Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Telus
Default Changing profile??

Please Login to Remove!

I have a dilema with our BES. The previous CTO setup different profiles for the users on our BES which have been nothing but a head ache for us. Take for instance today one of the users replaced their BB phone and needed to reync the new phone with BES. So I got them to run EA and 10 minutes later they called me back to ask why they have 2000 unopened emails and growning.

So I looked in their Exchange mail box and was shocked to see 37,000 UNOPENED emails. (GOSH!!) I told them to turn their phone off "NOW" and we'll have to fix the 37,000 email problem first then wipe their phone and start over.

What the previous CTO did was setup users under different profiles so the server would not keep their settings on their emails and their contacts. I have had a few people complain their lifes contacts where on their other phone... I have since fixed those who have replaced their BB phones but we still have a lot people using these profiles (no the default one).

So is there anyway to change their profiles around without having to resync with BES? I looked around around and couldn't see their being away. :(

We are using BES 4.0.x

Thanks
Andrew
Old 12-19-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Logvin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I dont quite understand the problem, i think you are using the term "profile" a bit to much..

Anyway, it sounds like the users are downloading a copy of all messages to a PST file on their machine, rather than running Exchange in "Online" mode. This isnt quite a BlackBerry problem, more of a Exchange problem. I cant belive you would have 37K unread messages.. thats like 600MB worth of e-mail just in the damn inbox....

I'd recommend looking at how your users are set up. FYI, PST files are the devil.

How is your mailbox set up? Work with your users to get rid of PST files, save yourself headache and problems.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logvin
I dont quite understand the problem, i think you are using the term "profile" a bit to much..

Anyway, it sounds like the users are downloading a copy of all messages to a PST file on their machine, rather than running Exchange in "Online" mode. This isnt quite a BlackBerry problem, more of a Exchange problem. I cant belive you would have 37K unread messages.. thats like 600MB worth of e-mail just in the damn inbox....

I'd recommend looking at how your users are set up. FYI, PST files are the devil.

How is your mailbox set up? Work with your users to get rid of PST files, save yourself headache and problems.
Sorry I am refering to the IT Policy; to me it really behaves like a profile hence why I called it a "profile".

How to do changes a users IT Policy without having to delete their account? I know by default a new account gets configured under the default policy I just have not figured out how to change it.

Because the IT Policies were setup by the previous guy, ASN was offering blackberries to its buyers with a ASN email address a year or so ago, the previous CTO changes the policies around that screwed up things so that none of the users under certain policies emails or contacts (bidirectional information) would be retained by BES. I want to abolish it and make it work right as it's a nightmare dealing with dealerships that don't know what Internet Explorer is on their computer (no joke) no have any issues when they purchase or replace their phone.

Thanks
Andrew
Old 12-19-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
Zharin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800g
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
How to do changes a users IT Policy without having to delete their account? I know by default a new account gets configured under the default policy I just have not figured out how to change it.

You can create a new IT policy from scratch on the BES (using the BES manager) and just apply all users to that new Policy you made. No need to remove user's accounts before sending out an IT policy. You can even edit the default policy and resend the IT policy out to all devices.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
Logvin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Whoah, im sure glad i asked that. Profile != Policy haha!

I'd agree with Zharin. I have multiple IT policies, the only time you gotta wipe a device is if you switch between servers.