Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #21
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: askme
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

i've had a WDS setting since Sep now, it works great. However, remember you are cutting your wireless bandwidth by half for each AP you add. This is not a problem for 99.9% of us using DSL/Cable/LAN internet connections as the wireless speed never reaches your true DSL/Cable/LAN speed.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #22
jimdarcy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT5L View Post
i've had a WDS setting since Sep now, it works great. However, remember you are cutting your wireless bandwidth by half for each AP you add. This is not a problem for 99.9% of us using DSL/Cable/LAN internet connections as the wireless speed never reaches your true DSL/Cable/LAN speed.
i avoided the signal decrease by running cat 5 to my 2 WAP54GPE linksys WAP's. great results for the gaming adapter, laptops, but havent perfected the 8320 hookup...yet
Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 AM   #23
kd78
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwichura View Post
Using the same channel, you will experience radio interference when the two AP's radios overlap each other. Multiple APs are used to create a larger seamless roaming environment. Thus, there must be some overlap (usually shoot for about 10-15% overlap, depends on how fast a wireless node is likely to be moving when transiting the overlap area) between APs. You want the APs to be on different radio channels so that you do not experience radio interference. Wireless devices can roam between them so long as they share the same SSID. The channel doesn't matter when it comes to roaming handoffs, the client is switching from one BSSID to another BSSID within the same SSID. But if you use the same channel, you are creating radio interference in the overlap area that will result in a performance drop and in extreme cases might cause a wireless node to get knocked off entirely and have to re-associate.
I totally disagree with this in the case of WDS and the subject of this thread.

The WDS specs state that the AP's radio signal between each other must be on the same channel. The only way you can do any different is to have an AP with two radio cards, one for WDS on one channel, and another for associated devices on another channel. I don't think most home users would have the option to do this (nor would they really need to) with the current brands of AP's on the consumer market.

If you aren't using WDS, as it sounds like JimDarcy is not, then you could have different channels for each AP and this would reduce the interference between AP's just like when you are dueling with your neighbor over channels. But, again I have found that my 8320 doesn't do a great job handing off between two different channels.

Anyone else have luck with an 8320 handing off consistently between two AP's with different channels?

Here is a link to some technical info on WDS and how the channels work if you want more info on this: (WARNING, PDF) http://www.pafree.net/media/TB-046.pdf

Last edited by kd78; 02-27-2008 at 08:33 AM..
Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #24
jimdarcy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd78 View Post
I totally disagree with this in the case of WDS and the subject of this thread.

The WDS specs state that the AP's radio signal between each other must be on the same channel. The only way you can do any different is to have an AP with two radio cards, one for WDS on one channel, and another for associated devices on another channel. I don't think most home users would have the option to do this (nor would they really need to) with the current brands of AP's on the consumer market.

If you aren't using WDS, as it sounds like JimDarcy is not, then you could have different channels for each AP and this would reduce the interference between AP's just like when you are dueling with your neighbor over channels. But, again I have found that my 8320 doesn't do a great job handing off between two different channels.

Anyone else have luck with an 8320 handing off consistently between two AP's with different channels?

Here is a link to some technical info on WDS and how the channels work if you want more info on this: (WARNING, PDF) http://www.pafree.net/media/TB-046.pdf
thanks for the article, i am not usinf WDS, i have had the best luck with channel 10, channel 1 doesnt work at all. kinda weird.
Closed Thread