BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
mileena

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Need Advice: Are Blackberrys good at IMAP email using your own webhosting email?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I am a long-time Palm Treo user. I have my own webhosting space and domain names, and use those for my emails. I also use IMAP.

I had no problems with Palm, but I recently switched to the Motorola Droid 2 Android OS from Verizon. Big mistake! Bottom line is no matter what email settings I use--and I've just about tried every setting--my Droid 2 will not "get" new emails on demand when I hit the "refresh" button for my inbox. But my emails works fine with my Palm or on my desktop computer with Thunderbird. I have tried this on two different Droid 2 phones, to rule out a defective phone. I have also made sure not to use the every-15-minute "fetch" option but the "push" option. It gets the emails the very first time you set up the account, and that's it. The only way it will get new emails later on is if I pull the battery, or change the email settings to whatever, or reset the phone. Then it gets the new emails one time, and then never again, just like before. I spent hours on the phone with tech support, and he was not able to solve the problem either.

So my question is: if I get the Blackberry Bold 9650, is this a good phone to use for email purposes? Does it get new emails on demand, or do I have to wait 15 minutes or more? Does it work with IMAP and your own webhosting space/domain name or does it only work with gmail? I am looking for a good phone for business purposes.

Also, can I flick through multiple of my email accounts with ease, like on my Palm, or do I have to first go in and change the default email settings like I have to do with my Droid 2 (very annoying)?

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Default Re: Need Advice: Are Blackberrys good at IMAP email using your own webhosting email?

You have to wait up to 15 minutes. This is the poll time for BIS.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Need Advice: Are Blackberrys good at IMAP email using your own webhosting email?

Welcome to the Forums.

The mail your asking for must be accessible from the requesting service. Push email depends on the ability to access the email servers. Google Gmail allows this type of service which closely emulates the BES service used in corporations to send email when received and allow contact and other similar services to be synchronized. If your email service is open to the internet and you want to set up a small BES service for your business I would check the RIM web site. I included some links for the info.
If not you can check the BIS service abilities and see if it meets your needs.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/micro...0%201125333048

BlackBerry - PDA Software Downloads - Support & Services at BlackBerry.com
Old 02-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

I use exactly this kind of email set up with my Blackberry BIS account. If your IMAP server supports the IDLE command email delivery is as fast as GMail. BIS supports up to 10 email accounts.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
wesware
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 02-15-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
wesware
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I receive my domain email just fine. Really is a matter of the email server. My domain email tends to come a little slower than my ISP mail. Otherwise it is just like any othert email account.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread