Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Bulkhead
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default 9000 and 5.0.0.314

Please Login to Remove!

I have been running the OS version noted above for about a week now and it has been fairly stable for me.

I did have my phone randomly reboot and as fate would have it, that happened immediately before I needed to get on an important conference call!

I also had a randomly occurring 507 error message with an option to reset, which I did. That happened a couple days ago and has not happened again.

I had the browser issue that others have noted, specifically that it was not installed initially. I followed the instructions found elsewhere on the board to reinstall it and that worked perfectly.

I also lost visual voicemail (vvm) and have not yet attempted to insert the needed cod's to make that work. I believe that as a result, I get txt messages instead and I suspect those are normally interpreted by the vvm application to appear as voicemail messages.

I've noticed that by default in OS 4.6 that a single press of my headset button would invoke the voice dailing feature. I've lost that functionality in 5.0, but have not taken the time to research it yet. I've not found the voice dailing to be accurate or useful in the past.

The other apps I use, which are few, all run fine. Among those that I run are google mail, google maps, miniSafe, Opera, WorldMate Live, gFlashPro and Xenozu.

I also did perform the memory format operation as noted elsewhere on the board to address the rebooting issue, and it seems to have worked as I haven't seen my phone go through those boot loops.

I also installed the latest version of BBM as, if I recall correctly, version 5.0 of it was not part of this OS. I could be mistaken on that though - can't remember.

All in all, the new OS is pretty with many minor interface enhancements. It did take me several hours to make the transition when factoring in backing up, installing new OS, formatting, and reinstalling applications.

Cheers,

Last edited by Bulkhead; 11-13-2009 at 02:31 PM..
Old 11-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Lineman73

Carrier: AT&T
Default Build a Better .314

I have had very few problems with .314 and have been running it for 3 weeks. Only had 6 or so reboots and each time I started browser after reboot it would give me a "radio not on" message", which I would acknowledge and restart browser and all would be fine. Nothing really but still a problem. I downloaded .348 and had a looping cycle and never got it to boot. (AT&T)
This morning I copied the radio file from .348 and pasted it to the radio file of .314. This is located in the UMTS folder where your Java files are located.
Reloaded .314 and and no more "radio not on" messages. Browser is still blazing fast and no reboots or any problems at all.
Ghostshell and PeterMac88 on Crackberry have tried this too with no problems.
This will also update your platform from 5.2.0.19 to 5.2.0.23

Last edited by Lineman73; 11-13-2009 at 03:37 PM..
Old 11-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineman73 View Post
I have had very few problems with .314 and have been running it for 3 weeks. Only had 6 or so reboots and each time I started browser after reboot it would give me a "radio not on" message", which I would acknowledge and restart browser and all would be fine. Nothing really but still a problem. I downloaded .348 and had a looping cycle and never got it to boot. (AT&T)
This morning I copied the radio file from .348 and pasted it to the radio file of .314. This is located in the UMTS folder where your Java files are located.
Reloaded .314 and and no more "radio not on" messages. Browser is still blazing fast and no reboots or any problems at all.
Ghostshell and PeterMac88 on Crackberry have tried this too with no problems.
This will also update your platform from 5.2.0.19 to 5.2.0.23
I AGREE MY 314 IS SO STABLE NOW THAT IT'S BEEN PROMOTED TO 315, but mine is still .19 cause I didn't move the radio file.

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 11-13-2009 at 05:25 PM..
Old 11-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
I AGREE MY 314 IS SO STABLE NOW THAT IT'S BEEN PROMOTED TO 315, but mine is still .19 cause I didn't move the radio file.
You have the .302 CAPS KEY locked cod running, I see!
Old 11-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Bulkhead

Carrier: ATT

I've had the Radio not on error message also and although I've just ignored it, I may make the effort to find it and replace mine with it.

Cheers,
Old 11-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
drazenhr

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VIPnet Croatia
Default Minor issues

Had 314 for a week now, and few things are bugging me-cannot add pause when inputting a new contact (nonoh service), and sms delivery status is not shown (small sim card icon).
Rest is much welcomed improvement.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: T of Ale, Please!
Default All I want is my BBMaps <i>and</i> multiple email accounts

Yeah, I also lost my Visual Voice Mail, with .314. I called the AppleT&T help desk and they tried to fix it, to no avail, but I didn't really tell them that I was on .314 (cuz' it's not official). I thought they could somehow fix it. Finally, their suggestion was to install their latest official version (a downgrade for me - they thought it was an upgrade). Haha.

I did the downgrade, just for grins; I thought it might put the VVM stuff back on and then it might stay on after I put .314 back on. No dice. That's okay, I don't get many voicemails anyway. People usually know that I have caller ID and will call them back.

Here is what I hate, though - being so close to having BlackBerry Maps again, and then losing it! By this, I mean, when you do the browser fix with CrackUtil, it gives you back the BlackBerry Maps icon, and it works. Whoo hoo!

But the problem is that you lose your multiple email accounts when you do this. You cannot send an email from, say, email account #2. It reverts back to having only one email account, and for me, that ends up being my goofy work account, not even my att.blackberry.net account. Go figure.

So for example, when I do the crack (and I know this, because I have done this several times) I go into BlackBerry Maps and it is great, then I try to send an email, which works, but it defaults to the desktop email account (the one that is on my PC, that has Desktop Manager). See, I am not on a BES, I am on a BIS, but I use the Desktop Redirector program to send my work email to my Bold.

So I will send an email from my Bold to another email account, and it has [email address] <-not my real email address, as the sender. WTF? If it would just stick in michael...@att.blackberry.net as the sender, I would live with it, just to keep my BlackBerry Maps!

But no, I don't want all my email going through my work account, and then redirecting to my Bold from there. That would be silly.

So the only way I know to fix it, is to send service books, and as soon as I do this, I lose BlackBerry Maps, but I get my multiple email accounts back.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Here is a thought - I wonder if this would work:
1. Redo the BlackBerry Maps crack, to get BBMaps going again.
2. Add my email accounts back on the device, using the email setup program, (that is, without doing them on the AT&T BIS webpage).
3. Don't send service books.

Seems like the only thing I lose is my extra email acounts, so I might be able to get them right back on the device without sending service books. That's worth a try.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, that seems to work. I removed my email addresses from the device, and then re-entered them on the device. So they are stored on the device, and not just the AT&T BIS webpage. And I still have BlackBerry Maps, for now.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
JEEPers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22C60153

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
Yeah, I also lost my Visual Voice Mail, with .314. I called the AppleT&T help desk and they tried to fix it, to no avail, but I didn't really tell them that I was on .314 (cuz' it's not official). I thought they could somehow fix it. Finally, their suggestion was to install their latest official version (a downgrade for me - they thought it was an upgrade). Haha.

I did the downgrade, just for grins; I thought it might put the VVM stuff back on and then it might stay on after I put .314 back on. No dice. That's okay, I don't get many voicemails anyway. People usually know that I have caller ID and will call them back.

Here is what I hate, though - being so close to having BlackBerry Maps again, and then losing it! By this, I mean, when you do the browser fix with CrackUtil, it gives you back the BlackBerry Maps icon, and it works. Whoo hoo!

But the problem is that you lose your multiple email accounts when you do this. You cannot send an email from, say, email account #2. It reverts back to having only one email account, and for me, that ends up being my goofy work account, not even my att.blackberry.net account. Go figure.

So for example, when I do the crack (and I know this, because I have done this several times) I go into BlackBerry Maps and it is great, then I try to send an email, which works, but it defaults to the desktop email account (the one that is on my PC, that has Desktop Manager). See, I am not on a BES, I am on a BIS, but I use the Desktop Redirector program to send my work email to my Bold.

So I will send an email from my Bold to another email account, and it has [email address] <-not my real email address, as the sender. WTF? If it would just stick in michael...@att.blackberry.net as the sender, I would live with it, just to keep my BlackBerry Maps!

But no, I don't want all my email going through my work account, and then redirecting to my Bold from there. That would be silly.

So the only way I know to fix it, is to send service books, and as soon as I do this, I lose BlackBerry Maps, but I get my multiple email accounts back.

Check you Default Services to make sure it is not set to your work email. I had this happen to me too. Also with regards to VVM not working on .314, the actual VVM alx file is empty and the VVM cod files are missing. I just pulled it from another version and installed the cod files in the Java folder and the VVM alx file in the correct folder and reinstalled them from the desktop manager.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

NONE of the 5.0 betas have been stable for me. the reboots were constant, and even with several suggestions from members of the forum, it still didn't help.

even though i have deleted the vendor files, (albeit i know that when it's a beta it doesn't matter?) it still won't work properly for me.

maybe it's a stupid question but would it be possible that its not compatible with the vodafone IN network? or does it not matter what network i'm on?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
wojtas25

Model: Bold
Carrier: Orange PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDudette View Post
maybe it's a stupid question but would it be possible that its not compatible with the vodafone IN network? or does it not matter what network i'm on?
That does'nt matter what network, just delete vendor.xml Also, did you try OS 5.0.0.238? Its not so fast as *.314 or *.348 but its verry stable version, i have not any problems. No reboots like on *.314
Old 11-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
poolbizz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: q30
PIN: g
Carrier: metro pcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDudette View Post
NONE of the 5.0 betas have been stable for me. the reboots were constant, and even with several suggestions from members of the forum, it still didn't help.

even though i have deleted the vendor files, (albeit i know that when it's a beta it doesn't matter?) it still won't work properly for me.

I'm with att 5.0.0.314 works great no reboots, I installed 348 and reboots were constant. So networks do matter.
Try and download from a different location ... or maybe you should go with 5.0.0.348 , reboots are only with att...
Old 11-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolbizz View Post
I'm with att 5.0.0.314 works great no reboots, I installed 348 and reboots were constant. So networks do matter.
Try and download from a different location ... or maybe you should go with 5.0.0.348 , reboots are only with att...
Yep i read that the reboots were with only ATT. i'm still hesitant though, my theme also went a bit funky after i got 5.0.

Uhm plus weatherbug didn't seem to like my upgrade either. :(.

I might give .348 a go. thanks a lot guys! x
Closed Thread