Old 08-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #21
Steve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
I would expected that we will be able to do Wireless Bypass, at least with BES, over WiFi which would help to minimize the data usage with your carrier.
Wouldn't it be annoying if WiFi was for BES access only? I hope BIS users aren't cut-off in anyway.

I'm able to sync with BT at home now. So, other than browsing and grabbing e-mail, and possibly syncing, what other advantages would full access gain us? Remote access to desktops?

I'd rather use my carrier's unlimited data plan at work than have IT charge-back my department for internet usage. Their overage warning e-mails are annoying.

Steve
Old 08-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #22
Lurs
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130
Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Wouldn't it be annoying if WiFi was for BES access only?
I was thinking the same thing, but for some reason I doubt that.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #23
kwang98131

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

so the 8800 is gona be liek an 8100 but with wifi and no camera? any description of this device BG or pix?

now you got me thinking about waiting even longer to get a BB lol. nah ill prob get the 8100 and play with that for a bit.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:39 PM   #24
Stewie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

I would have to say that WiFi plays into T-Mobile's business model the best. I can see them creating a new BIS plan that has unlimited access to their Hot Spots. This alone would be a good reason to make T-Mobile the launch provider for the 8800. Another reason to have WiFi is streaming video (one way video conferencing, you can see them but they can only hear you) and a way to offer speedy data connections until T-Mobile can get a solid 3G solution in place.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #25
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie
I would have to say that WiFi plays into T-Mobile's business model the best. I can see them creating a new BIS plan that has unlimited access to their Hot Spots. This alone would be a good reason to make T-Mobile the launch provider for the 8800. Another reason to have WiFi is streaming video (one way video conferencing, you can see them but they can only hear you) and a way to offer speedy data connections until T-Mobile can get a solid 3G solution in place.

I agree with this very much. TM would be a much better launch choice with wifi.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:17 AM   #26
Postalrecon

Model: N80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
So until then, buy a Canon, and get a BB with WiFi!
Amen to that, canon is the best

http://xninjax.vox.com/
Old 08-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #27
kwang98131

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postalrecon
Amen to that, canon is the best
what about sony with its zeiss lens?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:48 AM   #28
strobate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yea, Cingular's not gonna be too down with WiFi and VZW would almost certainly cripple it. Tmo, maybe with a $10 up on BlackBerry w/ HotSpot plans.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #29
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

BG: Your in the line of fire now (note the globe and mail article profiling BoyGenius's leaks to Engadget) and i'm sure you know it.. (rim would be after ANYONE that leaks their info)

Fear the wrath of Rim is all i have to say.. and good luck.

Thanks for sharing.. (someone had to do it, and if you didn't , it would have been someone else!)

Good luck.. fear the wrath of RIM!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #30
xxhiyanxx

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

i dont' get people that always say "buy a camera" do you carry your 400 dollar camera everywhere you go?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #31
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhiyanxx
i dont' get people that always say "buy a camera" do you carry your 400 dollar camera everywhere you go?
My camera cost $1500 and i carry it around everywhere I go (in my bag). As a photographer you never know when you will use it. It's the moment that matters, and in an instant, that moment, and your opportunity could dissapear.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:52 AM   #32
mobilecontrol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtailgrep
BG: Your in the line of fire now (note the globe and mail article profiling BoyGenius's leaks to Engadget) and i'm sure you know it.. (rim would be after ANYONE that leaks their info)

Fear the wrath of Rim is all i have to say.. and good luck.

Thanks for sharing.. (someone had to do it, and if you didn't , it would have been someone else!)

Good luck.. fear the wrath of RIM!
He's not the only one in the entire world leaking information on future devices for any company...there are thousands of technology-based blog websites leaking information daily. And, you're right, if he isn't doing it...someone will come right along and take his place in doing the same.

T-Mobile:

- 8100 (rockin' the demo!), 8700g, 7100t, 6230
Old 08-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #33
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhiyanxx
No, but I do actually care about the quality of the photos I take. PDA camera pics suck, no way around it. I have used those before, and all the pics were terrible - nothing worth keeping - so what's the use? If all you want is crappy pics to send as MMSs or something, then fine, but for any pics you intend to keep, no way.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:52 PM   #34
jbibbs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
PIN: 400BD897
Carrier: Nextel

Guess I'll get the 8100 now and when the 8800 comes out next year I'll pick it up also...
Old 08-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #35
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309

I'm wondering if BG has any info on the cost of this one yet, or if it's still way too early to determine. Far more excited for this one over the 8100. I said it earlier in this thread but WIFI!!! That and because it's almost certain this will be on Cingular and I won't have to pay to get it unlocked...
Old 08-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #36
strobate
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm not sure you should be "almost certain this will be on Cingular."
Old 08-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #37
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobate
I'm not sure you should be "almost certain this will be on Cingular."
Okay, well you don't have to be but I am. TMO gets the 8100 first therefore it is more likely than not that Cingular will get the 8800 first (in the US that is). I highly doubt TMO will get exclusive to both new models and who else is going to pick it up then? Sprint/Nextell? Please. Verizon? They're too busy with their Qs and Treos.

All signs point to Cingular.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:21 PM   #38
cschrage

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMO

I currently have and 8700...great device.

What I really want - TMO to come out with a 8700 like device with solid UMTS/HSPDA coverage. I want to drop my home cable modem and have a device I can Tether...EDGE is really not cutting it for me.

I will say that even though I dislike SureType keyboards, when released, I will be picking up a Samsung SGH-T719...just for it's size.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:21 PM   #39
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

who's gotten what first or most recently doens't necessarily mean anything. If Sprint/Nextel is willing to put up the cash to make it more worth while for a handset manufacturer to put out the handset on their network first, then that's the first network it will go for.

Seeing as how there's more GSM providers, this opens up a bigger "Bidding" war...but which provider is more willing to pay? Is Cingular going to pay more because T-Mobile may be releasing something else first? or is T-Mobile going to pay more because it's already started a business model around WiFi? If the next handheld was to be UMTS, then I could see easier that Cingular would be more interested in this since it's going along with their business model and plans.

But that's just my $0.02 worth.

Zro
Old 08-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #40
strobate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Uh, yea. RIM doesn't decide to hand out devices exclusively to providers to be nice. And if RIM wanted its BB's WiFi to be used, Tmob is the only U.S. player with infrastructure.