BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
dmacke

Model: xxx
Carrier: xxx
Default Synchronizing Calendar using ASCII Text

Please Login to Remove!

We are small-medium company that uses an internal application for contact management and calendar scheduling. Its our homebrew program running with on a MySQL back-end for the data. The bosses want the ability to sync their new Blackberries with our MySQL database(s).

Dumping or doing sync with Outlook is not option. We are Linux and primarily open source office. So from everything I read, I should be able to create ASCII text files to sync calendar.

We can certainly develop methods to export their mySQL entries to a text file...which Blackberry seems to support - though no one has really documented the process.

So here is my problem...bosses won't let me man-handle their Blackberry to do my bidding. I only use analog phones and wear a tin-foil hat to prevent the man from corrupting my brain....so I need to program files and build text files without any documentation or manuals.

So -- does anyone have any suggestion? What is the structure for the text files to sync calendar in Blackberry? Will the calendar generate ASCII of current entries? If so, then I could have them do a calendar dump and build from there? Is there a simple process to do what I am asking?

Any suggestion would be great....
Old 11-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
arconsulting
Thumbs Must Hurt

You have a couple of options:

1 - Create an Intellisync plug-in that will sync your contacts. This needs to be done in C++. The entries will appear in the device's calendar app.

2 - Transfer the data via USB. We've done this for one client where a desktop-side app communicates with a device-side app and transfers the data via USB. The entries appear in the device's calendar app.

3 - Write a server-side app that pushes the entries to the device. However, for push, you will need a BES which I'm guessing you don't have.
BlackBerry consulting and development (RIM SI Partner)
Closed Thread