BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 10:47 PM   #1
jsm174
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular
Default Do newer Blackberry's have serial ports?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello.

I'm new to BB programming. I started fooling around with the JDE and I notice that the 7290 simulator has a serial port option. (I wanted to start playing around with the SerialPortDemo.) However on the real device, I believe it only has a USB port. Are pretty much all the newer BBs without a serial port, or is there any USB to serial adapter that can be used.

If not, is the Bluetooth API serial port profile ever going to be released where it doesn't require paying for a key.

The June newsletter leads me to believe that RIM is really going to start supporting Bluetooth. I saw some mention of JDE 4.0.2 but I can't seem to find it on the site, so I assume its not out yet?

Thanks,
-- Jason
Old 06-16-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

What do you think the S in USB stands for... little bit different, but it's still 1 bit at a time... hence serial.

cd.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
jsm174

Do you really feel the need to be an "A", Corey??

The Blackberry serial port demo is for RS-232 serial communication. There is a seperate demo application for USB.

My question is specifially in regards to the SerialPortDemo.

Next time, read the entire post instead of just reading the title.. Next time I'll be a little more specific.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:37 AM   #4
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: o2

I don't know of any usb/rs-232 adapters but as far as bluetooth is concerned you can use the serial port protocol (spp) via bluetooth
Old 06-20-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Araaf

Hi jsm174,

We have faced similar questions at my company and in the end we heard that legacy rs232 support over the USB connector, will be available with the upcoming BB OS upgrade. Untill that time, you will need older Blackberry models, if you need to operate RS232 perhipherals. Sadly no USB-B to Serial conversion cables/adaptors can fix that...

Greetings,

Araaf
Old 06-20-2005, 09:58 PM   #6
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm174
Do you really feel the need to be an "A", Corey??

The Blackberry serial port demo is for RS-232 serial communication. There is a seperate demo application for USB.

My question is specifially in regards to the SerialPortDemo.

Next time, read the entire post instead of just reading the title.. Next time I'll be a little more specific.
Actually I do feel the need to be an "A"... I have a demo app from RIM that uses colour... can I run that on a 6280? Not all code is applicable to every model of handheld. As well... it doesn't take a genius to learn that the USB port on the handheld is a slave side device, you cannot hook a camera, mouse, keyboard, etc up to the USB port.

Another myth is that there is only 1 bluetooth profile (audio) on the blackberry, where in fact there are 9. The documentation is included with the JDK4 and will be improved in the docs for JDK4.1.

I did read the whole post, and I figure a little bit of common sense would have answered the whole question...
Old 06-24-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
jsm174

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
Actually I do feel the need to be an "A"
As you can see from other posts, it was a perfectly legitimate question. I just don't understand why some people can't just ignore the question rather than being a wise"A". Anyway, I'll apologize for my response.

Quote:
I have a demo app from RIM that uses colour... can I run that on a 6280? Not all code is applicable to every model of handheld.
Check out the simulator. If you run the 7520, you get the GPS dialog box. On other models, do you get a GPS dialog? As far as simulator's go, RIM's are the most professionally done that I have ever seen. So this is why I assumed they wouldn't show you the serial port option, or throw up an exception.

Quote:
it doesn't take a genius to learn that the USB port on the handheld is a slave side device, you cannot hook a camera, mouse, keyboard, etc up to the USB port.
Before positing this message, I did look around all over, and I did read that. I just didn't put two and two together, so I'm not a genious.

Quote:
Another myth is that there is only 1 bluetooth profile (audio) on the blackberry, where in fact there are 9. The documentation is included with the JDK4 and will be improved in the docs for JDK4.1.
I have read this, and this was the route I was planning on taking. Do you know if the Serial Port Profile API will be opened up, ie you won't have to pay for a key to use on the real device?

Last edited by jsm174; 06-24-2005 at 01:07 PM..
Old 06-26-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm174
If not, is the Bluetooth API serial port profile ever going to be released where it doesn't require paying for a key.
I think it will always require a key (as far as I know) but that it has now become accessible to developers. However, don't vouch me on that... maybe RIM intends to provide this API without a *paid* signing key, since BES admins can forcefully disable Bluetooth remotely for security reasons anyway...
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 07-01-2005, 06:23 AM   #9
KweetNiet

Model: 7100v

Quote:

If there are 9 profiles, can the be used then within self made programs? I've been reading a bit on other forums, they use JSR-82 JAVA API to make an SPP connection over bluetooth (http://www.benhui.net). They are doing this on a nokia 6600 and a P900 sony/ericsson.

The JAD/JAR files from NOKIA can run on BlackBerry aswell. So, if the profile is inside the Blackberry, can it then be used for this type of programnming?

Iwan
Old 08-01-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
ac@peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaf
Hi jsm174,

We have faced similar questions at my company and in the end we heard that legacy rs232 support over the USB connector, will be available with the upcoming BB OS upgrade. Untill that time, you will need older Blackberry models, if you need to operate RS232 perhipherals. Sadly no USB-B to Serial conversion cables/adaptors can fix that...

Greetings,

Araaf

Does anyone know if this is true, and if it is available yet? I need to connect to a datalogger built on Dallas TINI 400 with serial/rs232, ethernet, but no USB. I would like to use my BB7290, is it possible? Or should I give up on BB and go with Palm, which seems to have much more support for applications other than email.
Closed Thread