looks good too
Old 03-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #22
YMark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
Found the Rex Regina website --> CLICK HERE!
That is one p!ss poor website. I hope their case designers are better than their web designer.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 AM   #23
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark View Post
That is one p!ss poor website. I hope their case designers are better than their web designer.
The Rex Regina cases are top notch. I have had the chance to use several sample cases on my Bold, and Curve. As a reference, I felt the cases were as good or better than the Sena Cases I have used.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #24
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

I can confirm!

My 18month old OEM Blackberry 8300 pouch works with my 8900 with the skin on. It also engages the sleeper function with, no matter what direction its facing!

I was so happy! I should buy a new one!

The OEM case I bought for the 8900 blows! I'm unhappy with it. Althought it is nice, and provides more converage, theres no way I can fit it with the darn skin on, hell its even tight with the phone itself! Its still sitting on my shelf with a stack of business cards stuck in it, in hopes it will stretch out. If not, i'm off to buy me another 8300 case!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #25
rtc11

Model: 9300
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Responding to Jack T. Chance.

1. Because I have less than 10 posts I cannot Paste a Link!
2. I never said Rex Regina had a 8900 case. I said I was using my old 8300 case and it was top quality.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #26
tingcrab

PIN: N/A
Carrier: CMCC Peoples

Bought my silicon case for it after a week of purchase, I would buy it immediately right after the phone purchase but it was too new in HK.

Then I found this one for USD$5 and use it til now, wait for better silicon or genuine pouch from BlackBerry.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #27
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Question

When I got my 8900, I sold my 8300 -- and got to keep the 8300 OEM vertical leather case (which I had loved - perfect case).

I tried the 3/4 length OEM slip case that came with the 8900, and to this day, despite attempting to stretch it, the fit is WAY too tight.

I tried the old 8300 case, and although it was a teensy bit large, it worked very well with the 8900 -- no problems re sleeper magnet -- worked fine with the 8900 facing front or back.

Unfortunately, I had the phone, in the 8300 case, on my belt a few days ago when I was bending down and trying to untangle a mess of network patch cables, and the 8900 (in the 8300 case) hit my leg, and the whole thing popped off my belt - breaking the belt clip right at the spring-loaded hinge. Irreparable (unless I want to mess around with Krazy Glue and make an attempt - but I don't think it's worth it).

I had been on the lookout for a new 8900-specific case but the search wasn't urgent since I had the 8300 case. Now all of a sudden, I don't!

I DO have an old 8800 (Verizon World Phone) OEM version of the same case that I got from a friend who returned his "World Phone" to Verizon, and that's what holds my 8900 for the moment. It's certainly TOO BIG, but it's better than nothing while I decide what case to get. BTW: the sleeper magnet in the 8800 case DOES work with the 8900.

So: I tried a Storm case last night, and the sleeper magnet is in the wrong place.

I tried an 8300 horizontal case from T-Mobile, and the magnet worked, but the case feels oversized and the 8900 slides around in it.

I saw the 8900 open holster they're now selling at T-Mobile retail stores. Not terrible, but absolutely no protection if you smack or drop the phone (except the back is covered). Nice to show off your pretty phone, but I want something protect my pretty phone!

I've been considering the Innocase II -- but I LIKE the feel of the "naked" blackberry, and think it's a shame to lose that in order to get an Innocase II. Not sure it's worth the trade-off to me. If I do get this, I'll get a combo with either the rubberized holster, or horizontal leather case.

I'm at a loss. Everything I read suggests that OEM 8900 cases are all too tight. But from experience I know that 8300 cases are a bit loose -- and I don't want to spend $25 to $30 getting something that's a mediocre fit.

Perplexed!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #28
brentcizek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

Quote:
After a couple weeks of constantly checking T-Mobile corporate stores, and other brick & mortar retailers that carry genuine RIM BlackBerry leather pouches, I FINALLY found my pouch a few days ago. Here's what's currently holding my 8900 when it's not in use:

http://www.shopblackberry.com/prodim...olster_blk.jpg

Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "but that's the leather pouch for the 8300 Curves! It doesn't work right because the Holster Mode magnets are in the wrong place!" And just a week or 2 ago, you would have been correct!

However... with absolutely NO mention that it was coming out (it's not listed on their website with the other 8900 cases) RIM has issued an updated version of this leather pouch that is FULLY COMPATIBLE with the 8900! When you look at the Device Compatibility sticker on the back of the package, it clearly lists 8900. I tested it at the store before purchasing it. It engages Holster Mode, regardless of whether you put it in with the screen facing in, or facing outward.

It's also nowhere NEAR as tight as this one...

...which he also had, and which several of you have said is too tight until it's been broken in from a few weeks of use. I can confirm that it is VERY tight at first, which is why I passed on it.

So, I'm seeing how the one I bought does for me. I'm still not used to the narrow little "strap" that holds the BlackBerry in... I'm used to the full flap of the 8700g leather swivel holster...

http://www.shopblackberry.com/prodim...l_holster1.gif

...a design I wish RIM had stuck with. I'm also pretty sure the magnet to hold the flap closed was a little stronger on the 8700 version, and therefore more secure.
so...are you telling me that I can order this case from blackberry... i want it...

did they improve the clips at all? i never wear a belt, so i just clip it too my jeans pocket and it seems the clips just are strong enough to grab onto that little of material with out sliding out.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #29
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark View Post
LOL! I hope so, as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtc11 View Post
1. Because I have less than 10 posts I cannot Paste a Link!
Well, did you even TRY copying & pasting the URL into your post? Even if it's not a clickable hot link, we still would have known what the URL WAS!
Quote:
2. I never said Rex Regina had a 8900 case. I said I was using my old 8300 case and it was top quality.
You're right, that was merely a misunderstanding on my part. I reread your post and saw that I had missed the part about it being an 8300 case.

The REAL test of whether or not these cases truly put your phone into Holster Mode is the Vibrating Alert. I have my phone set for Tone only out of the holster, and Vibrate + Tone when in the holster. Before I got the 8900 case, I was using a 3rd party leather holster for the 8700. The magnets that held the flap closed were strong enough to lock my keys when I put it in the holster, and once the keys are locked, the screen turns off within a couple seconds. But it did not RELIABLY enter the TRUE Holster Mode, and I know this because the vibrating alert didn't always happen when it was in the holster. With the RIM 8900 holster, it vibrates every time!

Now if only RIM would get enough of a clue to put a much stronger vibration motor in these phones... I rarely, if ever, feel it vibrating on my hip. I can only feel it vibrating maybe 1 time out of 10, which defeats the purpose of the vibrating alert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcizek View Post
so...are you telling me that I can order this case from blackberry... i want it...
I assume you're referring to the case I purchased, which is this one...

...in which case, the answer is
NO, you can NOT order it directly from RIM. It is NOT available at RIM's Online Store, for reasons I'm not privy to.

I just realized that in my previous post, I completely forgot to mention where I found it... I was at the Mall in Columbia (Columbia, MD) and found it at one of those little cell phone accessory kiosks... I believe the name of the place is Cellairis or something like that. It's on the lower level, near the food court, if any of you happen to live in MD and want to hit them up for an official leather holster for your 8900.

I remember thinking how odd it was that THEY were carrying the official RIM pouches, because those places usually only stock cheap, Chinese-made crap. And they're the ONLY retailer in the area that I've found so far that's stocking any RIM-made pouches for the 8900 at all.

You can try the cell phone accessory kiosk(s) in your local shopping mall, but there's absolutely NO guarantee that your local dealer will actually stock the official cases from RIM.
Quote:
did they improve the clips at all? i never wear a belt, so i just clip it too my jeans pocket and it seems the clips just are strong enough to grab onto that little of material with out sliding out.
The design is definitely changed from the swivel clip on my 8700 holster... I don't know that it's necessarily been changed for the better, though. Here's a few pics I snapped with my 8900's camera:

vinmontRD, you might also want to look for this case and see if you can find it, either in a brick & mortar store, or online. Since you liked the 8300 version, it would probably be right up your alley.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 03-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #30
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
LOL! I hope so, as well! Well, did you even TRY copying & pasting the URL into your post? Even if it's not a clickable hot link, we still would have known what the URL WAS! You're right, that was merely a misunderstanding on my part. I reread your post and saw that I had missed the part about it being an 8300 case.

The REAL test of whether or not these cases truly put your phone into Holster Mode is the Vibrating Alert. I have my phone set for Tone only out of the holster, and Vibrate + Tone when in the holster. Before I got the 8900 case, I was using a 3rd party leather holster for the 8700. The magnets that held the flap closed were strong enough to lock my keys when I put it in the holster, and once the keys are locked, the screen turns off within a couple seconds. But it did not RELIABLY enter the TRUE Holster Mode, and I know this because the vibrating alert didn't always happen when it was in the holster. With the RIM 8900 holster, it vibrates every time!

Now if only RIM would get enough of a clue to put a much stronger vibration motor in these phones... I rarely, if ever, feel it vibrating on my hip. I can only feel it vibrating maybe 1 time out of 10, which defeats the purpose of the vibrating alert.

NO, you can NOT order it directly from RIM. It is NOT available at RIM's Online Store, for reasons I'm not privy to.

I just realized that in my previous post, I completely forgot to mention where I found it... I was at the Mall in Columbia (Columbia, MD) and found it at one of those little cell phone accessory kiosks... I believe the name of the place is Cellairis or something like that. It's on the lower level, near the food court, if any of you happen to live in MD and want to hit them up for an official leather holster for your 8900.

I remember thinking how odd it was that THEY were carrying the official RIM pouches, because those places usually only stock cheap, Chinese-made crap. And they're the ONLY retailer in the area that I've found so far that's stocking any RIM-made pouches for the 8900 at all.

You can try the cell phone accessory kiosk(s) in your local shopping mall, but there's absolutely NO guarantee that your local dealer will actually stock the official cases from RIM.
The design is definitely changed from the swivel clip on my 8700 holster... I don't know that it's necessarily been changed for the better, though. Here's a few pics I snapped with my 8900's camera:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...00Holster1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...00Holster2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...00Holster3.jpg

vinmontRD, you might also want to look for this case and see if you can find it, either in a brick & mortar store, or online. Since you liked the 8300 version, it would probably be right up your alley.
all the holsters look like that now. They have been for about 6 months. If your still getting the old one, its old inventory.

My "old" 8300 style pouch works on my 8900. The older one doesn't have the logo on the plastic clip, and is looser.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #31
brentcizek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

Quote:
LOL! I hope so, as well! Well, did you even TRY copying & pasting the URL into your post? Even if it's not a clickable hot link, we still would have known what the URL WAS! You're right, that was merely a misunderstanding on my part. I reread your post and saw that I had missed the part about it being an 8300 case.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...00Holster1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...00Holster2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...00Holster3.jpg

Thanks Buddy. Looks like the clip is the same as my last curve case. but..i like the case. I ordered a horizontal case through fommy.com but its on backorder and ive heard people complain that its too snug...so im glad i saw your post...

you should go back to the mall and buy me one lol
Old 03-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #32
Bushwack
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T

FWIW...I've only had my 8900 for a few days, but I use a SmartPhone Experts sidepouch (yes, with a belt clip) and it works great. Bought it at Crackberry for $25.00. Here is the link (copy and paste if necessary): http://http://shop.crackberry.com/smartphone-experts-sidepouch/4A120A2454.htm Smartphone Experts SidePouch for BlackBerry Curve 8900, Curve 8330, Curve 8320, Curve 8310, Curve 8300 - ShopCrackBerry
No skins aloud as the BB probably won't fit in the pouch.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #33
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Just got my Seidio Innocase II and it's great! The clips are working well, it fits perfectly, it has a nice grip to it. Well worth the money :D. Thanks Seidio!!!

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 03-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #34
strike2tamu

Someone using best skins ever, could you post a pic of the end product?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #35
member666

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike2tamu View Post
Someone using best skins ever, could you post a pic of the end product?
Yeah, I would like to see too please.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #36
hearmeoutx

Carrier: T-mobile

For those who want a end result picture for a BSE there is a review on it for the 8900 over at CrackBerry. I have one sitting on my Bureau. I am planning on installing it tonight. I have a BSE screen on my phone right now, but I have not gotten around to putting on the full body protector yet. I am debating whether I want the Innocase II or the extended battery with my BSE on the front of the phone.

BestSkinsEver Screen Review W/PICS - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Last edited by hearmeoutx; 03-15-2009 at 05:47 PM..
Old 03-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #37
strike2tamu

Thank you.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #38
yyhhcc

Carrier: Maxis

Hi,
anyone still using the original sleeve that comes with the set after applying the BSE? The sleeve is tight, so i am wondering if i can still fit the curvy in after BSE...
Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #39
berrylow

Carrier: movistar

BB black sking and my old 8310 BB case, fits nicely with skin on.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #40
DrMoze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhhcc View Post
Hi,
anyone still using the original sleeve that comes with the set after applying the BSE? The sleeve is tight, so i am wondering if i can still fit the curvy in after BSE...
I have BSE on my 8900. Sliding it in and out of the RIM leather pouch is a bit tight but not too bad. There's lots of room at the top to grab the 8900 and pull it out. it may loosen up over time.

The most elegant play-thru cases BY FAR are the Vaja cases, which work fine with BSE's installed. I had that combo on my gf's Pearl for 2 years. The Vaja cases have great workmanship (noticeably different than all the generic leather pouches you see everywhere) and come in a variety of nice, subdued colors. They have several removable clip options, including a carabiner and a chain clip, and a no-clip option. The basic 8900 case starts at $70, but it's worth it if you like real quality.
Closed Thread