emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Post BBFileScout (new developed application) [100% free]

Please Login to Remove!

BBFileScout
I would like to use the opportunity to present an application that I have written for the all BB with OS 4.3 or higher (sorry no support for 4.2.1 devices) [successfully tested (by other users and myself) with 8310, 8800, 8820, 9000 & 9500].

BBFileScout allows you to browse the file system of your BB - create directories, copy, move, rename or delete files. You can open all (by your Blackberry supported) media files. Furthermore BBFileScout allows you to open files (like ini, xml, etc.) as plain text, so you are able to mark, copy & paste text fragments of these files that normally can't be opened with your Blackberry. This can become very valuable when you receive eMail attachments that are not native supported by your Blackberry. More functionality (like copy & move of directories) is coming soon.

Please Note: Some (all?) BB devices have a root volume called 'system' - any files in this folder (and it's subfolders) might not be moved, deleted, renamed or copied - The problem is, that this error does not occur in the BB-Simulators - so it can be only debugged on a real device (which is some sort of though).

Of course I am looking desperately for feedback from other Blackberry Users (specially devices that I do not have tested) - your feedback is highly appreciated.

BBFileScout is free, nevertheless if you find the application useful day by day and you want that I am able to invest more of my time into the development of this application, then please be so kind and send me a little donation - details at the BBFileScout Homepage - TIA.

Features
What you can do with BBFileScout:
  • Browse over the file system of your BlackBerry device
  • Creating new directories
  • Copy files from one folder to another - to do so:
    1. select a file in any directory
    2. choose Copy File TO 'Stack' from the menu
    3. browse to the target folder
    4. select Copy File FROM 'Stack' from the menu.
  • Move files*
  • Renaming existing files*
  • Delete existing files [even ones that are preinstalled (like wallpapers or ringtones)]*
  • Opening Media-Files**:
    • Audio: W4A|MP3|WAV|AU3|MID|WMA
    • Video: MPEG|AVI|MP4|3GP
    • Image: JPG|PNG|GIF|TIFF|SVG
    • Office (requires installed "Office to go"): DOC|XLS|PPT
    • Other: TXT|HTML
  • Opening Files in a SimpleTextViewer:
    • You can open small files (smaller then 100KiB) in plain text mode - This enables you to open XML's, INI's or any kind of script files (or any other files) in your BlackBerry
    • Once the file is opened, you can mark/select text and copy it into the clipboard (to use it where ever you like or need it)
  • More to come...

* Please Note: deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk!
** Not all types might be supported by your device

Installation
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the BBFileScout Homepage

Additional Notes
  • Please Note: Some (all?) BB devices have a root volume called 'system' - any files in this folder (and it's subfolders) might not be moved, deleted, renamed or copied - The problem is, that this error does not occur in the BB-Simulators - so it can be only debugged on a real device (which is some sort of though).
  • Even if I own a Storm myself there is no TouchScreen support (yet) - but once there is a stable/complete version of BBFileScout there will be a Strom enhanced Version (if there are any).

Once again: Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk!

Looking forward for your comments
Matthias

Last edited by emacf1; 02-22-2009 at 05:33 PM..
Old 02-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

thanks for the info
Old 02-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Looks interesting

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Thumbs up

Looks like another great little app! A couple of suggestions:
  1. Please look into a way to display and manipulate "hidden" files.
  2. Please add PDF files to the files that can be launched from the app. There are several 3rd-party apps that allow a user to view PDF files on a BlackBerry (e.g., RepliGo Reader, Docs To Go Premium, and BeamReader).
Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 AM   #5
giorgosh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: WIND (Greece)

Looks cool ;) Nice one!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
emacf1

it's too bad, that's not possible any longer to edit own posts after a certain amount of time... so I can't change the initial post :-| and with that I have to do a complete new announcement
Old 02-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
emacf1

BBFileScout update to 0.3.3

What's new?
  • added the 8330 to the supported devices
  • Marking of encrypted media files [lock icon]*
  • Show hidden files & directories
  • Handling of BB-BuildIn files **

* these files should be still deletable! - Please Note: deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk!
** Some files on a Blackberry device are marked as "BuildIn" - unfortunately it's not possible for BBFileScout to delete this type of files.

Installation & Update

Additional Notes
Some files on a BB devices have some sort of DRM (DigitalRightsManagement). Cause of this it could be, that the files can not be copied, moved. BBFileScout will give you a warning information once you try to copy a file that have 'encrypted content' - BBFileScout will mark these files with a "lock" symbol. Additionally it could be the case, that even deleting of this content is not possible.

Once again: Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Matthias
Old 02-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Thumbs up

Thanks for turning this around so quickly! Might it be possible for you to "mark" hidden files using icon color, shading, or the like?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
Thanks for turning this around so quickly! Might it be possible for you to "mark" hidden files using icon color, shading, or the like?
They are marked - the name is dark grey instead of black...

I have to thank you - since I was not aware, that there are hidden files as well (that requires a special handling in the code)...
Old 02-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
emacf1

Quote:
A couple of suggestions:
  1. Please add PDF files to the files that can be launched from the app. There are several 3rd-party apps that allow a user to view PDF files on a BlackBerry (e.g., RepliGo Reader, Docs To Go Premium, and BeamReader).
The Problem here is quite simple: I do not have any of these apps you mention... So as long as there is nothing I could test & play around with it will be very difficult to support it [I have to admit that I was quite disappointed, that my brand new BB could not do such a simple task (while my 3 year old WindowsMobile device could do it right from scratch]... and furthermore the main reason why I write my own software for the BB is, that I do not like to spend money on tools and apps that would be more or less common sense.

So with other words I could only add PDD Support, if I would have a viewer on my device.

Matthias
Old 02-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacf1 View Post
They are marked - the name is dark grey instead of black...

I have to thank you - since I was not aware, that there are hidden files as well (that requires a special handling in the code)...
Thanks! I see that now (if I look closely, of course, with these old eyes ) -- might it be possible to make the hidden files a bit lighter grey (or another more distinctive color)?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
The Problem here is quite simple: I do not have any of these apps you mention... So as long as there is nothing I could test & play around with it will be very difficult to support it [I have to admit that I was quite disappointed, that my brand new BB could not do such a simple task (while my 3 year old WindowsMobile device could do it right from scratch]... and furthermore the main reason why I write my own software for the BB is, that I do not like to spend money on tools and apps that would be more or less common sense.

So with other words I could only add PDD Support, if I would have a viewer on my device.

Matthias
RepliGo Reader, my personal preference, offers a 10-day free trial [Cerience Corporation : RepliGo Reader System Requirements] as does BeamReader [Download - BeamReader]. You can activate the Documents To Go Premium 30-day free trial within the app itself (part of OS v4.5 and newer) that includes PDF To Go.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #13
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Getting a 907 Invalid COD, Unable to import ZIP file error when trying to download from the OTA link.

8900 with 4.6.1.144 on it.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #14
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTaX View Post
Getting a 907 Invalid COD, Unable to import ZIP file error when trying to download from the OTA link.
8900 with 4.6.1.144 on it.
well when OTA download of the JAD did not work, then download the ZIP with your PC and install the app via the BB-DestopManager (or javaloader.exe)
Old 02-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #15
emacf1

After a long break... here is an major update

BBFileScout update to 0.3.6

What's new?
  • faster reading of directories with large number of files (incl. Warning screen)
  • Opening custom registered files:
    • BBFileScout allows you to associate own file extensions with custom applications (like you might know it from other OS)
    • Simply enter the extension [without '.' (dot)] in the BBFileScout-Options
    • Once such an associations is configured (via BBFileScout options) you could open any file type with any application that you have registered*
  • Options:
    • Confirm Exit of BBFileScout
    • Confirm Delete of files & directories
    • Show hidden files & directories
    • Custom file associations

* The 3'rd party application itself have to support to be started with an file as additional command line parameter (this is quite usual in other OS's but I do not know much about 3'rd party Blackberry applications right now) - I have personally tested this with GPSLogger (and 'gpl' as custom file associations)

Installation & Update

Once again: Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Matthias
Old 02-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Talking

Custom registration of file extensions is an absolutely AWESOME enhancement!

FYI, I added RepliGo Reader to handle PDF files (FYI, it required a device reboot in order to activate this custom file association -- not an issue, but I wanted to pass on the info. ).
Old 02-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #17
emacf1

Quote:
Custom registration of file extensions is an absolutely AWESOME enhancement!

FYI, I added RepliGo Reader to handle PDF files (FYI, it required a device reboot in order to activate this custom file association -- not an issue, but I wanted to pass on the info. ).
but the extension registration of 'pdf' worked??? [can't believe that it can be that simple]

Last edited by emacf1; 02-28-2009 at 01:18 PM..
Old 02-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #18
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Talking

Quote:
but the extension registration of 'pdf' worked??? [can't believe that it can be that simple]
ABSOLUTELY!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #19
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Wow! I am installing it.

How about a warning if user is modifying or deleting potentially dangerous files? IE: system files that may brick OS.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #20
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite View Post
How about a warning if user is modifying or deleting potentially dangerous files? IE: system files that may brick OS.
Actually instead of showing a warning I would simply not permit to delete such a file... I mean it would not make sense for any kind of app to allow to delete files that will break the underlying OS...

but I haven't found and kind of documentation that would contain any information about such files... -> so actually I assume all files that are visible via the API are more or less harmless to the OS... some of these files are flagged as "build In" - BBFileScout will let you know, when you try to delete such a file. Also the copy & move of DRM Content will be quoted with a warning... so actually from my point of view there is not much warnings left that I can integrate... If you know more - then I would highly appreciate to learn...

But still - use the delete or move function at your own risk... I am not taking any responsibility (but the worse scenario I could think of right now, is that you might be forced to RESET your OS)

Matthias
Closed Thread