BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
rookie1082
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Problems activating Pearl on BES...

Please Login to Remove!

So i bought the pearl yesterday and out of the box activated my BES services wirelessly on the handheld without a hitch. After about an hour or so, i stopped getting email on my Pearl, but could still send them out. So then I wiped the handheld, clearing all of the settings and then i tried to activate the BES again through the wizard and entered in my email account and the activation password...

Anyway, the next screen just sits on "activating A...@mycompany.com"... Then after about 15 minutes i would say it gives the error message:

The server is not responding, please contact your system administrator...

However, if i take my Other blackberry, the 7100i that the company pays for, i can register and activate that one without a hitch every time using the same settings... Anyone have any ideas of what steps i should take to resolve this?

Running BES for exchange 4.0 i believe. I just can't figure out why it worked earlier, then just stopped. None of the settings were changed for my user account.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
rookie1082
Thumbs Must Hurt

Also, I cannot do a local activation because the actual computer does not recognize the BB as a device, just as a large storage device... I understand that I would need to install the drivers for the server to recognize the device locally, but would that require an unistallation of older desktop manager software?
Old 09-13-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie1082
Also, I cannot do a local activation because the actual computer does not recognize the BB as a device, just as a large storage device... I understand that I would need to install the drivers for the server to recognize the device locally, but would that require an unistallation of older desktop manager software?
You must install BDM 4.2 for the 8100 to be recognized.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-14-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
rookie1082
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks, fisher.

So I installed BDM 4.2 and recognized the device , so i did a local activation for the BES. I got my emails that were waiting for me while hooked up to the server with no problem obviously, but when i unhooked it, i can't receive emails... I should say actually that i DONT receive emails... When i SEND emails, nobody receives them.

There is an option on the pearl that you can color code your emails and text message backgrounds so that you know what account you're sending it from, and when i color code my Enterprise emails to red, it doesnt show up when i actually try to write that email...

Now when i go under security settings on my BB, it shows 3 services running...

They are all named desktop:

Desktop [s573359] (3DES)
Desktop [my corporate email address] (3DES) <--- the 3DES i'm not sure about because its cut off the screen to the right, but its my assumption...
Desktop [besadmin@mycompany.com] (3DES)

Should i have 3 services running?? I thought i just needed the one service with just my corporate email account. help anyone?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Should i have 3 services running?? I thought i just needed the one service with just my corporate email account. help anyone?
I have never seen more than one item listed under services. If it was me, I would probably wipe and reactivate from scratch again.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-14-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
rookie1082
Thumbs Must Hurt

Maybe they were causing a conflict...

I'll wipe and do a local activation again...

I wonder why the heck i can't do a wireless activation though...

Normally, if you CANT do a wireless activation but CAN do a local activation, does that generally mean there will be some kind of a problem after u activate the device?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
rookie1082
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ugh... Another problem...

So I wiped and reactivated normally and it said activation successful... I only have ONE service running now, but i'm having problems again..

WHen i look in the BES manager on the server, it says that it send the security policy successfully to me, and that i'm connected yadayadayada... Under the "LAST RESULT" column, it says "Refused by Handheld", which i'm assuming means the emails... Also, when i try to SEND an email, it wont send it, saying under the message status that "Service blocked." What could be causing this problem?

I've looked around on my handheld and don't see any settings that are blocking services?!

Edit:

Under SERVICE BOOKS:

I have two desktop entries, one with [CICAL] and another with [CMIME] (don't know if that helps)
Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 AM   #8
mischief007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Nope
Carrier: Nope

Not enough service books. Wipe the BlackBerry, remove yourself from the BES, re-add to the BES, set a new enterprise activation password, and then try activating wirelessly.

Why wirelessly? Well if this doesn't work, then there's a good change nothing else will work even when the wired activation goes through. Again if it fails, a good bet would be to call your carrier at that point to make sure everything looks good from their end and if need be, escalate to RIM.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
rookie1082
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've went through those steps many times...

Bottom line is that Tmobile screwed up. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
h1st0ry

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
I've went through those steps many times...

Bottom line is that Tmobile screwed up. Thanks for the help guys!
I have 2 new pearl devices that appear to be having the same problem, and I am using T-Mobile as a carrier also. I will check with the carrier to make sure everything is setup correctly, and if it isn't I will post exactly what service wasn't setup so everyone knows what to look for if this happens to them.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #11
Zharin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800g
Carrier: verizon

To my knowledge, "refused by handheld" status means the PIN was deactivated on the RIM network. Usually a call to the Carrier will fix this.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #12
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Refused by handheld is NOT that RIM had deactivated the PIN. if RIM had deactivated the PIN then the message would never get to the handheld to be refused.

I personally think that the BlackBerry services (at least the Enterprise Services) were deactivated. when an EA times out after 15 minutes you have to look at if the activation email is getting to your mailbox. if it is and not being picked up by the BES, then look at the BES side and why it's not picking up. If the message isn't getting to your mailbox, try activating with your gmail/yahoo/hotmail address, does the activation message get there? yes, check if your spam filter is stopping them. If it doesn't then do you have upper case EDGE on your pearl? or is it edge? If no EDGE, no BlackBerry Services.

As for the multiple services under security, you have one that is your BES, one that is Redirector for you, and one that is redirector for BES admin. Since BESAdmin is not a user on the server, when you connected the handheld to activate over the wire, the MAPI profile was pointing to the BESAdmin mailbox and therefore set up for redirector. When you connected to your desktop computer, I would almost be willing to bet that you have your mail delivered to a pst instead of staying in the mailbox, therefore the desktop manager set you up with the PST and redirector (it won't actually work, but will configure itself). The reason i say this is because you only had cmime and cical service books after another wired activation.

Moral of that bit? Don't install desktop manager in BES mode on the server if you are going to connect handhelds directly to it. that way they don't activate with the BESAdmin MAPI profile.

Zro
Old 01-24-2007, 05:03 AM   #13
Dookie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mo

What i've encountered was that some devices were Enterprise version and some Company or whatsoever version. The company ones were unable to activate and they failed with sending and so on. I don't think that this is the case, but just let you know
Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 AM   #14
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

That would be the Enterprise/Prosumer services. In order to be on a BES, you have to have BlackBerry Enterprise Services provisioned by the wireless provider. Some wireless providers charge more for the Enterprise services.

Zro
Old 01-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #15
h1st0ry

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1st0ry
I have 2 new pearl devices that appear to be having the same problem, and I am using T-Mobile as a carrier also. I will check with the carrier to make sure everything is setup correctly, and if it isn't I will post exactly what service wasn't setup so everyone knows what to look for if this happens to them.
The above problem occurred, because the wrong services were provisioned by T-Mobile. We called T-Mobile 2 different times to confirm the BES service was provisioned, and they incorrectly confirmed it was (the BIS service was actually setup not the BES service). As many of you know, when the BES service isn't setup corrrectly, the wireless activation icon from a BlackBerry device disappears once you turn on the device's radio. It is a tell tale sign that BES hasn't been provisioned correctly.
Closed Thread