Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #21
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: [TechCrunch] RIM: You’re Done Here

Please Login to Remove!

Article seemed pretty spot on to me. Not surprised the fanboys here can't see it.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #22
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Article seemed pretty spot on to me. Not surprised the fanboys here can't see it.
You know what I think said it all? When they brought the Playbook out and it couldn't do email!!! If that didn't speak to a level of desperation and ridiculously bad mismanagement that is so silly it's almost hard to put into words I don't know what does.

When I saw that I could almost hear their internal justification - "this is no different than Apple bringing out the iPad without multitasking and adding it later with an upgrade". But what it was actually like is if Apple had brought out the iPad and it couldn't play iTunes content.

I mean come on, what is THE thing you think about when you think of BB - great email! So suddenly they bring out their very first product based on a new OS and a new paradigm and it can't do email! It made them look hilariously bad.

I really do hope the next gen phones are exciting. I think they could be right back in the ball game if they could bring out a great device with a high rez screen and a sleek OS that does everything else they do so great. I'd consider moving back. I waited 3 years to move away from my Bold. I've decided to move to about a 1-year turnaround on phones they way they are improving right now so I can see myself moving back, if not to a BB, to the next greatest Android or iPhone.

Last edited by David Haddad; 07-02-2011 at 07:28 PM..
Old 07-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #23
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

I've been doing email on my PlayBook since the day it came out. True, through the bridge, but before that I had an iPad that did email, and I found it so anoying that it wouldn't sync with my Imap server the way the Blackberry did that I deleted my email accounts from it.

I understand that a lot of people don't appreciate the way the PlayBook does email now, and I understand that it may have sold a little better if it had stand alone email and PIM clients on launch day. The truth is I wouldn't use them. I know it makes the PlayBook less useful (or even useless) if you don't already have a BlackBerry. But if you look at their product line, that is the way it is. It is (although I hate the term) an echosystem. A BlackBerry without any data plan is somewhat useful, one with a regular data plan slightly more, with BIS very useful, and with BES the best mobile business communications device available. The PlayBook as an addition to a BlackBerry with BES is not, IMHO, not a lesser device for the lack of stand alone email and PIM.

There are a lot of things I would like to see RIM add to the PlayBook on the next update, but standalone email and PIM aren't on the list.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #24
jordanmike

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile

i have faith on RIM, cause nobody else is better than RIM on pushmail and the communication safety
Old 07-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #25
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmike View Post
i have faith on RIM, cause nobody else is better than RIM on pushmail and the communication safety
I think one of the problems is that as users we often base our opinions on old data and don't really even appreciate what other devices are doing unless we own them. One of the reasons I held off on moving away from BB for so long was that when I got my first BB it was the only device that could do push email and even do it on multiple accounts. I actually remember when other devices could only send email at 15 or 30 minute intervals.

I can assure you that on my Android device I have instant "push", I receive email within seconds of hitting the send button. I even kept my BB activated when I bought the Android because I did not know if I would stick with it. I got my email on the Android just as fast as on the BB.

Not only that, I can access multiple exchange accounts on my Android, and I have functionality (using touchdown by nitro) that isn't even available on BB such as categories for *everything*.

Security is a non-issue, iPhones and android are being rolled out at the enterprise level all over the place. I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone here to switch, I'm just telling you that the areas where RIM used to have a big advantage the other players are now close enough that it's a non-issue.

Last edited by David Haddad; 07-03-2011 at 05:02 AM..
Old 07-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #26
Magnafan

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido

Just to add a bit of spice to the stew:

I was certain ten years ago that Apple was DOA.

Also, you must know the stock players' game. Bad-mouth a company publically while you buy up all the stock the weak-kneed are selling. Remember, for every share that's sold, a share is bought.

I have to admit that I could be seduced by the sexy screens of the Android and iPad. But, when I see the $$$ of a data plan, I quickly lose interest. I think the BB data compression keeps data costs reasonable. I might be wrong, though. Priority one in business is the bottom line. If BB can keep their bottom-line $$$ advantage for business and their BBM security, they could pull through.

Last edited by Magnafan; 07-03-2011 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Removed one of my dumber ideas.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #27
applauz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: iPhon
Carrier: Rogers

I highly believe that RIM will be sold in pieces.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #28
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnafan View Post
I was certain ten years ago that Apple was DOA.
Apple pulled off the most amazing corporate turnaround in the history of business. For every Apple there are 1000 Palms.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #29
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

OUCH! More comments

Employee rips RIM bosses in open letter - Computerworld
Old 07-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #30
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

The full letter was actually quite good, that article doesn't do it justice, and it was supposedly verified it was from a high level employee. Not really a fan of someone that would do that, but it was interesting. RIM actually later issued a response to it, but it was just fluff, talking about how "excited they are about continuing to bring out great new products that people love", no response whatsoever to the actual letter. IMO it would have been better to just ignore it, the response actually sort of confirmed what the letter said re: heads in sand.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #31
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

A lot of big companys have lost the understanding on what their business is. The MBA's they hired years ago are now in control and the only thing they understand is bottom line. Innovation cost money and delaying saves money but as it was pointed out by others, they loose the customer and market share. The next thing they will do is look to sell parts or in some cases even stop a product. They dont understand the market just the stock price. It's like some mobile carriers that have poor networks. Keep up the claims and all will go away. Notice the various marketing on dropped calls has disappeared but the push to convince customers that 4G is working well is nice and strong.
Closed Thread