dualsub2006
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: Head
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo View Post
I'm still a bit hesitant in upgrading to Google Voice. Not sure why though, I just am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I'm still figuring this out but I'm with you on this. I guess it is just one more consolidation of OUR data into one account - easier to keep track of everything we do/call/visit/search etc being combined in one nice tidy account eventually. BIG GOOGLE, ahem, Brother.
All of this data about you already exists out there. Whomever you are using for email has that data. Your ISP knows EVERYTHING that you do and some have in the past even allowed 3rd parties to place servers inside their data centers to inject ads based on your activities. RIM has your data. Your carrier has all of your call logs, voicemail recordings, server logs from data access AND GPS information about where you were, when you were there and where you went next.

Mail, calendar, call logs, documents, RSS feeds, voicemail. It's out there already. The recent urban legend about Verizon sharing all call, voicemail, browsing and location information with third parties brought this to the minds of a lot of people who had never thought of it before.

There isn't a single company out there that NEEDS to value my privacy even more than I do. It's Google. I do trust that while they are using keywords in my email to serve me ads they are going to keep my email secure and not share my usage habits and interests with 3rd parties without my permission, per their TOS.

My previous bank had a data breach. I got my money back, but they lost my trust and I moved all of my accounts to another bank. A lot of people went with me. A lot. The same would happen with Google and that would kill their business.

Someone is going to collect all of this data. Be it one company or MANY, someone is collecting it. I trust Google to keep it secure.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #22
dualsub2006

Quote:
How user friendly is the mobile site. www.google.com/voice/m
I like the new site. It presents your messages with transcripts in threaded view and gives you reply options. The argument that the old site was more concise it a good one, but it didn't have transcripts.

You can initiate a call to someone that isn't in your address book, you can initiate an SMS that will appear from your GV number and you can change all of your settings from the new mobile site.

I really like it, but a mobile app for BlackBerry, iPhone and WinMo has to be coming. Doing all this through the browser is too time consuming IMHO.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #23
LizL

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmo
Default gVoice smart dialing??

It looks like a mobile app would just be a shortcut to the website.

It would be great if you Blackberry dudes could figure out if I could put something in my phones>options>smart dialing that would place my gVoice number and a 2 before all the numbers
Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #24
dualsub2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizL View Post
Your indications of a shortcut being the app or speculative and incorrect.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #25
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
I like the new site. It presents your messages with transcripts in threaded view and gives you reply options. The argument that the old site was more concise it a good one, but it didn't have transcripts.

You can initiate a call to someone that isn't in your address book, you can initiate an SMS that will appear from your GV number and you can change all of your settings from the new mobile site.

I really like it, but a mobile app for BlackBerry, iPhone and WinMo has to be coming. Doing all this through the browser is too time consuming IMHO.
Gotcha, I upgraded and I do like the new features. I especially like this new quick call or sms function. With that said, I can not edit a contact in GVmobile. I could very easily edit a contact in GCmobile.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #26
dualsub2006

Quote:
Gotcha, I upgraded and I do like the new features. I especially like this new quick call or sms function. With that said, I can not edit a contact in GVmobile. I could very easily edit a contact in GCmobile.
That's true. The address book is shared with Gmail and you also cannot edit a contact with either the Gmail mobile website or with the Gmail app. I don't know what the deal is with that.

I edit my contacts on the go with the BB address book. Google Sync gets that back to my Gmail account (and now Google Voice) and then from there it makes it way to Outlook. I can force a sync if I need it in the Gmail mobile app right away, but I could count on one hand with fingers left over the number of times that I have needed to do it that quickly.

In GrandCentral mobile the edit that I made most was changing the phone number for a generic contact that I kept for placing calls. Now with the quick call I don't have to do that. I have learned to live with it like it is.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:50 AM   #27
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Your account is not yet ready to be upgraded. Please check back shortly. :(
Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #28
dualsub2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Your account is not yet ready to be upgraded. Please check back shortly. :(
Is that what you are seeing in your GrandCentral inbox? If so, did you see the upgrade notice in there and not do it right away? I have heard from a number of people that the upgrade notice was in their inbox, they passed at that time for whatever reason and then the upgrade notice changed to what you posted.

I can only assume, because I ca't get a confirmation, that during the first days of the transition that it was a now or wait a while proposition. I DO know that Google is ratcheting up the number of people that they are including in each wave and they want to have current GC users to be offered an upgrade invite this week.

That said, when they send the invite, I would hop on it if you are actually wanting to do the upgrade.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #29
gshine666
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: to.

My notice has changed from the "not ready to be upgraded" to "will be upgraded soon".
Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #30
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
Is that what you are seeing in your GrandCentral inbox? If so, did you see the upgrade notice in there and not do it right away? I have heard from a number of people that the upgrade notice was in their inbox, they passed at that time for whatever reason and then the upgrade notice changed to what you posted.

I can only assume, because I ca't get a confirmation, that during the first days of the transition that it was a now or wait a while proposition. I DO know that Google is ratcheting up the number of people that they are including in each wave and they want to have current GC users to be offered an upgrade invite this week.

That said, when they send the invite, I would hop on it if you are actually wanting to do the upgrade.
Never saw it in my inbox havent used this thing in over a year. Just started back when i got my new job.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #31
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshine666 View Post
My notice has changed from the "not ready to be upgraded" to "will be upgraded soon".
Just checked and thats what mine says now as well
Old 03-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #32
anesone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizL View Post

It would be great if you Blackberry dudes could figure out if I could put something in my phones>options>smart dialing that would place my gVoice number and a 2 before all the numbers
They need to figure out how the folks at SlyDial do it. I can go into Contacts, click on the menu button, select Slydial, and it asks me which number to dial (Mobile/Home) if multiple exist. Once you select one, it connects your call.

It would be great if GV had an app that integrated like that.

Last edited by anesone; 03-18-2009 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: added quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #33
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Just checked and thats what mine says now as well
Mine said the same
Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #34
wu-wei

Model: 9700
PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Woohoo! I just finished upgrading.

Now it's time to rummage around and break stuff...
Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #35
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu-wei View Post
Woohoo! I just finished upgrading.

Now it's time to rummage around and break stuff...
Still waiting......
Old 03-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #36
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Not sure what's so cool about it. So far, I find it pretty underwhelming. No truly NEW functionality added to the game.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 03-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #37
dualsub2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Not sure what's so cool about it. So far, I find it pretty underwhelming. No truly NEW functionality added to the game.
I don't know about you, but I find the SMS and transcription features to be truly new >>for this service<<. Also, the ability to initiate a call to a number not in your address book is really kind of a big deal for me.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:28 AM   #38
Dawg
No longer Registered.

ok mines changed but havent tried any of the features yet
Old 03-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #39
anesone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesone View Post
They need to figure out how the folks at SlyDial do it. I can go into Contacts, click on the menu button, select Slydial, and it asks me which number to dial (Mobile/Home) if multiple exist. Once you select one, it connects your call.

It would be great if GV had an app that integrated like that.
Follow up: Just checked out CardCaller.com, and they have directions on their homepage for Google Voice users. It looks pretty straightforward, and I'll report back once I've given it a try.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #40
dualsub2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesone View Post
Follow up: Just checked out CardCaller.com, and they have directions on their homepage for Google Voice users. It looks pretty straightforward, and I'll report back once I've given it a try.
I've tried it, and it's ok. It is not very well thought out in terms of layout or the steps that you have to take to use it. It is a memory hog and there seems to be a lot of network activity when it is running. The mobile Voice site might be slower, but I think I will just stick with that.
Closed Thread