Old 10-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
twodayfestival

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Undecided
Default T-mobile 8320 or AT&T 8320???

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all! Here goes my very first post :

So my 8700 finally died on me (admittedly it went through a lot of abuse ) And now, with my current budget and price range, i have decided on buying a used 8320.

As of right now I am locked into a contract with AT&T for another four months. After that I will be switching over to T-mobile, as my dad has T-mobile, and pays about $30 less/mo than I do, and gets just as good service around our home as I do with AT&T.

So what i need is a phone that I can use on the the AT&T network for a little while and then switch over to T-mobile. Either way I know that I will have to unlock my phone.

1) I am debating weather to buy a T-mobile 8320 or an AT&T 8320. I have read in other forums that it is very possible to switch an unlocked T-mobile 8320 to the AT&T network but that certain functions do not work, such as push e-mail and MMS. Does anyone have a full list of what functionality I will loose? Also, has anyone been able to get MMS working on a T-mobile 8320 switched over to the AT&T network?

2) I havn't read about anyone who took an unlocked AT&T 8320 over to the T-mobile network. I assume that this is doable, because i have read about people who have switched T-mobile 8320's over to AT&t. Is there any reason that this assumption may be wrong? Also if i switch an unlocked AT&T 8320 over to T-mobile, is there anyway to download software that would allow it to work via the UMA networks, or is that functionality derived from hardware, and thus not available to AT&T 8320's?

3) If I end up with a T-mobile 8320, I will have to unlock it. I know that if an existing customer calls T-mobile and asks for the unlock code, T-mobile will give it to them. My problem is that I have never been a T-Mobile customer. Will they still give me the unlock code even if i am not a customer (of course I won't tell them that I'm trying to get it to switch over to At&t)? If not, could I have my dad (a long, and well-standing T-mobile customer) to ask for the unlock code for me, even if it is not his phone?

Any information you know, or other forums you could point me to to help enlighten me would be much appreciated.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Make sure you read our FAQ article on buying a used BB from eBay - no matter hwere you are getting it. A used BB is a used BB and the info is the same.

An unlocked 8320 should work on any GSMnetwork.

Make sure TMO has the coverage where you need the device, not just around your home. A cheap plan is too expensive if you have no signal where you need one.

As for getting the unlock code, why not try to buy it unlocked? It will not work on UMA. You must have an UMA enabled device to do that. If it isn't, you can't make it so with software.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-03-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
FredNotBob

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodayfestival View Post
3) If I end up with a T-mobile 8320, I will have to unlock it. I know that if an existing customer calls T-mobile and asks for the unlock code, T-mobile will give it to them. My problem is that I have never been a T-Mobile customer. Will they still give me the unlock code even if i am not a customer (of course I won't tell them that I'm trying to get it to switch over to At&t)? If not, could I have my dad (a long, and well-standing T-mobile customer) to ask for the unlock code for me, even if it is not his phone?
No, you don't have to be an existing T-Mobile customer.

T-Mobile will give you the unlock code for any T-Mobile device, but only for T-Mobile devices. You can have pretty much anyone ask for the unlock code; instructions to unlock the device are sent via e-mail or SMS.

T-Mobile requires a data plan for Blackberry service if you're upgrading or buying a new service -- no way around it, I'm afraid, but if you have an SMS package there are web-only options that'll save you a few bucks.

Good luck, and enjoy your time with T-Mobile!
Old 10-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
lyalp

Model: 8320
Carrier: ATT
Default Unlock code from T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post

T-Mobile will give you the unlock code for any T-Mobile device, but only for T-Mobile devices. You can have pretty much anyone ask for the unlock code; instructions to unlock the device are sent via e-mail or SMS.

T-Mobile requires a data plan for Blackberry service if you're upgrading or buying a new service -- no way around it, I'm afraid, but if you have an SMS package there are web-only options that'll save you a few bucks.

Good luck, and enjoy your time with T-Mobile!
This has not been my experience. I've tried three times in the past couple days (two phone calls and one visit to the local store) to get an unlock code for an 8320 I bought on Craigslist. Been told that they would only give an unlock code to a customer with an active account.

Been real nice each time....Is it just me??

Lyal
Old 10-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyalp View Post
This has not been my experience. I've tried three times in the past couple days (two phone calls and one visit to the local store) to get an unlock code for an 8320 I bought on Craigslist. Been told that they would only give an unlock code to a customer with an active account.

Been real nice each time....Is it just me??

Lyal
That's everyone's policy: free unlock codes only for current account holders (3 months + account in good standing).
Old 10-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
I don't believe that is correct. You have to be a T-Mobile customer, in good standing and you can only do an unlock once every three months (or some time frame).
Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
Daughain
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: T-Mobile

I did it the other way around, though I used an 8310. Bought a used ATT phone, swapped it over to Tmo. Using the right WAP and TCP settings on the phone you can get away with the cheap 6 buck tzone thing. Unless you absolutely need the BB services. If you want more info, send me message or find me on yahoo, same username.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
AnnetteEaster

Model: 8120
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Switching from ATT, WAP setting

How do I change these settings. I have a new ATT perl that I want to use my T-mobile account. TMobile sent me a new SIM but the bbery still says invalid sim card.

Simple: Switching ATT to T-Mobile, no need for email just phone and texting.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Daughain
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: T-Mobile

OK, you ned to get the unlock code from ATT, once you have your phone unlocked, you need to update the OS with the Tmo version. Just check the tmo website for the software upgrade section. DL the OS you need, and it is straightforward as any other OS. Or should be. Once you get that far you *should* have voice and text. I'm not positive as I was using "incompatible" hardware when I did mine. Let me know if you need any more help.
Closed Thread