brpwn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Lightbulb [Opinion Request] Case/Holster Purchase Decision

Please Login to Remove!

Intro:
After hunting online for cases and holsters (and after reading some reviews via BBF and other various sites) I have narrowed my choices. I am stuck between the following 2 choices. In this thread, I am requesting, from the BBF community, opinions and comments on each product. Any technical/personal experience information will be helpful.

NOTE: Due to my lack of less then 10 posts, I cannot provide a hyperlink. I hope that will not discourage a copy & pasting of the URL. FYI - I had to remove the www in front of the URLs in order to post as well.

The Case & Clip:
Brand Name: Otter Box
Model: Defender

URL: otterbox.com/blackberry-8700/blackberry-8700-defender-series/

Pro: Good protection, Sleek design, & will decrease my cost in a screen protector.

Con: Plastic in front of keys (assuming it will make it harder to type), bulky size, and cost.

Along with the price of $49.95 for the case, I will need to purchase the belt clip that is designed for the defender at $14.95, making the total cost (pre-sales tax and shipping) $64.90. In my opinion, a hefty investment.

URL to belt clip for Defender: otterbox.com/blackberry-8700/blackberry-8700-defender-heavy-duty-belt-clip/

The Holster:
Brand Name: Prima
Model: Premium Lateral

URL: primacases.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=179

Pro: Sleek, professional design. Low cost. Seems to be a durable clip, from what I can tell. Magnetically closing which reduces sound (versus Velcro) and easy access.

Con: Doesn't offer protection, and will purchase a screen protector adding to the cost.

Conclusion:
Hopefully I have made my argument between the 2 choices clear. Again, any information or personal experiences will be helpful.

FYI, if anyone can give me some personal experience with a plastic cover over their button keys, specifically, that would be MUCH help to me.

Thanking BBF in advance,
-cl

Last edited by brpwn; 04-15-2009 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Highlight
Old 04-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
rgc

Model: 8900
Carrier: T Mobile

Wow, apples and oranges. I have recently spent quite some time (more then I should have) looking at different cases. Out of the two you chose I personally would go with the Otterbox. Just seems to be great for protection. Heck, even though I went down a different road then you in case selection, I might still end up with an Otterbox one day for camping and such.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
brpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgc View Post
Wow, apples and oranges. I have recently spent quite some time (more then I should have) looking at different cases. Out of the two you chose I personally would go with the Otterbox. Just seems to be great for protection. Heck, even though I went down a different road then you in case selection, I might still end up with an Otterbox one day for camping and such.
I appreciate your reply rgc. After my original post, I continued to exhaust more options while waiting for replies or suggestions. Here on BBF I read a thread regarding the Otter Box Defender Case damaging a few people's Blackberries. Also, the Defender was causing an echoing issue. So, I decided not to go with the Defender.

As for the leather holster, since it did not offer any protection outside of the holster, I continued to search for more options in protection. After searching some more, I found and purchased the Mobi Aluminum Case.

Mobi Products Aluminum Case - BlackBerry Metal Cases - EverythingBerry Store

Last edited by brpwn; 04-17-2009 at 02:55 PM..
Old 04-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I have the Otterbox for my 8830. It definitely is a TANK. It adds to the weight and bulk.

It really does not hamper typing - the membrane is quite thin but protective, wrapping around the keyboard, top and back - making it quite water-resistant.

It does make one less inclined to remove the BB from the case. But as the other person mentioned, I do go camping, biking and cross-country skiing with my blackberry so I did want it well-protected.

I have read that folks have found it cheaper on the web, possibly ebay????
Old 04-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
rgc

Model: 8900
Carrier: T Mobile

Thanks FF2 for the Otterbox comments.

Hey brpwn, once you get it come back and let us know what you think of it. I went ahead and ordered a leather sleeve from Beyza for my 8900. I need it for transport in pockets and such for work right now, but, I am always looking at other options.

rgc
Old 04-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
brpwn

rgc: Will do. ETA on the Mobi case is 4/23/09, but there will be a bit of a delay because I had to ship my BB back to the seller for an exchange do to a technical issue. I will be more then happy to give a review on the case though; I look forward to writing it!

If it helps you at all, I watched a video review of the case before finalizing my decision. Here is the link, via YouTube. A big plus for me, was towards the end of the review, they show that the belt clip piece that connects to the case is "screwed" on. I love heavy duty hardware!

YouTube - Blackberry 8800 Aluminum Case-Review

Quote:
Why don't people use me?

-Search Button
Old 04-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
brpwn

Here is a link to my review of the aluminum case:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/hard...ml#post1366913