Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
chicagotattoo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default uncaught exception error in address book

Please Login to Remove!

ok i posted the wrong error message in my last post...sorry about that..i am getting an error that reads as follows

uncaught exception:java.lang.Illegal.argument exception

so i only get this occasionally but it is when i go to type in a name from the home screen i get a couple letters then an hour glass and then this error

can someone please tell me why this is happening and what i can do to fix it

thanks again
Old 12-23-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
AntonyR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I get it a lot as well
Old 12-23-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

I used to get that often when I was running the .42 OS on my 8100 but when I upgraded to .51 it stopped. Since then I've ran .64, .67 and now I am running .69 OS and I'm not getting the uncaught exception:java.lang.Illegal.argument exception messages.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
chicagotattoo

Model: 9000

i am running 4.2.0.69 from cingular and im still getting the error..its not so bad but kind of annoying
Old 12-30-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
JrFoxMN

Model: 8100
Carrier: Telstra

Same issue - it's getting on my nerves. Starts when i dial a few letters into the address book.

What add'l apps have people installed? I have Googld Maps, Yahoo IM and Google IM. Has anyone tried a full wipe of the sytem yet and started over?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
rkdvsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrFoxMN
Same issue - it's getting on my nerves. Starts when i dial a few letters into the address book.

What add'l apps have people installed? I have Googld Maps, Yahoo IM and Google IM. Has anyone tried a full wipe of the sytem yet and started over?
Does IM count as sending and receiving text messages?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

Welcome to the forums!

There are quite a few threads about what apps folks have on their BB's. The Aftermarket Software discussions are a good place to start.

Yes, many people have fully wiped the system and started over. That's what an OS upgrade does and you can also do it to solve problems that may arise.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdvsm
Does IM count as sending and receiving text messages?
Welcome to the forums,

It depends on the application you are using. The IM application that comes installed on the BB uses sms text messages. BBMessenger comes on the BB but is pin to pin (Blackberry-Blackberry) instant messaging and uses only data. There are other IM applications for use with MSN, AOL, ICQ, etc. that will use data instead of SMS but have to be downloaded and installed. Search the Aftermarket Software discussions and you'll find lots of good info.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
JrFoxMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Welcome to the forums!

There are quite a few threads about what apps folks have on their BB's. The Aftermarket Software discussions are a good place to start.

Yes, many people have fully wiped the system and started over. That's what an OS upgrade does and you can also do it to solve problems that may arise.
Thanks for the welcome.

I wasn't asking about what apps people have in terms of adding capabilities - I'm simply trying to find a common thread for those of us who are specifically having Uncaught Exception error when they start typing a few letters into the address book.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome.

I wasn't asking about what apps people have in terms of adding capabilities - I'm simply trying to find a common thread for those of us who are specifically having Uncaught Exception error when they start typing a few letters into the address book.
I gotcha....I know I've seen other threads about this problem, can't remember just where, though. My guess (and it's only a guess) is it probably has more to do with something in your address book than other software loaded. Wiping and realoading might help but then when you restore your contact list the problem may just come right back. Search around the boards and see what else is out there about it. Someone else may come across this thread and give you some more help, too. Again, welcome!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #11
rayzz

Carrier: Tmobile

this has been discussed a few times, from what I have read (and witnessed on my own phone) it seems to happen when you read a certain name (or names) and is caused by a corrupt phonebook entry. For example, my usually only pops up when I search for the name "John". Some fixes I have read about are just re-entering all the names over and not transferring them from another phone/pc. I have no clue if they work, it's really not that hard for me to press the ok button so I don't bother. Why spend hours fixing something that takes a tenth of a second to bypass every other week? I'll leave that up to RIM.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:09 PM   #12
JrFoxMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzz
this has been discussed a few times, from what I have read (and witnessed on my own phone) it seems to happen when you read a certain name (or names) and is caused by a corrupt phonebook entry.
Why spend hours fixing something that takes a tenth of a second to bypass every other week? I'll leave that up to RIM.
Thanks, rayzz - I'll do some more searching and see what I can find in the forums (this was the main thread I discovered after searching - just using the error code is way too generic).

And I wish it only affected me every other week - mine is about every 3rd time I dial.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:45 AM   #13
rizzaj

Carrier: Rogers

I also have this exception error and it is really bothering me mainly because after i get that error then go into standby if someone calls I can't answer the call. I can move the pearl to answer but can't click on it. I also can't click on the green answer button as well. So i wait the call goes to voicemail then i take out the battery and put it back in and then it seems to work.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #14
Dinkoh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

I'm still having this rather annoying problem. Anyone have a known permanent solution?
Old 02-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #15
John Clark
BBF Moderator

This happened to me out of the blue on an address group I had. I emailed something to the group. Then a few minutes later I went to email the same group and it wouldn't take it. When I went to edit the group I got the error. I had to delete the group and recreate it. You have a corrupted entry somewhere. It can be diffucult to trace which one.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

happens to me like twice a week - I have over 1000 contacts so re-entering is NOT an option for me.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #17
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Here's two quick and easy things that will usually fix this for the address book.

1) Go into Address Book > Options and change the sorting order to something other than what it is. Save the change. You can now go back in and set the sorting order back to what it was. What this does is reindex the address book and will usually resolve the error when you're searching for a name.

2) If that doesn't work for some reason and you have access to desktop manager for the PC, go into Backup & Restore > Advanced, select the Address book on the right, click the left arrow (will back it up) then highlight it on the left, click the right arrow to restore it (say yes to the prompt to overwrite everything). This will also do a reindex and possibly fix any corruption within the actual Address book database.

Zro
Old 02-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Thanks, Zro! Good info.
Closed Thread