worked out.

I for one have finally "crossed the threshold" and LOVE my Storm.

Last edited by qc_metal; 12-29-2008 at 03:48 PM..
Old 12-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
MarkF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT

I caved. I've been using the Storm since 12/8 and I can't stand it any longer so I'm back to the Bold. I spent more time correcting my mistakes (typing and navigating) than anything else. I've been using Blackberries for close to 9 years (started with the 957 - talk about battery life!) and I just couldn't adjust to the Storm. One thing I will miss though is the web browsing speeds, EVDO really puts 3G to shame IMHO.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #15
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
One thing I will miss though is the web browsing speeds, EVDO really puts 3G to shame IMHO.
EVDO is 3G, you mean AT&T's 3G.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #16
MarkF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
EVDO is 3G, you mean AT&T's 3G.
Well yes, technically speaking they ARE both 3G but I'm betting that 95% of the people reading that knew what I was talking about without getting into a discourse on the different standards currently available in the 3GPP and the 3GPP2 families
Old 12-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #17
bigbda1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

How much did you pay for it?? Oh, nothing.
Closed Thread