BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
jackarmy83

Model: 7290
Default Newbie to BES - Assistance required.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

As part of a review of our mobile phone deal, it is likely we may move from using internet mail with vodafone for our Blackberry email service to using a BES server instead.

We use Lotus Domino 6 for our email and I understand you need to install the BES software on a Domino Server. I am thinking about purchasing a cheap server that meets the minimum requirements and installing the domino server on there with the BES software.

Bearing in mind that I have no experience whatsoever in installing Domino. Will I need to modify Domino (on the new BES server not the exisitng email server) in any way? Can I just do a standard install of Domino and then change the BES install to my required settings?

Any more info, or a pointer in the right direction would be extremely helpful.

Regards.. Karl
Old 01-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Debau
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

The Domino install is a standard install. How you create the server id depends on how you are going to put this server in your network. Will this BES server be in the same domain as your mail server? If so, you will need to create the server id from your administration server for that domain. If it is going to be in another domain, you will install the domino server as a stand alone server and it will create the id when you install.

If it is in another domain, you will need connection docs, and other assundry items so that the two servers can communicate. I chose to put my BES in the same domain as my mail server to alleviate these headaches. To be honest I don't know what RIM recommends.

Installing the BES portion was standard for my company as well. It took little time and no customization on our part. And for us it has run well for over a year, with no issues.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Definitely buy another server to run BES on. Depending on how many users you plan to have and their mail volume minimum HW requirement may not be enough. Here's a link to a server capacity calculator.

Livelink - Redirection
Old 01-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
jackarmy83

Model: 7290

Thanks for your help guys. Appreciated.
Closed Thread