Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #21
mistWalker
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webby
I have the same problem. I'm still trying to decide if I should get the Blackberry 8700G or the Sidekick 3.

I have the Sidekick2 and was so dissapointed with it that I switched the the Treo 650. i wanted Camera, video, mp3 all that stuff.

If I do get the 8700g, I'll still have my Treo 700p.

So what Should I do? 8700g or Sidekick 3?

I'm not a teenager though. I'm in my late 20's. :-D
If you were disappointed with the SK2, then you're going to be equally disappointed with the SK3. It offers evolutionary changes, but nothing revolutionary, making it essentially the same device in a slightly redesigned shell.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #22
aphr0deity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mo

Third party apps for the Sidekick? HA! Yes, but you have to pay a hefty fee, or get a "developer's license" to access all the 3rd party apps that haven't been approved by T-Mobile and download them... big pain, trust me.

The ONLY thing I missed about my SK2 was the keyboard and intuitiveness of the messenging service. Honestly though, Blackberries can also IM, plus we have Google Talk (although I'm happy T-Mo kept the MSN messenger on the new SK3), and we have a host of other customizable capabilities.

I agree; if you weren't happy with the SK2, don't get the SK3. Wait till they incorporate something REAL great... like video (maybe soon, I believe the SK3 is capable of it), a better resolutioned screen...

I do miss snapping random photos, but a music player on my cell phone is definitely not something I want, or need.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #23
HuwSy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

lil off topic but mistWalker whats your avatar from?

back to it, as said the sk2 an sk3 are esentially the same device with a few upgrades but the os is almost identical in them from what iv read.

Just wondering why you'd need both a treo and an 8700. I know there both different devices but there also both relatively big devices to carry round together.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:15 PM   #24
Webby
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuwSy
Just wondering why you'd need both a treo and an 8700. I know there both different devices but there also both relatively big devices to carry round together.
I want to try out the Blackberry 8700g to see how it is. I already had the SK2, so it's true, I might be disappointed with the SK3. I would switch devices now and then using the Treo one day and the Blackberry another. I wouldn't carry both at the same time though.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:34 AM   #25
johnarky

Carrier: tmobile

I'm not sure if people are still watching this thread, but since this was my exact dilemma about a week ago I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I was trying to decide for the last 2 months which phone to get, the SK3 or the 8700. I had the SK2 for just over a year and it was pretty reliable (it looks like a lot of others had trouble with it, but it always worked fine for me). After going to Tmo and trying out the SK3 and the 8700, the 8700 is definitely superior in almost every way except for 1. The SK keyboard is the best, hands down. The phone and mp3 player on it are worthless, so I won’t even consider those as "pros" against the 8700.

If text messaging and Instant Messaging are the absolute most important things for you, then the SK3 is probably the way to go.

Other than that, the 8700 is definitely better. Better E-mail, Better Applications, Better 3rd party apps, WAY Better Screen, Better Web Browser (handles content better and is way faster) and last but not least: it's not anywhere near as awkward to carry around in your pocket.

I obviously didn't address everything here as everyone else in this thread covered a lot. But I hope this helps anyone who's on the fence.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:46 AM   #26
K-Mack
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

For those looking for a device with a lot of bells and whistles, you will most likely be dissapointed with a Blackberry, that's just not what a BB is all about.
If you tend to like the novelty phones with camera's and MP3 players built in, the sidekick is probably what you want.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #27
CrackBerry NYC

Model: 8300
Carrier: t-mobile

at 17 tears old, I would suggest you get a sidekick. U couldn't possibly need a blackberry for any business. But i am just assuming. The blackberry is a business tool. anyone that would even ask if they should get a blackberry or a sk3 is just getting the phone to be able to text message and email their buddies. anyone who asks should get a sk3
Old 07-09-2006, 12:35 AM   #28
johnarky

Carrier: tmobile

Well, I'm glad I didn't ask any of you when I was trying to decide between the 8700 and the SK3.

I don't think the 8700 is just a business tool and the Sidekick is just a toy. It all depends on how you use them.

The camera and mp3 player are both very dissapointing on the sidekick. But if you "need" those things (for whatever reason) then the sidekick is the way to go.

Other than that, I think the 8700 takes the sidekick any day of the week.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:56 AM   #29
jdjleo

Carrier: at&t

SideKick = Emo

Emo = well...you know...=P
The New at&t
Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #30
robert14

Model: 8700

Keep the BB. I am a T-Mobile user with an MDA. It has a video camera, camera, touch screen and many other options. I've had it almost 1 year and am going back to the BB8700G
Old 07-13-2006, 02:15 AM   #31
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Smile Blackberry

dont get the sidekick III its a shi# brick my little cousin used my blackberry who is 15 years old to chat with her friends using the ramble software(aka)aim and then just got her sidekick III she sold it on e bay 3 days later because she liked the screen on the blackberry and how the e mail comes fast and she never had to reboot the phone. once she sold it she made me go get her a blackberry. damn kids starting young on this crack lol. like alot of people said what do you really want it for the BB is secur (wont find sex pics on internet or all your friends numbers ) it is professional sleek no crashing and to be honest its the perfect tool you wont go to a computer ever once you get a BB and you will be able to read all e mails and download files and view them no silly format not supported.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:07 AM   #32
jdjleo

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERK350Z
dont get the sidekick III its a shi# brick my little cousin used my blackberry who is 15 years old to chat with her friends using the ramble software(aka)aim and then just got her sidekick III she sold it on e bay 3 days later because she liked the screen on the blackberry and how the e mail comes fast and she never had to reboot the phone. once she sold it she made me go get her a blackberry. damn kids starting young on this crack lol. like alot of people said what do you really want it for the BB is secure(wont find sex pics on internet or all your friends numbers ) it is professional sleek no crashing and to be honest its the perfect tool you wont go to a computer ever once you get a BB and you will be able to read all e mails and download files and view them no silly format not supported.
Hmmm perhaps i missed installing the "Family Values" application when i updated my o/s.....mine can find seXy pix just fine! =P
The New at&t
Old 07-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #33
spikeum

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnarky
Well, I'm glad I didn't ask any of you when I was trying to decide between the 8700 and the SK3.

I don't think the 8700 is just a business tool and the Sidekick is just a toy. It all depends on how you use them.

The camera and mp3 player are both very dissapointing on the sidekick. But if you "need" those things (for whatever reason) then the sidekick is the way to go.

Other than that, I think the 8700 takes the sidekick any day of the week.
not to mention the sk3 64k color screen is from the sk2..... 256k colors on the 8700, opera mini browser, games, yahoo im download, badass.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:26 AM   #34
coopski

Model: 8320g
Default some more advice on this- sidekick or BB

i have just switched from a sk II (i had a sidekick I before that as well) my initial reservations on a BB were that it didnt sync very well with a mac- but pocketmac fixed that.

the pluses for a BB are

customizable font size- much easier to read than always squinting at tiny sk font

much better email functionality and interface including txting - everything in one place-much better work tool- better address book-

easier to operate with one hand-while on the move etc

nicer to use as phone

sync with computer much better & reliable (pocketmac for mac avail free)

minuses

instant messaging nowhere nearly as good- infact its dreadful

alerts on incoming messages etc while in other apps not as good

keyboard not as good

unlimited data plans DO NOT include txts or IM's (sidekick is included [except international txts]

overall Sidekick is cheaper (plans and purchase) but it looks and works like a toy

BB more sophisticated work tool

depends on your needs & wants. Sidekicks image is aimed at youth market who chat and txt-
BB is aimed at the worker who wants a mobile version of their computer's email software & address book.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #35
toastee

Model: Curve
Carrier: Cingular the Old ATT

Im searching for a new phone and was considering a 8700 or a SK3. Mainly because they have keyboards and I text alot.

Im considering adding the additional data plans later on because I dont browse or email that much but it sounds like once u get it, you'll wonder why you didnt have it in the first place. Because of that, is it easy to sync multiple email accounts (hotmail, and outlook?) And Tmobile offers the best rates.

But for now, which is an overall better phone? I havent played w. the sk3 in the store yet, only seen the dummy model. They seem pretty simular in size, but the screen of the 8700g is amazing! And Ive only played w. the blacberry for a few minutes. I dont quite understand the interface yet, so I guess ease of use would be important as well. I used to have a treo 600 but its outdated for me now.

Are there alot of additional programs to download? I know for the Treo, there were tons. If thats the case, are they easy to use and install, and are they even neccessary? The only other "smartphone" type of device ive used is the treo. Ive read some information on these forums about the 8700 and some of the programs and settings seem a bit confusing.

Pretty much my main concerns are phone quailty(using it as an everyday phone), reception, and overall ease of use.

Also is there any difference with the 8700c and 8700g (Im currently on Tmobile). Or is it just the branding?

Im currently using the Samsung T809 so I can switch back and forth when I dont feel like carrying something that bulky around.

As you can see Im new here, so any other feedback would be great
Old 07-17-2006, 10:01 PM   #36
cnicklo

Default Sidekick3 Reception - BEWARE

I've been a Sidekick user since the initial B&W model. I recently upgraded to the SK3 and returned it due to poor reception. My SK2 was marginal on reception already and the 3 was a step backward.

The 8700g is much, much better. I can hold a signal into the back of my house vs. just at the front, by a window, angled a certain way with the SK2.

I'm learning the 8700g a bit more each day. Its very powerful, but not as easily intuitive as the SK platform.

Chris
Old 08-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #37
Nkittles

Im not sure if you already purchased your choice or not, but if i were you I would go w/ the sidekick 3...

I bought it first and then gave it to my lil bro, which lead me into buying the 8700 for myself...

im 21 and im a profeesional and a student but the blackberry is way over my head...

The sidekick had more multimedia stuff and was way cooler...

the only good thing about the blackberry is im connected to work...

i could have done that on my laptop[!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #38
mextel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcasey212
HEY GUYS I CURRENTLY USE A 8700c, I'VE BEEN USING IT FOR SOMETIME NOW. I ENJOY THE PUSH EMAIL, AND THE INTERNET SPEED IS EXCEPTIONAL. BUT THE SIDEKICK 3 IS COMING OUT AND IT LOOKS WAY COOLER AND IT HAS AIM/YAHOO/MSN IM, A CAMERA, AND MP3.
I DUNNO MAYBE IT LOOKS SO COOL TO ME BECAUSE IM 17. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR HONEST OPINION. WHAT SHOULD I DO? STICK WITH MY BB OR GO GET A T-MO SK3??? THANKS FOR YOUR OPINIONS.
In my line of work I've had to work with almost every PDA known to man, from Treo, MDA, SDA, SK b&w-SK3, Nokia 9300, Blackberry's 6210-8700 and many others.. and I must say that the best results I have gotten were the BlackBerrys and the Pocket PC w/Linux. The Sk3 is a good data device if you really care for all that extra fun stuff, I personally don't but everybody likes different things. The Sk was great when it was the B&W version, because nobody knew what it was, and not everybody had it, so it worked better. Now that everyone has one, (at least in LA) it sucks more, and everyone here who has one is either famous or under 25.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #39
zero1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

I have both - in my opinion swapping sim cards from BB8700 to a device that has subpar camera, low volume mp3, unreliable email/network adherence, really sucks - i was going to keep the SK3 for the simple reason that it has all three in one - but ive opted to carry my 8700, ipod, and digital camera. Much rather do this than deal with the dissapointmnet that is the SK line
Old 08-07-2006, 11:19 PM   #40
flexichick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert14
Keep the BB. I am a T-Mobile user with an MDA. It has a video camera, camera, touch screen and many other options. I've had it almost 1 year and am going back to the BB8700G
I just got my first look at T-Mo's MDA tonight (friend had it at my house). I love my BB8700g, but wondering why you hated the MDA?