BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
chubzilla

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Question How is the curve as an mp3 player?

Please Login to Remove!

I got rid of my ipod, just didnt feel like carrying around my phone and and my ipod. How is the playback quality. Obviously im sure the Curve doesnt play back any lossless formats like flac or m4a
Old 06-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
oakie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

honestly? mediocre at best to the ears of an audiophile.

but then again, an audiophile wouldnt bother listening to lossless audio on a crappy DAC like the ipods have.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
culture
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Robbers

i use my curve every day as an mp3 player and am very happy with it.

With the new OS theres a small equalizer as well as level booster to make it even louder. the volume buttons on the side are also convenient as you dont have to take it out of your pocket to change volume levels, and if you hold the volume button it will go to the next track.

now if they put a decent camera (5.0mp) on a blackberry it will be the trifecta!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
rescue951
Thumbs Must Hurt

its great, i dont hafta carry my brick ZUNE around when going running and such. Keep my ZUNE for auto use now.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
kallus

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakie View Post
honestly? mediocre at best to the ears of an audiophile.

but then again, an audiophile wouldnt bother listening to lossless audio on a crappy DAC like the ipods have.
i had a first gen 4gig nano with a headphone amp piggy backed onto it...once i get my 8 gig sandisk in, hopin to use the amp with my blackberry whenever i feel like listening to music to and from class. hoping it'll be adequate and as long as i remember, i'll post feedback.

cheers
Old 06-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
oakie

PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallus View Post
i had a first gen 4gig nano with a headphone amp piggy backed onto it...once i get my 8 gig sandisk in, hopin to use the amp with my blackberry whenever i feel like listening to music to and from class. hoping it'll be adequate and as long as i remember, i'll post feedback.

cheers
going from an ipod to the blackberry, you wont notice a difference in sound quality.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Its moderately okay. Its definately a PDA first, then an MP3 player. You wont be overly impressed nor disappointed.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by culture View Post
i use my curve every day as an mp3 player and am very happy with it.

With the new OS theres a small equalizer as well as level booster to make it even louder. the volume buttons on the side are also convenient as you dont have to take it out of your pocket to change volume levels, and if you hold the volume button it will go to the next track.

now if they put a decent camera (5.0mp) on a blackberry it will be the trifecta!
Where is this small equalizer? Or is that with 4.5?

I was pleasantly surprised -- it sounds better than I expected really, esp. with the stereo earbuds that come with it.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
.:BK:.
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just wish there was a way to create a playlist on the fly like you can with an iPod. The only way I am aware of to create playlists is by artist or genre or album and such....If anyone knows how to make a playlist from the device itself or of a better media player let me know.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
icecold

It gets the job done when you don't wanna carry around more than one device.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
flamerbeastie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N\A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I use it everyday as a MP3 player. Works great. Wonderfully with some nice Bluetooth headphones!!. I would say that I do notice a difference in quality between the Bluetooth and regular headphones.

Verizon Wireless BIS. Tour 9630. v4.7.1.40
Old 06-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #12
Kyos

Only thing I hate about it is the audio output.
Its like half the sound. Needs an amp in there or something.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #13
culture
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Where is this small equalizer? Or is that with 4.5?

I was pleasantly surprised -- it sounds better than I expected really, esp. with the stereo earbuds that come with it.
its in the 4.5 OS. The new OS makes the media player a lot nicer as well. I would definitely recommend upgrading.

Open up the Audio part of the media player, and open the options, at the bottom there is an option for 'Audio Boost' and 'Headset Equalizer'.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #14
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakie View Post
going from an ipod to the blackberry, you wont notice a difference in sound quality.
Are you serious? My iPod's definitely is a step up from my 8310. I still store music on the 8310 though since it's always with me.

Features are certainly much better on the iPod.

Last edited by takeshi; 06-18-2008 at 10:20 AM..
Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
coachmeeks
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think the audio is acutally very good. It is on par with my nano. You can download albums, make playlists, etc, just use the BB Desktop. Its much easier to slide a song onto the card while connect to the USB than to take the card out from behind the battery each time. Its is so convienient to walk the airport and listen to the tunes, have the tunes stop for the phone calls, then start up again. I recently flew US Air from Alabny to Philly then onto Pittsburgh and the sound was load enough to block out the engine noise.
I do wish the media player had an equalizer, I have had some bluetooth headset with great volume but no bass, andequalizer fixes that easy enough.

I am using the wired headphones that came with the Curve. They have better sound than many of the bluetooth sets I have and also use. The only negetive, beside the cord, is the wired headset dont "ring" when you get a call it just stops the music so you know. Well if you have the wired headset in one ear and no music playing, there is not ring to tell you that there is a call, I have missed several calls using the wired headset as a hands free headset in the car. The bluetooth headset do "ring" when you get a call but the sound quality is not on par with the wired ones, yet. I know you can get some high end bluetooth headset that go on both ears but thats against the law in most states. The ear bud type allow you to only put it in one ear but they dont have the sound quality yet the others do, but its getting better and of course more expensive.

A big key is that the Curve likes the WMP format. I burn CDs to WMP, then they can be synced over to the media card in a second, really. It takes longer to rip the cd than it does to sync onto the memeory card. I have several albums loaded on my 4 gig card, I will have to get the 8 gig card soon the 4 gig is filling up fast. You can have albums, playlists, indiviual songs, all loaded onto the memeory card. You can import from ITUNES, and most some will sync over, strangely not all songs will sync over from ITUNES but most of the WMP will import and convert to sync to your Curve.

So you do have to play a bit and find your methods for getting the music over to the card but it is really very simple. The Media player is fine, not fancy, but still very usuable once you learn what it will and wont do. The convienience is the thing, only carry one device,no extra chargers to pack, its there because you remembered your phone but forgot you IPOD!!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Being that an MP3 is a 'feature' to a PDA or Phone, it is definitely better than most phones out there. You will not be disappointed.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #17
wildlemon747
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

The curve Mp3 player is great, I have gigs of music and a few movies. My favorite feature is I can get in my car and without taking my phone out of my pocket, it will connect to the car stereo via bluetooth and start playing music. Quality is fine and defiantly one of the better media players.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #18
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlemon747 View Post
The curve Mp3 player is great, I have gigs of music and a few movies. My favorite feature is I can get in my car and without taking my phone out of my pocket, it will connect to the car stereo via bluetooth and start playing music. Quality is fine and defiantly one of the better media players.
Hmm, I have never heard of that. Obviously there car stereo has to have BT, correct? Or is there a radio frequency or BT adapter of some sort that you can connect on stereo's without BT?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
rtst31975
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 241F0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:BK:. View Post
I just wish there was a way to create a playlist on the fly like you can with an iPod. The only way I am aware of to create playlists is by artist or genre or album and such....If anyone knows how to make a playlist from the device itself or of a better media player let me know.
The New OS beta has the ability to make play lists on the fly, so I can only assume it will be on the new 4.5 OS.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by culture View Post
its in the 4.5 OS. The new OS makes the media player a lot nicer as well. I would definitely recommend upgrading.

Open up the Audio part of the media player, and open the options, at the bottom there is an option for 'Audio Boost' and 'Headset Equalizer'.
Thanks, that's good to know. But I'll wait until 4.5 is out of beta before upgrading. I see too many people having issues with it. I have the Audio Boost now.
Closed Thread