Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
Richard Holloway
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default USB Charging?

Please Login to Remove!

I can't find where I read this now but I think it was in the BB Manual.

Somewhere I read that you can charge your BB from your computer but "only" if certain software is installed?

That can't be right can it? (The "only" part.)

Surely if you can charge it from a wall to USB charger and a car to USB charger, any PC (or Mac, etc.) with a USB port would work, right? (Or at least one with enough output power-- some laptops have low power limits for USB I realize.)
Old 09-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

...which is why Desktop Manager loads USB drivers to "power-up" the USB ports to feed the juice your BB needs...

Load Desktop Manager to your PC.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Richard Holloway

So if the computer has "standard" power USB is should work? (Like most desktops or some larger laptops.)

I'm not taking issue with using the software, but it isn't always an option-- If I need to charge, especially from a Mac or perhaps a friend's PC, is there some danger by not having the software available?

I can bring the charger if I have to, but I'd rather leave the charger sitting at home and just scavenge power, typically from my MacBook Pro when I travel for example-- one less thing to haul / break / loose on trips...
Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

There's no "danger" in charging from a PC-USB without BB Device Manger or Desktop Manager being loaded--you just may not get a charge with the proper power levels.

Before you off expecting it to charge, test it first. If the charge indicator on the BB appears, you should be safe. otherwise, just load the DM and be done with it.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
Richard Holloway

The problem is that I use a Mac exclusively when I travel-- at home I can get to a PC or the wall charger so it is much less of an issue. Then, I was thinking if I got in a jam, I might also be able to plug-in to a PC on site, but I can't install the software on someone else's machine just to charge my phone-- that wouldn't be appropriate.

Maybe it will work as is, or maybe the PocketMac software solves the concern-- I'll look further at PocketMac and see if that solves it. I just installed it but so far haven't seen where the power issue is mentioned at all...

My initial assumption was that the worst case would be slow charging if the USB couldn't keep up but I'd rather ask those who might know before I blow something up...

Last edited by Richard Holloway; 09-10-2008 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
Ricky-Ray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Most of the newer blackberries requires the desktop manager to be installed so the blackberry drivers are there and can charge the blackberry without any problems. Most of the computers that I have dealt with that didn't have DM installed did not charge the blackberry when it was plugged into the USB port.

A Fisherman at heart living in the IT world.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #7
Heavy Fluid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask please
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Holloway View Post
The problem is that I use a Mac exclusively when I travel-- at home I can get to a PC or the wall charger so it is much less of an issue. Then, I was thinking if I got in a jam, I might also be able to plug-in to a PC on site, but I can't install the software on someone else's machine just to charge my phone-- that wouldn't be appropriate.

Maybe it will work as is, or maybe the PocketMac software solves the concern-- I'll look further at PocketMac and see if that solves it. I just installed it but so far haven't seen where the power issue is mentioned at all...

My initial assumption was that the worst case would be slow charging if the USB couldn't keep up but I'd rather ask those who might know before I blow something up...

I believe that PocketMac will allow charging on a Mac. I never tried to charge without it, so I cannot answer. I just went ahead and installed DM on the PC I use at work in case I need to charge. I really like DM over PocketMac. I have only loaded pics on DM, but it looks much nicer, and is very easy to use. PM could use a few tips on how to do it from DM
Old 09-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #8
Leyasen

Model: 7100G
Carrier: CMCC

I guess BB dosen't need any software if "only" for charging!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
Richard Holloway

I'm curious-- does anyone know the max power draw for a BB, specifically an 8330 Curve? The factory CHARGER shows .7A. The computers I'd be using have what I think is fairly standard-- 500mA Bus USB power.

I should think the BB would not exceed 500mA and their supplied wall-wart is just designed with a bit of extra capacity, but I can't seem to locate the spec.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I've seen it posted here in the forums before, where--I don't recall just now.

Why is it that you don't want to install pocket mac?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
Heavy Fluid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask please
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I've seen it posted here in the forums before, where--I don't recall just now.

Why is it that you don't want to install pocket mac?
Have you used it? LOL. I can understand why he doesn't want to.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Yeps, I have, own three Macs.

I don't like it either. But for installing the drivers needed, that doesn't mean he has to use PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #13
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: S AND NEEDLES
Carrier: VZW

I know this doesn't directly apply to the mac situation, but aren't there usb drivers that you can install to the pC without full up DM? I recall doing that before (with a pearl), but don't have that set up now.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
Richard Holloway

I don't object to the software at all. I'm trying to fully understand my options. So far they appear rather limited. I at appears that if I try to attach w/o the software it wants to try and go into "mass storage mode" (per the BB prompt). I declined that.

I have only put pocketmac on one Mac so far but in no case have I seen a charge indicator come on. I know some things can get USB power while these Macs are in sleep mode so I tried that too.

If the indicator is correct, neither when asleep or awake, with or without pocketmac installed (latest rev) do I get a "charging" indicator on the BB. When I plug to wall supply the indicator changes immediately.

Out of time for now-- have only tried ALL this on a G4 ("Aluminum" PowerBook). Have tried an (Intel) MacBook Pro only awake/asleep without the pocketmac-- that will be for tonight but I'm not too hopeful...

Note that on the Al Book, the software appears correctly installed and recognizes the BB, etc., just no indication for charging...

Seems rather a hassle if I have to charge "off-line" from the Mac, no?

Any other Mac folks with some experience in these matters out there?

Thank again--
Old 09-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #15
matt_harman

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default USB Charging

Hi all, I'm new to the world of BB and the adiction is coming on strong . I missplaced my charger so went down the USB route thinking that this would just work straight out of the box. Bit suprised and disapointed that it didn't.

I found some instructions on the forum on how to install the USB device manager to allow the charging to work. This works great. However, it's messed up my USB ports so I can't run USB powered speakers of head phone etc. Has anyone else come across the issue? If I un-install the USB driver then everything else works fine. I'm running the power off my Dell Latitude D620 laptop.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #16
ah2819

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile US

Going totally from memory here, so I might have this wrong.

By default the USB ports only supply 100mA, but this can be increased to 500mA under software control. If you plug in your blackberry without Desktop Manager, then the blackberry only gets 100mA. This isn't enough to charge a blackberry (for my 8700 at least), and the blackberry stops trying to charge itself when it sees that it is only getting 100mA. When Desktop Manager is loaded the software increases the USB current to 500mA, and the blackberry is able to charge.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 AM   #17
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

For those who are a bit handy, it's been posted that a resistor can be soldered into a cable that will enable charging without the drivers.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-driver-s.html
Old 09-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #18
cde3879
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: 255432B2
Carrier: Orange UK

Plug your BB into your computer. Visit windows update and install the optional Blackberry hardware driver that is offered to you in the list of available updates.

Bingo, USB charging without needing DM.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #19
cde3879
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: 255432B2
Carrier: Orange UK

Of course, this won't work on a mac unless you bootcamp or parallels it

Should learn to read before posting, really!!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:30 AM   #20
prescottspies

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange

I use linux with no blackberry software installed and it charges fine - in fact it charges when im in bios!
Closed Thread