BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
nEMESIS4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers
Default Is there anything that forces Outlook to leave mail on the server?

Please Login to Remove!

We have a couple clients who use Blackberry's. We push their email to their Blackberry, so there is no need for Outlook to leave a copy of the message on the server.

Whenever we uncheck that option and reopen Outlook the option is checked off again. It does take effect when it is unchecked because a Send/Receive will clear the box of any messages already downloaded.

Is this a setting on the Desktop Manager, or something else? My Blackberry is personal so I don't have the Desktop Manager on my work computer. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
aau007
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

Check with your system admin. Some pop servers have a server side setting to keep messages on server and cannot be overiden by client.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
nEMESIS4
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am the system admin. ;) They are connecting directly to our POP3 server, which does not have any settings like that enabled.

Regardless, even if it was server side I don't think that would be possible to force a setting like that, unless you are referring to something an internal exchange server can do.

We just host their email, and it only appears to be 2 people in their office having this problem, both have Blackberry's.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #4
aau007

Full OL or OL Express? are you sure the customer has admin rights to change settings in OL?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
nEMESIS4
Thumbs Must Hurt

They are using Outlook. I'm not sure if they do or not, I can either walk them through on the phone or go check myself. Is there a way to find out? It seems to accept the change fine and doesn't give any warning.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
aau007

Find out if the username belongs to the local administrators group. If the user belongs to an AD domain, there might be domain policies too.

Have you tried setting up the email account all over by setting up a brand new profile?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:06 AM   #7
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEMESIS4
I am the system admin. ;) They are connecting directly to our POP3 server, which does not have any settings like that enabled.

Regardless, even if it was server side I don't think that would be possible to force a setting like that, unless you are referring to something an internal exchange server can do.

We just host their email, and it only appears to be 2 people in their office having this problem, both have Blackberry's.
I'm NOT a BES Admin type - I work more on the device/desktop side, but I've been doing it for over 6 years.

I've never heard of a BES being set up with an Exchange POP server. Even if this is a valid configuration, wouldn't the BES want to have the email kept on the server until one of the clients (OL or the BB itself) specifically deletes it? Otherwise, it might disappear from the BB once Outlook has retrieved it!

Just curious. How come POP instead of full Exchange? And wouldn't this be a BIS setup rather than a BES (2?) setup?

No flaming please - like I said, I'm not well versed on the server side of the business!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
nEMESIS4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks guys, I should have been clearer.

They have a small office, no exchange server, no BES. They host their email on our server which is completely separate from their internal network. So they are just using Outlook and POP3, nothing else.

For their Blackberry's, our server forwards one copy to their @blackberry.com address and it leaves another copy on the POP3 server.

I will try removing their Outlook profile completely and add the account again to see if that works. I have never seen this before with Outlook, so I can't think of anything that would be causing this.
Closed Thread