BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
AnvariX

Model: 7100i
Default 7100i BT Sync; Need One Question Answered Please

Please Login to Remove!

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 9300 notebook, and have a 7100i via Nextel. The Dell has built-in bluetooth, and the drivers were a bluetooth stack via toshiba. The phone was recognized when set to discoverable, and was able to link up with the computer, however, the 'enable bluetooth support' under the blackberry device settings menu was greyed out and unselectable.

From what I've read here, that means I needed to delete the Toshiba bluetooth stuff, and then install the drivers that came with XP SP2 (which I do have). So, I went into Add/Remove Programs, and deleted the Toshiba Bluetooth stuff. Herein lies the problem though. Now that I've uninstalled that, I'm not quite sure how to go about reinstalling bluetooth using the windows drivers. When I turn my computer on and off, no new hardware is found except now there is an unknown USB type that isn't installed. Again though, my BT isn't USB, it's built-in. So now, I don't quite know what to do. I know I can select to manually install a device, and bluetooth is in that list; it then wants me to select a driver. I suppose the original windows one I want will be in the C:\WINDOWS\inf folder, but I don't know which of those it would be.

Now I could even be on a wrong track there with what I'm doing, so any help would be immensly appreciated. Basically, I uninstalled the Bluetooth stack via Toshiba - and need to know how to get it to recognize that bluetooth is there and needs to be installed, and to use the windows drivers. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Old 12-28-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
AnvariX

Ok, well I made some progress, just thought I'd post for any others having troubles. In the C:\Windows\inf folder, for those of you who uninstalled any other bluetooth controllers and are looking to enable the MS XP SP2 controllers, check for a bth.bak file, and rename it bth.inf - this is the driver you are wanting to install the MS XP SP2 Controller. I did this, and now I can 'enable bluetooth' in the blackberry devices. However, I have now run into ANOTHER setback lol.

Now, I cannot detect my phone. I know it isn't my phone, as it can connect with my friends bluetooth enabled phone. The bluetooth light on my notebook is blinking, leading me to believe there is something wrong, or something I haven't clicked. If anyone has any idea on something to try, I'd appreciate it. I've done the obvious, made sure device and PC are set to discoverable, allowing connections, etc. So close!!
Old 12-28-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Is the Desktop Manger and 7100i both runnng OS 4.1?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:55 AM   #4
AnvariX

Yes they are; perhaps I didn't phrase the question correctly.
The Desktop Manager and my blackberry are now both perfect. I have 'enabled' the bluetooth support. Good to go.

The problem is with BLUETOOTH itself on my notebook. After having installed the MS XP SP2 default controllers, the 'Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator' - I am unable to detect ANY bluetooth devices period. Mouse, keyboard, and yes, the blackberry. Right now, the bluetooth light is blinking - leads me to believe something else needs to be done. Once again, I've done the obvious, such as set the phone to discoverable, notebook to discoverable, both are allowing connections, etc. Was wondering if anyone could tell me now that I've installed the default SP2 stuff (which is verified, since I can 'enable' the bluetooth support), how I can get my bluetooth device manager to see the phone, so they can connect.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:55 PM   #5
bookbinder

Model: 7520

I was having the exact same problem as you (except I have a dell d610). I did what you said -- deleted toshiba BT stack, renamed bth.bak to bth.inf -- then reboot, then even though the hardware wizard thinks it found a new USB, really what it has found is your BT controller, so I manually installed "bluetooth radios" from the list and re-boot. Then right click on BT icon in notification tray, and add BT device. go through the passkey procedure, and when finished go to blackberry device manager, and configure bluetooth. It should find your 7100i, and begin to sync.

Worked for me at least. Thanks for your post.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:52 PM   #6
AnvariX

Glad it helped out.

My problem lies in that when I try and add a Bluetooth device, none are found; and not just my phone, but also a BT mouse I have. The BT light on my notebook is blinking, whereas I do believe it should be solid. I think something is thus a bit off somewhere, something is getting in the way, not allowing my notebook to detect BT devices.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:51 AM   #7
ahx

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I did all of he above but the device mamanger says that no blackberries are found that support bt services. it is paired correctly in windows. I am running the latest 7100i software 4.1 and 4.1 desktop.
Closed Thread