Old 01-01-2006, 07:58 AM   #21
Dusty Saddle
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-TX
I have downloaded the Minisafe program. I have successfully installed the Desktop version on my PC. However, when I go to the BB application loader in my Blackberry manager, it will not let me select the Minisafe application to install on my BB.
Anyone got a tip for me?
Aafter loading the MiniSafe Desktop version, did you Add the "minisafe_bb.alx" file to the Application Loader?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #22
simprit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Starhub

Jerry-TX,

Please give us more info (such as message prompted by Application Loader), so that we are able to troubleshoot your problem.

Visit the following website for common troubleshooting guide:
http://www.simprit.com/minisafe_bb/support_faq.html

You can also install MiniSafe for BlackBerry Over The Air (OTA). This is more easy to get MiniSafe for BlackBerry installed. See the following instructions:
- Use your WAP browser (for BlackBerry) to access the following link:
http://www.simprit.com/wap.wml
- Select MiniSafe (RIM BlackBerry) and follow the instructions to install the software on your handheld.

All,

Check out Advanced Description Filtering (as well as Type and Category Filtering). Advanced Description Filtering is very handy especially when your data set is big. We believe that you will like the features as much as we do.

FYI, we will increase number of customizable fields in the next release. Thank you for your feedback!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #23
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default Both are great

You can now find commentary on them from my tips page linked in my signature.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:22 PM   #24
AL904

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Both CryptMagic and Minisafe advertise the ability to import data from eWallet. Does either (or both) allow direct import from eWallet files to their data file through their desktop clients? Or, do you have to do an export from within eWallet to a .txt, .csv, or some other format file, and then import from that file into the desktop client? The ability to peform a direct import would be a big plus for me.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #25
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Default Cryptmagic instructions

9.) Import data
Importing will wipe out your existing CryptMagic data on your BlackBerry and reset
the password for CryptMagic to “import” on the BlackBerry.
Currently we’re supporting following sources for import:
- eWallet (from Ilium Software) TXT export file
- SplashID (from SplashData) unencrypted VID file
- SplashID (from SplashData) CSV export file
- CSV generated by our CryptMagic_ImportData.xls excel sheet
9.1) Importing from E-Wallet
eWallet users should export from eWallet and generate a .txt file (should be similar to
the EWalletSampleFile.txt file installed in your CryptMagic Desktop folder).
I. Activate the Import Add-in only (see the picture below).
II. Start Sync (see the picture below)
III. Change the extension mask to “*.txt” (so that our add-in could recognize your
eWallet file) and select your import file.
IV. The progress bar is moving while importing your data (please be patient,
importing hundreds of entries will take some minutes and sometimes the
progress bar seems to stop)
V. At the end of the import process, you should see “Import was successful” dialog
VI. Start CryptMagic on your BlackBerry with “import” as password – now you
should see your imported data
VII. Change your password (from menu, select “Options”, highlight “Password”, click
the wheel and select “Change Password”), confirm your new password and wait
for the conversion to finish
VIII. Close CryptMagic on your BlackBerry
IX. Start CryptMagic Desktop
X. Change the password to the same as you set it in CryptMagic for BlackBerry
XI. Close CryptMagic Desktop
XII. Disable “Import Add-in” and enable “Desktop Synchronize Add-in”
XIII. Start Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL904
Both CryptMagic and Minisafe advertise the ability to import data from eWallet. Does either (or both) allow direct import from eWallet files to their data file through their desktop clients? Or, do you have to do an export from within eWallet to a .txt, .csv, or some other format file, and then import from that file into the desktop client? The ability to peform a direct import would be a big plus for me.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #26
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Default Minisafe has a desktop wizzard and

I have not used it but it's there.

Cryptmagic claims their process protects your data more in the conversion process from steps that might leave it exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL904
Old 03-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #27
AL904

Stinsonddog wrote
Quote:
Cryptmagic instructions
Thanks, Stinsonddog,

That wouldn't be a problem for a one-time conversion. However, I would like to continue to use eWallet for my desktop/Pocket PC secure information database. What I had hoped to do, was keep a copy of that database on my Blackberry as well because I have my Blackberry with me nearly all the time. (My Pocket PC is usually in my briefcase or in my car.) I would like to perform a periodic update of the Blackberry database from my desktop to keep all three (PC, PPC, & Blackberry) secure-databases synchronized.

Is import into Minisafe any easier?

I guess, what I really want is a Blackberry client for eWallet. (Illium says they "may consider creating one in the future.")

Old 03-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #28
simprit
Thumbs Must Hurt

AL904,

eWallet database is a proprietary format, so we are not able to support direct import of eWallet database.

MiniSafe Desktop supports import of eWallet TXT export file only. eWallet TXT file is a free text file format and its format may be different in different version of eWallet. Therefore we support eWallet version 4.x TXT export file only as of now.

Note that you may perform import multiple times. However, it is difficult to get your data synchronized this way.

Check out MiniSafe software and download your free trial software at:
http://www.simprit.com/minisafe_bb/
Old 03-07-2006, 07:29 AM   #29
AL904

Thanks, simprit! I may give it a shot, or I might wait for Illium to come out with a Blackberry version.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #30
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

So which of these products does the best EXPORT itself? Each may be the flavour of the month, but if/when I want to migrate FROM one of these products, how do I get at my data without re-keying it all?

W

Last edited by wibbly; 03-10-2006 at 05:20 PM..
Old 03-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #31
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Minisafe is purported to do a csv export. Can anyone with Cryptmagic tell me if that has an export function, please?

W
Old 03-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #32
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

They do a txt export and they have an ewallet example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly
Minisafe is purported to do a csv export. Can anyone with Cryptmagic tell me if that has an export function, please?

W
Old 03-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #33
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel
cryptmagic is far more superior to mini safe.

cryptmagic allows for 10 fields, completely customizable templates as well as different views (the tree view is the one i use)

most flexible in my opinion then minisafe
I agree. I trialed CryptMagic for about 3 days, then had to buy it. Good stuff. Love the desktop companion, the ability to create new templates, new fields, and customize it for my purposes. I also dig the tree view.

Very nice app!
Old 03-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #34
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

I had some stability issues with Cryptmagic (can get the destop client to crash on closing when not giving it a file to open) and my import attempt of a CSV file just created corrupt data in CryptMagic on the BB, rather than saying the import failed/couldn't be done. I didn't follow the import process above properly but my experience of the result makes me fear the 'logic' in the product hasn't been quite sorted yet. And that makes me worry a bit about how robust the core functionality (of protecting my data) might be

Minisafe seems more robust, but the UI on the BB isn't as good IMHO, and it seems slower on the BB than CryptMagic.

So I actually want the CryptMagic UI and the Minisafe engine (even if it is a little slower). Doh!

Not sure which I'll go for at the moment. I wish the CryptMagic trial was longer

W

Last edited by wibbly; 03-25-2006 at 05:49 PM..
Old 03-25-2006, 03:31 PM   #35
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Are you sure you have the latest version? I have had no issues. Why is there no file to open. Did you delete the sample file. Read my comparison page carefully for some of the discussion on security. Also if you don't follow the instructions what might you expect?

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly
I had some stability issues with Cryptmagic (can get the destop client to crash on closing when not giving it a file to open) and my import attempt of a CSV file just created corrupt data in CryptMagic on the BB, rather than saying the import failed/coun't be done. I didn't follow the import process above properly but my experience of the result makes me fear the 'logic' in the product hasn't been quite sorted yet. And that makes me worry a bit about how robust the core functionality (of protecting my data) might be

Minisafe seems more robust, but the UI on the BB isn't as good IMHO, and it seems slower on the BB than CryptMagic.

So I actually want the CryptMagic UI and the Minisafe engine (even if it is a little slower). Doh!

Not sure which I'll go for at the moment. I wish the CryptMagic trial was longer

W
Old 03-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #36
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Yes, latest trial download. If I don't follow the instructions, I expect it not to work (ok), but I don't expect it to crash (not ok). I was just using it, not *trying* to break it...

After the import failed I deleted everything on the BB and re-synced. I then deleted the synced/corrupted copy on the PC (xml) and, as I had a backup of my old database (xml) file, I decided to open that to restore things to the state they were before the import. I was messing with the File Open dialogue and decided one time to cancel the operation. Instead of closing the app (as the dialogue I then got suggested would happen) it just crashed.

This isn't perhaps a normal usage model, I'd agree. But clearly it's broken/not tested as well as it might have been, and I wasn't trying to 'hack' the product in any way. Hence my worries above - i.e. if this has been missed, might other unexpected use leave my sensitive data exposed? I think that's a legitimate worry IF the testing has indeed been a bit sloppy (were the results of that final dialogue coming up EVER tested, I wonder, or maybe it's just my installation? What else has never been tested?, etc, etc)

As you say, I have a choice of products (and may end up with CryptMagic anyway!). No product is 100% bug free, but are bugs like the one I got reasonable to expect, is my point?

W

Last edited by wibbly; 03-25-2006 at 05:52 PM..
Old 03-25-2006, 06:07 PM   #37
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

I'm currently using the open source Keepass

http://keepass.sourceforge.net/features.php

Unfortunately there's little prospect so far of a BB version, and it doesn't offer features such as field customisation. However its authors do seem to have thought very carefully about security on the PC end, with features such as:

In-memory passwords protection: your passwords are encrypted while KeePass is running, so even if Windows caches the KeePass process to disk, this wouldn't reveal your passwords anyway.
Security-enhanced password edit controls: KeePass is the first password safe that has security-enhanced password edit controls. None of the available password edit control spies work against the controls used in KeePass. The passwords entered in those controls aren't even visible in the process memory of KeePass.
Timed clipboard clearing: KeePass can clear the clipboard automatically some time after you've copied one of your passwords into it.
Protection against clipboard monitors: other applications won't get notifications that the clipboard content has been changed.
Paste-once functionality: allow only one paste operation, after pasting the clipboard is cleared automatically by KeePass.

Do either CryptMagic or MiniClip claim these kind of features for their PC clients? Such features would make me more comfortable... as would the PC client side being open source...

W
Old 04-13-2006, 10:41 AM   #38
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I've been using Minisafe for several months now and am very satsfied with it. Although I have seen some issues with reliability in some respects.

Although simprit doesn't officially list the 8700 as a compatible device, I've had no problems. Same performance as on my 7290.

I have seen some duplicate entries popping up. THis is completely random but has happened a few times now so I know it wasn't me accidentally duplicating the entry. Perhaps this is a known bug? Or an unknown one.

I have also seen entries disappear on sync. On one occasion this actually proved to be a problem for me. And it has now made me a little paranoid that I am going to loose entries so I back up my minisafe to a text file quite often just to be sure I'm not losing anything.

Also, the desktop version NEVER locks itself despite being set to lock after 2 minutes. It used to secure on its own. now I can leave it running for days and it'll never lock again. The self-securing function on the rim is flawless, however- and frankly that's what's important.

Other than the two bugs, which I hope are known and will be addressed in future releases, I really like minisafe. And the email reponse from their support is quite fast. I had to get new keys for two pin changes and in both cases, i got a response within hours of my request.

I love the customization of the default list view. The search function on the default screen is very useful. Customization of fields is great. THis is a really well designed and thought out program. Despite the smal issues above, I still prefer minisafe to the other apps available for the berry at this time. ALthough, I agree that it still falls short of the pocket PC apps that are available.

Looking forward to future versions. FYI I am using V. 1.5.0.141.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:53 AM   #39
simprit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi ShaneToronto,

Thank you for your comments.

Can you send more information about your problem to [email address]? so that we are able to look into the problem in more details. We had not received any bug report as you mentioned. If you are able to re-produce the problem you mentioned, we will get the problem solved asap.

DO NOT backup your security sensitive data to a text file. This is not secure. You can backup MiniSafe Deskop database file instead. MiniSafe Desktop database file is in encryption format, which is protected by your master password.

Default MiniSafe Desktop database file is located in "My Documents"\MiniSafe folder, file name is minisafe.msf. You can copy the file and rename it to minisafe-bak.msf. If you want to restore your data from backup, rename the minisafe-bak.msf file to minisafe.msf will do.

Hi all,

We will release a few new products in the following months. MiniSafe will also be improved and new features will be added. Thank you for your feedback.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #40
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

I'm thinking of 'circumming' to CryptMagic. Is any discount offered to forum members?

W
Closed Thread