BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 04:19 AM   #1
johnarky

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmobile
Default Plantronics 655

Please Login to Remove!

I just ordered a Plantronics 655 and I should have it in a day or so. I now see that there is apparently a difference between the Plantronics version and the RIM version. I had been checking the shopblackberry.com website for the past few week but it hasn't ever let me click on the headset (claiming something about "cookies"). There must be something wrong with the site because it doesn't work on any computer or browser I try.

Anyway, is the difference between the 2 devices merely in the firmware of the headset? If so, does anyone foresee an update for the plantronics version? Lastly, how much "better" is the rim version over the plantronics version?

I know there are other threads discussing some of this but it's a bit overwhelming and there must be others with similar questions to this.

Thanks...
Old 12-22-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I've read where it works fine with the blackberry.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
mortys11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

The Plantronics Version Has A 3 Sec Delay When Answering Calls, Rim Version Dosent.

I Have The Rim Version And Have Experienced Some Mis-connects On Calls....its Not Perfect
Old 01-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
jtaylor

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Bell

I just purchased the RIM version this morning. After testing it in the car, and in a mall, I ended up taking it back a couple of hours later. The reason is that it does a very poor job of filtering out the background noise. In both cases, the person I was calling complained of not being able to hear me clearly due to the background noise. I could hear them just fine.

It's really too bad. The unit was comfortable to wear and, best of all, it can be charged using the BB's own cables, thereby eliminating extra cords.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Well, just for balance, I'm quite happy with my RIM 655. The reports that *I* get are that it filters out the background noise quite nicely, and I sound better on the other end through the headset than I do holding the phone to my ear and talking directly. Same reports as I got with the Plantronics 645 before it.

And, I "upgraded" to the RIM HS-655 to have a sturdier clip on the charge pocket, as well as to get rid of the delay. The delay with the Plantronics versions is not 3 seconds - more like a second and a half - *maybe* 2 seconds tops. Now that I have the 655, I've discovered that the lack of delay is appreciated *if* I have it in my ear when I receive a call. OTOH, if I get a call and have to pull it from the sleeve and put it in my ear, the delay is just about the same amount of time it takes to get the thing out and into your ear, so it really isn't that bad.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
LaRock

Model: 8700c

Yes, the Plantronics 655 does do better noise filtering then holding the Blackberry to your ear, since the Blackberry could pick up the sound of a snail farting from a mile away... it's still does a poor job of filtering in noisey places (ie Mall, Airport, Resturant).

I posted a mini-review of the 655 vs 510 here - (Bluetooth Connection
Bluetooth Headset Reviews (Page 13)) -- forum won't let me post URL since I haven't post 10 times
Old 01-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRock
Yes, the Plantronics 655 does do better noise filtering then holding the Blackberry to your ear, since the Blackberry could pick up the sound of a snail farting from a mile away... it's still does a poor job of filtering in noisey places (ie Mall, Airport, Resturant).
Again, opinions and reports seem to vary widely on this. My callers give me good reports regarding the noise filtering in noisy environments - and I spend a LOT of time in various airports. So I wouldn't say it does a poor job at all. Obviously different folks seem to have different experiences with it, for whatever reason.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
faisal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Jawbone is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
Again, opinions and reports seem to vary widely on this. My callers give me good reports regarding the noise filtering in noisy environments - and I spend a LOT of time in various airports. So I wouldn't say it does a poor job at all. Obviously different folks seem to have different experiences with it, for whatever reason.
I had the 655 and couldnt wait to get rid of it. it was absolutly horrible at airports and noise environments. I got the jawbone and it is awsome. i can actually use my BT headset now.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
claykin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

Plantronics announced the 665 headset at CES. Compared to 655 the 665 has a slightly smaller housing, supposedly better noise reduction and some quick BT connect feature. its shipping in February.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #10
claykin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

The deal breaker for me and the jawbone is the multifunction button to turn on/off and answer calls. I like a separate on/off button so I can keep the headset off and turn it on when needed for an incoming call. The Jawbone takes too long to turn on and connect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal
I had the 655 and couldnt wait to get rid of it. it was absolutly horrible at airports and noise environments. I got the jawbone and it is awsome. i can actually use my BT headset now.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #11
No Longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin
Plantronics announced the 665 headset at CES. Compared to 655 the 665 has a slightly smaller housing, supposedly better noise reduction and some quick BT connect feature. its shipping in February.

I have this on order and will be offering special pricing for BBF members. Receiving it by mid February.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #12
Michbb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23FAA477
Carrier: Tmo

Does anyone who has the Plantronics 655 have an issue with an incoming call and it taking about 5 seconds to pick up the call. I have this issue with my phone and when I have talked to plantronics about it and this was the response

The headset does not control the rate at which data is sent/received from the phone.

Yes, this may be normal.

Try answering the call on the phone, and then transfer the call to the headset by pressing the Control button on the headset.

I am hoping that there was a fix for this. Does anyone know?

Thanks
Closed Thread