BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #21
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

I'm fairly new to BlackBerry, but the ones I have, and have had absolutely no issues with are...

Google Maps
TeleNav (use with my GPS puck)
Beyond 411
Google Talk
AccuWeather
Viigo
Ascendo Fitness
Ascendo Money
Opera Mini

I had all sorts of stability issues with apps on my Treo 680. In fact I had to do all sorts of research before I loaded them, then had to do it in specific order...

The reason the BlackBerry is so stable even with a handful of apps is that it is a closed platform. The apps are BlackBerry-specific and are all engineered to work with your device...not programs for other OS's that are simply modified to work with the BlackBerry.

Last edited by davistld01; 07-25-2007 at 04:55 PM..
Old 07-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #22
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

As far as Google Maps, they sometimes locked up on me when I installed them as part of the package.
No problems when installed as stand-alone products.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #23
dottedlinegirl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: 24250391
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicu2001 View Post
I just signed up for this and it seems pretty cool so far. 40 messages a month for 10 bucks plus .25 per message over seems a bit expensive, though
The pricing is only for transcribed voicemails-- you can opt out of that and still have "visual voicemail" on your phone (i.e., pretty much the same thing being featured for the iPhone). I've been using it for almost a month now and I really, really like it.

GrandCentral and YouMail are other voicemail services that let you play caller-identified voicemails one at a time, but you have to either retrieve them via e-mail or the website. SimulSays downloads everything straight to your phone.

Note: if you set up an account with SimulSays and do not want the transcribed voicemails, I'd recommend going into your account settings (online) and unchecking "Play Tagline" and then all the "enable" or "send..." boxes below.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #24
dottedlinegirl

Model: 8310
PIN: 24250391
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonexh View Post
Probably going to have to provide more details. I have used both in the past and they ran fine. Why are you using the gmail mobile app?
I've not had any problems with the gmail mobile app, but then, I don't use it too frequently. I have it installed because I'm on a BIS, which means I don't have complete sync between my inboxes and what's on my phone-- furthermore, sometimes I'll delete an e-mail on my phone but then will end up needing to read it again, so having the gmail app comes in handy then.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #25
rockymtnway

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

My favorite add on is definitely Google Maps, especially the sat views when I'm out and about in the woods (assuming I have data coverage, other times it's worthless). Finding the closest 10 resturants or ATMs is an amazingly valuable feature for me. Second place goes to Media Studio for Blackberry. Not an actual BB application, but great for converting dvds to videos for my BB. I have the best of SNL first season and it's a great time kill to watch a skit or two when I'm waiting in line at the DMV... then again, the looks I get for laughing hysterically while watching my Blackberry aren't exactly approving. Opera mini is pretty good, too, but I'm still getting used to a few of it's quirks.

Features and software I'd like to see:
Uploadable maps-specifically topographic maps like Garmin produces for their GPS units. Most of the time I'm lost, I'm out of cell data coverage, so the GPS is of limited value. Don't make me have to switch chips, as some have proposed a map SD card. I need to be able to buy a CD with maps on it, upload the ones I'll be using on that trip to my SD card, but still have room for my MP3 files, work files, and a few hundred Mb for videos since my BB has replaced my portable DVD player on trips.
A full screen video application-No sense in wasting space with controls if you don't need them once the movie is started.
FM band receiver-Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to listen to the radio once in a while without having to stream data? The chip for this is remarkably small and wouldn't add any size.
Software to download data from other devices-I know it's a small segment of the population, but as a cyclist who travels a great deal, I'd love to have just a little piece of code that would allow me to download data from me Garmin Edge 305 into my BB since it has such massive storage with the 2gb card relative to the Garmin unit. It would save me from having to carry my laptop, which is 9/10ths of the reason I own a BB.
Compatability with stereo bluetooth headphones-I've heard the rumors about it, now I'd like to see it. That would completely replace my i-Pod forever.
Audio memo feature-just like the note pad, but as a touch of the button, speak and record feature (digital audio recorder). I had that on my old Toshiba PDA and used it all the time when I was listening to NPR and heard about a book I wanted to buy or a website I needed to visit. Texting or typing while driving is dumb and dangerous (and yes, I know I'm going to offend someone by saying that, but it's true).
More games that I've heard of-I'm not a big gamer, but it would be nice to have some more options for strategy and tactical games. Right now the Handango options are pretty thin. Ghost Recon anyone?
A reasonably priced MS-Office for BB package-I know, there's one available, but $100 for a piece of BB software is just beyond me when I'll just be using it to add to a couple spreadsheets occasionally and maybe touch up a document or two. $29.95 and I'm sold.

Maybe I'll get lucky and some of the things I'm dreaming of are already out there.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:48 PM   #26
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

Silvermatrix (todoMatrix+ideaMmatrix)
Beyond411
Message Alerts - by Webmessenger

These get me by just perfect!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #27
janeenadamsmartin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

ToDoMatrix uses their own database, doesn't it? So tasks would never show in any of the themes that display tasks on a Today screen?

I'm thinking of getting SilverMatrix, but do like seeing tasks in a summary view with appts/messages, etc.
jan
Old 08-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #28
Captain_ofthe_Black_Pearl

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quick question, where can I download Google Maps? Thank you!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #29
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aur1640 View Post
I've recently had bad luck with Google Maps and Mobile GMail. Either one, the other, or both caused my 8830 to glitch or crash. Using the BlackBerry Media Manager to uninstall the programs wasn't very intuitive. However, when I finally uninstalled it, the system is much more stable. Please let me know if I've done anything wrong or have others experienced this problem.
I have only noticed problems with the Google apps recently. When stable, they are quality items.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:39 AM   #30
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_ofthe_Black_Pearl View Post
Quick question, where can I download Google Maps? Thank you!
Google Maps browse to there on your phone.
Closed Thread