BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 06-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Has anyone set up the Motorola Q to work with their company's email system? We are using Exchange 2003, SP1 and only use a BES...but I'm getting pushed to 'try out' the Q.

Has Anyone else done this, and what does it take to get it to receive company email? I know it won't be push email, and won't go on the BES. I'm assuming it will require SP2 on Exchange...?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Unfortunately we don't have Exchange 2003 up yet... I get my Q later this week and am anxious to put it through its paces.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
zarza
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: docomo Pacific, Guam

It is my understanding that SP2 is required, as well as an additional piece of Microsoft software to integrate Windows Mobile devices.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Unfortunately we don't have Exchange 2003 up yet... I get my Q later this week and am anxious to put it through its paces.
Thanks, NJ. Will be curious to read your feedback. I've read several reviews and it sounds like it's great for voice, not so great for email, and downright ugly for locking up.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarza
It is my understanding that SP2 is required, as well as an additional piece of Microsoft software to integrate Windows Mobile devices.
Thx, Zarza. I will read up on it more when I get back to the office tomorrow. I'm interested in any 'gotchas' that anyone might have come across trying to set it up.

Management thinks we can just go out and buy the latest cool toys and they will be set up and work in 5 mins.

While that would be nice, there is also reality.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68

Thanks, NJ. Will be curious to read your feedback. I've read several reviews and it sounds like it's great for voice, not so great for email, and downright ugly for locking up.
I have LOTS of devices that lock up. That's why I rely on the 8700.

The MDA didn't do it for me, but it has some possibilities. My daughter liked it, so maybe the market is there

Gotta pay attention to WM5, but so far, nothing is making me say "Drop the BB; take me instead".

I'm not much of a Verizon customer - that whole doesn't work outside of North America thing doesn't fly with me - but I want to give it a chance.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Danimal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68

Thx, Zarza. I will read up on it more when I get back to the office tomorrow. I'm interested in any 'gotchas' that anyone might have come across trying to set it up.

Management thinks we can just go out and buy the latest cool toys and they will be set up and work in 5 mins.

While that would be nice, there is also reality.
Reality? What is that? I work in a land far far away. I have magical powers that allow me to do anything and make anything work (on the first try!!) God my tongue hurts some days. I heard about the same issues with the Treo WM device which is what led me to getting out company BB's.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
charliemurphy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703E

We had it on exchange, but I got a 30 day eval. from Goodlink. Works just as well as BES.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
Good_Guy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

The Q does not support MSFP as it is running Smartphone Edition of WM5, not the full WM5.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #10
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
The Q does not support MSFP as it is running Smartphone Edition of WM5, not the full WM5.
Totally blonde today - what is MSFP? And WM5 is Windows Mobile 5, right?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #11
bradhs

Carrier: AT&T

I've setup a couple Q's and they work the same as the Treo 700 with the MSFP update installed.

MSFP = Messaging & Security Feature Pack = http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...5/default.mspx

Bradley
Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 AM   #12
Good_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhs
I've setup a couple Q's and they work the same as the Treo 700 with the MSFP update installed.

MSFP = Messaging & Security Feature Pack = http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...5/default.mspx

Bradley
No they don't. The Q does not support MSFP. For the Q, you are using AUTD for email from Exchange 2003. While it may appear to be the same, it is not push, but rather scheduled pull. There is no GAL look-up, no sync of Notes and Tasks, and no remote erase along with other short-comings.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #13
udontknowjack

Carrier: T-Mobile

The Q uses active sync and will work without Exchange SP2. You just have to have OWA setup and you configure the Q with your OWA address and your account. Good_Guy is partially right. Right now all you get is scheduled pull. But the Q will support the MSFP and one is scheduled to be out late summer or early fall for the device. With the MSFP and Exchange SP2, you will get push email on the Q. Not until then.

Now, that being said, we are evaluating it now, and while it is kind of cool. I don't think I'll get rid of my 8700 for it. We are now having a battery trouble with it. Won't hold a charge for 18 hours with no activity. Device has locked up once. I have had it for 5 days. I don't like WM5, quite frankly, and there are too many clicks to get to anything. I also think Windows Mobile uses too much Screen real estate on top and bottom banner stuff. You can only see 4 emails on the mail screen to 9 on my 8700.

Oh, can I add. MSFP will not sync notes, ever. Microsoft says if you want to sync notes, use One Note Mobile. Notes in Outlook are beginning to get phased out. Bummer, I think.

Last edited by udontknowjack; 06-26-2006 at 12:11 PM..
Old 06-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #14
kitmoni

Model: 8130
PIN: >Options>Status
Carrier: Sprint

How will the Q accomplish BES connectivity - through blackberry connect? I haven't read where that will be available for the Q yet.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitmoni
How will the Q accomplish BES connectivity - through blackberry connect? I haven't read where that will be available for the Q yet.
it's going to be available at some point, i believe. a co-worker's wife's brother-in-law (or something like that, honestly) was one of the key designers for the Q, and my co-worker told me the other day that it was gearing up for BBC.

wow, my post really does sound like it has a lot of merit... *sigh*
Old 06-27-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack
Oh, can I add. MSFP will not sync notes, ever. Microsoft says if you want to sync notes, use One Note Mobile. Notes in Outlook are beginning to get phased out. Bummer, I think.
Notes are getting phased OUT? Cripe, I keep all of my handy OTA links (plus tons of other things) in Notes so when a user asks for them I have them handy.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:24 AM   #17
kitmoni

Model: 8130
PIN: >Options>Status
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
You are too funny, Jibi. Sounds like you're describing my entire existence (at times). ;)
Old 06-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #18
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
it's going to be available at some point, i believe. a co-worker's wife's brother-in-law (or something like that, honestly) was one of the key designers for the Q, and my co-worker told me the other day that it was gearing up for BBC.

Who told you that?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:45 AM   #19
tags26

Model: 7100T

I just set up a few Q's with Exchange 2003 SP2 and it's working great. My personal Q locked up and had to be returned as there is no "hard" reset on the unit. Taking the battery out didn't fix the problem unfortunately. Seems that the system state reset is in WM5 settings menu so it's kind of useless if you can't boot into WM5. But it is a bit of my fault I guess...i hacked the crap out of it and installed a hacked program to get streaming Sirius. It worked for a while, but then the fun was over...

Back to email capabilities. My users sync their Outlook Contacts, Calendar and Tasks without fail using Active Sync. THERE IS NO PUSH EMAIL like you are used to on the BB, but it can sync automatically at a minimum of 3 min intervals. Which means it will never be 3 minutes than it syns - usually, odds are you'll receive an email within 1.5 minutes and then it will sync another 1.5 min later, get it??? This is perfectly fine for my org but I can see where some other people might be upset that it isn't true push. But this will all be changed come the fall anyhow as an update for the Q to have true push and MSFP capabilities will be available.

My users are able to sync their Outlook contacts folder but not any public or global folders on Exchange wirelessy thru ActiveSync. But there are many 3rd party programs that will give you the ability to sync your public folder contacts as well as your BCM Contacts (Outlook Business Contact Manager Contacts) which is perfect b/c my company uses that. The only thing is you'll need the USB cable and sync with the wire. I get spoiled syncing Outlook Contacts/Tasks/Calendar wirelessly so you can see why this is a disadvantage.

Other than that, I think the Q is great. It's def. not junk as some might have you believe. It's voice capabilties are the best I've ever heard in a cell phone, very clear and loud. Speakerphone is very clear and bluetooth works flawlessly. I use it in my Bluetooth enabled system in my car with voice activation and the Q never even hicupped once.

They QWERTY keypad is nice, however sometimes the keys are a little too hard to push...but the Intelligent AutoFill is really a great feature that I've come to love. In texts and emails it remembers the words you type and keeps it in a cache, so when you begin typing a word, it gives you options to auto-fill with the words you have used recently and frequently. Very nice feature.

My only sticking point is not so much the software's limitations, because that will be updated soon, but no hardware reset, no button to push. I like hacking my phone, and doing things the avg. person will never do. So i'm guessing I will be making lots of trips to Verizon to get new phones.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

Last edited by tags26; 06-30-2006 at 09:30 AM..
Old 06-30-2006, 09:32 AM   #20
Good_Guy

One thing to keep in mind is that there is no remote erase with the Exchange mail option you are using.