Old 06-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
jkotsonas
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default configuring personal email account

Please Login to Remove!

For the heck of it I decided to set up my Gmail account on my 8320 BB (T-Mobile device). The aforementioned BB is a work issued device that is synched up/configured to my work exchange account.

I went into "Manage Internet Mail", entered in the info, and it set up fine. I now have the dual "Messages" icons on the screen, one for the work/exchange account and one for the gmail.

However, mail from the Gmail account is hitting both the message folders/boxes. If I go into "messages > options > email settings/email reconciliation", it's currently set to "desktop" in both. I can't seem to change it so that the exchange message folder is set to desktop and the gmail messages folder is set to the gmail account. If I change one, it changes the setting on both accounts.

Not sure what I'm missing here. I tried setting up a filter, but again, it applied itself to both accounts so when enabled, I receive no gmail to either one.

Also in Options, I set the SMS and Email inboxes to "separate", but that didn't work either.

Work/Exchange email is only hitting the exchange message folder, so it's only the gmail account that is hitting both.

Argghhhh.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

I would recommend that you remove the gmail e-mail setup and instead use the gmail BlackBerry app. You can get it here http://www.google.com/m/products. That way you can have full access to everything in your gmail account and keep them seperate.

Look into that.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

See 1.3 here:
BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 06-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
jkotsonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
well there you go. I set up our FSC Director's Earthlink account on her company issued device, and thought her's was separate.

But I just inquired and she's experiencing the same thing I just did.

Thanks much for the reply & info.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

IMHO, one should keep all personal data off of a corporate device, especially if the company owns it and is paying the bills. Assume they can monitor and see everything you do, even if they cannot. They have the right to track whatever they are able to track. Just makes things cleaner and safer with no explanations required.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
jkotsonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
IMHO, one should keep all personal data off of a corporate device, especially if the company owns it and is paying the bills. Assume they can monitor and see everything you do, even if they cannot. They have the right to track whatever they are able to track. Just makes things cleaner and safer with no explanations required.
I agree and that's pretty much our policy as well. However, we do have exceptions which is one reason I was playing around w/ it in the first place.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

I think it silly for corporations and some individuals to think that you can give your employee resources and think that those resources will ONLY be used for company business. I think it would be better to let employees know that the resources that they are given are the property of the company and that at anytime the company has the right to take possession of the resource, whether it be a laptop, desktop, or cellular phone (whether smart or not).

Its now up to that employee to decide if they want to place personal info on the device.

But hey, I put myself in the "shoes" of the employee with the resource and know that its impossible to not get personal, so I write all my policies to accommodate this, but at the sametime making sure that the company still has its powers.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The company is paying the bill and can set whatever policies they wish. I really don't have a problem with it.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Closed Thread