Model: 8800
PIN: uh uh
Carrier: many
Default DST Hell - need clever ideas fast

Please Login to Remove!

OK, here's where I am.

800 4.1 BES users

400 3.6 BES users

4.1 BES, Update manager pushing ok to most handsets, no problem there. However the patch is failing on 90% of the handhelds. Most 8700's are ok but some still error on patch download with 0x8D or 0x88, 0x87' or 0x83's. Most but not all other model handsets fail with the above errors and there doesnt seem to be a link with firmware levels. Manually downloading the patch also fails with the same errors. The handsets that fail all display "Error installing DST 2007 Patch" displayed on handset. All handsets have same IT policy and same software configs applied (2.3 Patch Manager)

3.6 BES users are all having to manually download the patch. There is no IT plicy restriction and again most install the patch manager fine but fail installing the patch whether that be OTA download or USB. Same error displayed on handset as 4.1 users.

This has got me really confused, other than the 8700's mostly being successful, I cant see any obvious pattern. I'm begining to think that the firmware provided by various EU providers somehow differs than others or something.

If anyone has any bright ideas on what or where to look, please get in touch.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

1) Do a double check on one of the handhelds that 2.3 patch manager is actually applied...it should have resolved a lot of the 0x87 and 0x88 errors.

2) In your software config you have the "Application Software" heading, then you can expand that to show all the apps you are pushing. Right at the "Application Software" heading, change the Application Control Policy to be <none>, then assign an Application Control Policy to the actual DST 2007 entry you have listed below. In that Application Control Policy look at the "External Network Connections" and set it to Allow (not the default Prompt) and change the Disposition to Optional (i'm assuming it's at required right now)

There are two different things you can test to rule in/out MDS or App Push. Complete application loader (erasing all currently installed applications) then manually downloading the patch manager from the web site before activating it. This should work 100%. Next test is with one of the ones getting the 0x88 and 0x87 error, delete the Desktop [IPPP] service book and pull the battery for 10 seconds. when it boots back up, it should no longer see the MDS connection and therefore default to another IPPP connection or the WAP browser. If this works, tells you that the Patch Manager is not properly failing over to the next transport like it should, and 2.3 was supposed to fix this. If this handheld now get's the 0x8D error, then you probably have the app control policy set at the application software level instead of the DST Patch level. You can confirm/deny that this is causing the error by app loading a handheld to remove the patch manager, re-activating on the BES, but do not have the user assigned to the software config. Go to the web site and download manually...should work perfectly

Zro
Old 03-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
Sp!ke
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: uh uh
Carrier: many

Thanks for the response Zro. You seem to have guided me in roughly the correct direction and I believe I have now cracked it.

What was happening here is that we had an IT policy blocking the Carrier Browser. (We wanted everyone going through the corporate proxy)

It seems the faster model handsets with Edge and 3G etc were mostly getting the download fine via the Blackberry Browser. Slower handsets with lesser networking capabilities and slower CPU's were hitting the timeout barrier and weren't able to retry using the carrier browser due to thew IT policy. Hence barfing and erroring out on the install.

Since turning off this restriction, handsets are updating properly albeit slowly at about 4 per hour.

Thanks again.
Closed Thread