BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:58 AM   #21
Hellcat6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

Please Login to Remove!

Great find! I did get mencoder to work but have to pull out the instructions each time and have several windows running to get things done. This is much simpler and for many of us is the way to go. It is a very useful option and I for one appreciate you bringing it to us. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:19 PM   #22
bjm360@gmail.com

Model: 8700

I am having a tough time getting Quicktime movie files to convert to AVI. Will this program work for this?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #23
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

i hear pocket divx encoder... is free and works great with default settings... best part... freeeeee...
Old 11-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #24
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm360@gmail.com
I am having a tough time getting Quicktime movie files to convert to AVI. Will this program work for this?
Yes, BBVG converts MOV files.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 12-26-2006 at 11:06 AM..
Old 11-16-2006, 11:01 PM   #25
duce95
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmo

dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.....
Old 11-23-2006, 12:59 PM   #26
cybermikey3
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad
i hear pocket divx encoder... is free and works great with default settings... best part... freeeeee...
good call... works great
Old 11-23-2006, 02:14 PM   #27
ErnieH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: Rogers

What output dimensions are you using with pocket divx encoder? I get an error when I try to play a converted file on my Pearl.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #28
nycr88

Model: tour
Carrier: sprint

is ther somthing i should be able to open a video clip sent to me via email on my 8700????
Old 12-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #29
baconismidog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Hey guys,

I have a written FREE mencoder frontend. I ask that you try it out and let me know what you think of it. I really read all feature requests and make my best attempt to add those features.

www.seabyrdtech.com - Blackberry Video Converter

It is also posted on snapfiles, download.com, and tucows (but I am not sure when the Dls will be avaliable from those sites). The best place to get it is from my website.

Thanks guys,
B
Old 12-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #30
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconismidog
Hey guys,

I have a written FREE mencoder frontend. I ask that you try it out and let me know what you think of it. I really read all feature requests and make my best attempt to add those features.

www.seabyrdtech.com - Blackberry Video Converter

It is also posted on snapfiles, download.com, and tucows (but I am not sure when the Dls will be avaliable from those sites). The best place to get it is from my website.

Thanks guys,
B
Wish I had such talent. Hats off to you, can't beat free.

Note: Got the below when I tried to install.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #31
Bone_Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieH
What output dimensions are you using with pocket divx encoder? I get an error when I try to play a converted file on my Pearl.
I have the same problem. The regular output setting for video on the pearl is: 240 x 180 @ 64 kbps

Pocket divx doesn't default to that. Please advise.

Thanks,
Bone
Old 01-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #32
MadMexican

Carrier: t-mobile

I have been using it for a couple of days now. It converts WMV files perfectly. I have not had success converting straight from the DVD, but still working on it..

Great product.. Simple to use.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #33
Stonebreeze

Model: 8100c

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconismidog
Hey guys,

Thanks guys,
B

Hey B,

I am using your app and it works great! I couldn't get the quick DVD convert to work at first (I think because of the security encryption on the DVD) but towork around I used DVDdecrypter and put DVD on my harddrive. ONce I did this I just clicked on the quick convert and it worked like a charm.

I do have one question....I tried to convert my season 5 Simpsons DVDs but when I converted it only processed the first episode on the DVD and not all 5. This is strange because I also converted my Vol 4 Looney Tunes and it converted the whole DVD. Any suggestions/ideas?

PS - great little application you programmed! KUDOS to you!! Thanks.

BRZ
Old 01-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #34
SanFrancisco

Default Blackberry Video Generator - $15 Recommend

Just an update to mention that I erroneously called the Blackberry Video Generator "Blackberry Video Converter" by mistake, that is, in the title of this thread.

Since then, another Member has come out with a free program he called Blackberry Video Converter.

So the title of this thread looks like I was talking about the free program, when in fact I was not. In a sense my error resulted in hijacking my own thread when the Video Converter guys started chiming in with posts.

So if you want to know about Blackberry Video Generator please read my original post in here.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-18-2007 at 07:39 PM..
Old 01-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #35
superdisco

Model: 8800
Carrier: FIDO

Hey baconismidog,

I downloaded the blackberry video converter program with no problems.... I am assuming this will work with the 8800 when it comes out as you can adjust the screen size to any custom size you want.... So my ultimate question is will this work with the new 8800 coming out and what size would I need to adjust the custom screen settings to for that?

Thanks....

Last edited by superdisco; 01-19-2007 at 11:55 AM..
Old 01-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #36
SanFrancisco

IMHO my thread talking about BlackBerry Video Generator should not be used to talk about BlackBerry Video Converter. Kind of misses the point and effort I made in starting this thread. I realize that some people take offense at the idea of paying for a program that uses the free mencoder.

This is not a thread about the "Converter" program.

Duly note that a certain BBF mod may now close my thread because of this post. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdisco
Hey baconismidog,

I downloaded the blackberry video converter program with no problems.... I am assuming this will work with the 8800 when it comes out as you can adjust the screen size to any custom size you want.... So my ultimate question is will this work with the new 8800 coming out and what size would I need to adjust the custom screen settings to for that?

Thanks....

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-19-2007 at 04:40 PM..
Old 01-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #37
SanFrancisco

There is a new version of this program, 2.0 There are some slight differences in how it works, but it is still as easy as I describe in here.

OK, there was another thread asking about BlackBerry Video Generator that was on Handango for $20. I searched the Net, found it for sale at $15. So I said what the heck, $15 won't buy a decent dinner in this town.

So I bought the program [there is no trial version] installed it and gave it a whirl. I have to say I was super surprised at how easy it is to work. A good thing because there are absolutely ZERO instructions or help, either on the downloaded program or on the Net.

Anyway, as I suspected, the program is the publisher taking the FREE mencoder program and configuring it so that we do not have to fool with DOS, etc.

This program does it all for you. That makes the program worth $15 to me since I could not figure out how to use mencoder.

I guess I'll run through the steps.

To buy it you go to this site:

http://www.mobilesoftmarket.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=7 1&osCsid=dff7bcc9fe0bca2f9377a158d7e216f1

The program seller will ask you to create an account, including providing your DOB. Just make up a DOB, but make sure you show that you are 18.

You can use your credit card or PayPal to pay. I chose PayPal. The site sent me to PayPal where I confirmed I was really at PayPal. I then paid the $15.

After that I got a "download here" link where I then downloaded the program. It's about an 18.5 MB file.

After downloading I installed it. It is an exe file so there was no unzipping required.

I then opened the program by clicking the icon. This is where it got funky because all it did was open up Windows Explorer and asked me to open or select the file I wanted to convert.

I selected an FLV music file and the next thing that happened confirmed the program was using mencoder. This is because a DOS window opened and the program started to convert the FLV file into an "avi" file that would play on the Pearl. At the top it said "mencoder."

At the end of the conversion it tells you the conversion went fine and to "copy and paste the video into your Pearl."

I opened my Pearl's file folder, went to the video folder and pasted the newly converted file into the Pearl.

Then I opened to play the video on the Pearl and it played perfectly. There was no lag in the controls like there was with my Super C 3GP conversions.

I then tried converting a WMV file. That did not go well. While the converted file played fine with my PC media player, on the Pearl it was intermittent and "scratchy" on the sound.

I then tried converting an avi file, that went fine.

I also converted DVD "VOB" files with success.

The FLV files converted extremely fast. A five minute video converted in about 1 minute. AVI to Pearl was a little slower.

One of many things they do not tell you is that wherever you select the file to be converted, that is where the program will place the converted file. E.g., if the video you select for conversion is in C:/My Documents/My Videos, the converted filed will be placed into that same folder. Easy concept to understand unless you are not paying attention.

Conclusion: for $15 this product is fantastic. It cranks out conversions fast and the videos play on my Pearl. Heck I would have paid $15 if it only converted FLV files.

Here are the FLV and AVI files I had converted. Load them on to your Pearl and try them out.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/b...Generation.avi

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/c...midnightBB.avi

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/b...leMiserlou.avi

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/bbsnlwhatislove.avi
Old 01-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #38
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Anyone have any high quality samples from a dvd movie etc?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:54 PM   #39
k9to5

Carrier: tmobile

I found an online utility that will convert YouTube videos (.FLV) to AVI, MOV, MP4, MP3 or 3GP.

FLV Online Converter

MP4 is what I chose for playback on the 8100 and it worked great. I saw the same issues I have noted in some other threads (slow trackball response, innaccurate timeline, etc.) that may be due to file size (~3MB) but the picture and sound were excellent.

Simply plug in the URL and it coverts it for you for download.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:10 AM   #40
SanFrancisco

The $15 program I recommend converts FLV files for the Pearl. Simply download the FLV video from YouTube and BlackBerry Video Generator converts them with no need for special settings or anything.

The only files I found it cannot convert is WMV [MS Windows] video. What I have done in that case is use Super C to convert the WMV file into an AVI and then use BlackBerry Video Generator to then convert the AVI for the Pearl.
Closed Thread