BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #41
Blackberry-Alf

Model: Bold
PIN: 2548F8AB
Carrier: Orange uk

Please Login to Remove!

Im porting my O2 number to Orange, so yes a new connection!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #42
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel
Default sob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry-Alf View Post
My local store (Didcot, Oxfordshire) only had two units and i have one of them! Had to wait nearly two hours in the store while they tried link it with my new contract, seems if Orange have tried to rush it out to quickly, not properly on there systems yet.
Anyway i now have it and its AWSOME!!
Sob...
Us poor BB user's in the US will have to wait and bow down to the AT&T god and wait, wait, wait.

We are glad someone has the new Bold!

H.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #43
DJBoozy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: ifone
PIN: no more, Imessage :(
Carrier: Orange UK Business

Update: the bold online is now showing as "FREE" so this means that new customers can now buy the phone... but us upgraders.. its still a waiting game :(
Old 08-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #44
dmacd

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry-Alf View Post
My local store (Didcot, Oxfordshire) only had two units and i have one of them! Had to wait nearly two hours in the store while they tried link it with my new contract, seems if Orange have tried to rush it out to quickly, not properly on there systems yet.
Anyway i now have it and its AWSOME!!
I went through the same thing! Took 2 hours. They couldn't upgrade my old contract- or they could if I bought the Bold for £129!! Instead started a whole new contract and got the Bold for free. Then cancelled the old contract. It means a new phone number though. Why they couldn't upgrade the old contract is beyond me. Orange aren't that organized I guess.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #45
DJBoozy

Another Update: if you add the tariff 1st, then clickthru to phones, all the other blackberrys are £100+ cept the bold is free. - to based on that, the 12 month spend on your new bold would be £176.40 - if you were to do this on a Blackberry 8820, it would be 176.40+149.99 for the handset.

so there is a clear problem with the orange.co.uk website, as when you try and order your "free" Bold, on 12month e-mail only plan. it errors with opps.. an error occured.

anybody fancy a cheap bold? - and arguing with telesales to honor the online price? ;)
Old 08-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #46
classact
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
Carrier: Orange UK and T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
I went through the same thing! Took 2 hours. They couldn't upgrade my old contract- or they could if I bought the Bold for £129!! Instead started a whole new contract and got the Bold for free. Then cancelled the old contract. It means a new phone number though. Why they couldn't upgrade the old contract is beyond me. Orange aren't that organized I guess.
a) Orange Consumer or Orange Business? If Orange Business, the computer system for Orange Business upgrades that interfaces with stores is down and has been for a couple of days. Stores cannot do upgrades for Orange Business customers. Orange Consumer won't do it.

b) I don't understand how they can just "cancel" a contract unless you were out of the minimum period of 12, 18 or 24 months.

There's no chance I'd let them change my number to get a new handset. What I will be doing is complaining bitterly on Monday and seeing how much I can reduce the upgrade price by. I wasted an hour of my time today driving to and from their local store just to find out that they couldn't deliver despite having the handset in the box in front of me.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #47
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by classact View Post
a) Orange Consumer or Orange Business? If Orange Business, the computer system for Orange Business upgrades that interfaces with stores is down and has been for a couple of days. Stores cannot do upgrades for Orange Business customers. Orange Consumer won't do it.

b) I don't understand how they can just "cancel" a contract unless you were out of the minimum period of 12, 18 or 24 months.

There's no chance I'd let them change my number to get a new handset. What I will be doing is complaining bitterly on Monday and seeing how much I can reduce the upgrade price by. I wasted an hour of my time today driving to and from their local store just to find out that they couldn't deliver despite having the handset in the box in front of me.
a) I tried to upgrade an Orange Consumer contract. They wouldn't do it.

b) My old contract had expired - that's what led me to go for an upgrade. They did it last year when I went for the BB 8820.

I can understand how most folks wouldn't get a new contract with a new phone number. But I dearly wanted 3G as Orange don't seem to do EDGE in London and I was sick and tired of using their slow GPRS.

Truth be told, after I was in the shop for over an hour I considered dropping the whole Orange thing and going with Vodafone, etc. But I'm a sucker for new technology and the Bold was sitting right in front of me.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #48
Nocturne_sa

Model: 8310
Carrier: T-mobile

Question for people who already got their hands on the Bold...

I used to be an orange customer about a year ago but was extremely unsatisfied with their network coverage. I just wanted your option on whether their coverage has improved at all? I'm currently with T-mobile and quite happy so far.

Cheers!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #49
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne_sa View Post
Question for people who already got their hands on the Bold...

I used to be an orange customer about a year ago but was extremely unsatisfied with their network coverage. I just wanted your option on whether their coverage has improved at all? I'm currently with T-mobile and quite happy so far.

Cheers!
I was also VERY unsatisfied with their network coverage. I had no problem with their phone coverage per se, but their data coverage was extremely poor. They don't seem to have any EDGE coverage. I live in London, where there is no EDGE coverage, and have been to Reading, Chichester and a few other places that also seemed to lack EDGE coverage. I remember visiting a friend in a small town in Canada and he had blazing browser speed and I was left with GPRS speed in the heart of London.

So far I have been using the Bold in my little part of London, and they do seem to have 3G coverage, which is much better than GPRS.

I have 'read' on the web that the reason for their poor EDGE coverage is that EDGE is based on 2G and Orange is probably investing in their 3G network. A few years ago all the other main UK networks paid over £30 billion for the 3G spectrum. They probably want everyone to go 3G. But this is pure speculation on my part and might be totally wrong. More qualified users on this forum might be able to give a better explanation. I just know that Orange's EDGE support is crap and I'm glad to be on 3G. As to the extent of their 3G coverage in the UK, that is another question. For me, time will tell.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #50
Abbsta
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone UK

Popped into the Paddington store earlier, had a look at the tariffs and decided to go SIM free. I'll get a nice discount from vodafone for upgrading without a handset.

BTW dmacd, I can see why you spent hour+ in there.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #51
Snownation
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 21058D73

Anyone got PICS?!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #52
Snownation
Thumbs Must Hurt

I forgot to mention that the Orange.co.uk site is selling the Bold.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #53
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownation View Post
Anyone got PICS?!
I'll post some tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:32 AM   #54
DJBoozy

*cue Big brother Geordie voiceover*

Day 2.... 8.31am.

DJBoozy is in the internet room, checking the orange website, to see if he can finally get his mits on a Bold, without forking out an arm and/or a leg to get one..
Old 08-17-2008, 02:49 AM   #55
DJBoozy

Hrm.. very odd - after some fiddling.. i've managed to get a Bold in my basket for -£1.00 as an upgrade (see pic 2) but when you click "checkout" you get empty white boxes (see Pic 3)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	12748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	12749  
Old 08-17-2008, 03:44 AM   #56
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBoozy View Post
Hrm.. very odd - after some fiddling.. i've managed to get a Bold in my basket for -£1.00 as an upgrade (see pic 2) but when you click "checkout" you get empty white boxes (see Pic 3)
When I got the Bold at the Orange shop yesterday it was also a nightmare getting in approved on their computer system.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:05 AM   #57
Snownation
Thumbs Must Hurt

How do you get £35 a month, and £2.50 for the data plan, but resulting in £35 total?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:36 AM   #58
DJBoozy

thats a good point lol
Old 08-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #59
chris_1d

PIN: N/A

I was expecting the 1gb of memory to be on board, but it is actually a micro SD card lol. However, I can't get it out!! I can get it to pop out half way but it seems stuck!!

Any ideas guys?

Current = BOLD
Old 08-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #60
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_1d View Post
I was expecting the 1gb of memory to be on board, but it is actually a micro SD card lol. However, I can't get it out!! I can get it to pop out half way but it seems stuck!!

Any ideas guys?
There is an additional 1GB on board the BB. Removing the microSD is a nightmare!! It took me 5 minutes.

Edit: If you go to Options -> Memory you'll Application Memory, Device Memory and Media Card Memory.

Last edited by dmacd; 08-17-2008 at 10:48 AM..
Closed Thread