Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
sla07
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: tmobile
Default Verizon, TMobile, or Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

which of the 3 providers have the best BB connectivity? I have been reading around and it seems that Cingular's connectivity isn't as good as Tmobiles for example. But I can't find much regarding Verizon's Blackberry connectivity? Since Verizn uses CDMA, is there a difference with the connection that verizon BB's would have as opposed to the GSM BB's that cingular and tmobile have?
Old 04-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Those are three great competitors in the blackberry business at the moment and here are the differences as I understand them.

Cingular- Has better than average coverage as far as data services go. The unlimited data package is truly unlimited, although there has been issues with extra charges involving data appearing on customers bills. It is often remedied quickly, but is more aggrevating than anything. Cingular uses GSM which stands for Global Standard for Mobile Communication. It pretty much works in any country that has a tower and if you can manage to get it unlocked, it can be used with different providers. EDGE is the current speed of the newest Blackberry, 8700c. Soon to be released, UMTS and HSPDA.

T-Mobile- Great customer service and affordable rate plans. Cingular charges 44.99 for unlimited data. Unlimited data is also truly unlimited. Although they have decent coverage, there are still some states that dont have TMO stores yet. This is the one downfall in my opinion that TMO has. If they were to improve their coverage and store locations, they would become a dominating carrier.

Verizon- Great coverage and decent priced rateplans, although they do use CDMA. More and more carriers are using GSM now, so Verizon better get with the program. Unlocking a CDMA phone wouldnt get you very far either as most overseas providers use SIM cards.

There are plenty of other distinguishable facts between the carriers, but those seem to be the most noted.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
djeaton3162

Model: 7100g

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

A recent article in Consumer Reports listed city by city comparisons. Coverage and dropped calls differed by city.
Daniel
Crackberry Addict #202C237E
Google Talk: danieleaton
Old 04-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
djeaton3162

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

A recent article in Consumer Reports listed city by city comparisons. Coverage and dropped calls differed by city.
Daniel
Old 04-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
djeaton3162

Daniel
Old 04-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
sla07

Model: 7290
Carrier: tmobile

Cory,

Thanks for the great reply!! I have TMobile right now through my company and the biggest factor that has pushed me away from it is the phone reception in this area. That's why I asked the question. I am considering switching to Verizon and connecting my Verizon BB to the BES we have. I just want to make sure that I am not giving up too much on the data transfer rate when it comes to sending/receiving emails which is pretty much the only reason I use the BB for honestly.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Are you referring to speed or costs for data? For email, speed isn't much of an issue. Our GPRS Blackberries receive email just as fast as our EDGE Blackberries do. Browsing and internet apps like Google Local are an entirely different story when you're compaying GPRS to EDGE or EVDO. Costs are determined by your data plan.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

The emails should be received in equal times for GPRS and EDGE. However, as stated, there is a significant increase in speed when viewing internet pages. And in the future there will be UMTS and HSPDA, which will be much quicker.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:49 AM   #9
nyc2socal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Where are you located? I've always had good service/reception on Verizon. Cingular is spotty in SoCal. If you don't travel much, and Cingular has good coverage in your area, I'd go with Cingular for the 8700c.

Then reading your message again, you mentioned that you don't get very good reception with T-Mobile... T-Mobile is also GSM and shares roaming agreements with Cingular..

It doesn't hurt to give it a spin. Verizon has a 15 day trial period, while Cingular has, I believe, a 30 day.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #10
Blackcrack
No longer Registered.

Model: 7520

i agree
Old 04-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #11
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/wi...-jd-power.html

You may have to cut and paste the url.

Personally, I like GSM over CDMA. To my ear, it sounds better. T-Mobile in the NYC area was very good for me, I'd say a bit better than Cingular which I have now and T-Mobile is much less expensive.

Verizon is a very good deal too. You can get a BB + Voice bundle. You also can add teathering at EVDO speed for only $15/mo while Cingular charges $30 for EDGE (about 20% of the speed of EVDO) teathering. EVDO will fall back to slower data speeds when the service isn't available. Cingular SMS is also expensive.

The 8700c is a very good phone, much better than the older series. As nyc2socal pointed out, use the trial period and test the service. If teathering is important, I'd go with Verizon. Otherwise I'd go for Cingular or T-Mobile for the 8700c.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #12
MinnesotaGerbers

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Verizon Works Very Well

I've had the Verizon 7250 for 9 months now and the coverage has been outstanding, Verizon technology support has also been outstanding.

While I have never had the GSM device, the internet loading on the Verizon network has been just fine.

MnG
Old 04-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #13
radimus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

FWIW, this has been my experience. Around here, Verizon and Cingular have the best coverage. T-Mobile is quite good too, but like Corey said overall they're coverage is limited. With Verizon you need to read and understand EVERYTHING in the fine print, because they will use it against you, and in my experience won't back down when you complain because "you were informed". Very arrogant. I can't comment much on Cingular's customer service as nearly all of my Cingular service was under an enterprise-type account that someone else paid for. When you're a customer with lots of lines of service it changes things a bit. I can't complain about T-Mobile at all. Excellent service there. They might be a good fit if you can deal with their reduced service area.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #14
DooDooHead

Model: 7250

I'm in Orlando, Fl. Just switched from Nextel (what a relief) to Verizon--BB 7250.
Coverage is great. However, Cingular has the 8700 c, which I'm sure Verizon will have some version of eventually. Cingular also offers carrier based voice dialing, which is of utmost importance due to my time behind the wheel. I'm coming up on my 15 day trial period. Should I give Cingular a whirl?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:59 PM   #15
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by radimus
FWIW, this has been my experience. Around here, Verizon and Cingular have the best coverage. T-Mobile is quite good too, but like Corey said overall they're coverage is limited. With Verizon you need to read and understand EVERYTHING in the fine print, because they will use it against you, and in my experience won't back down when you complain because "you were informed". Very arrogant. I can't comment much on Cingular's customer service as nearly all of my Cingular service was under an enterprise-type account that someone else paid for. When you're a customer with lots of lines of service it changes things a bit. I can't complain about T-Mobile at all. Excellent service there. They might be a good fit if you can deal with their reduced service area.
you mention verizon and their fine print may i ask what your referring too?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:16 AM   #16
SMorganPhoto
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: 31C7D62A

Quote:
Originally Posted by radimus
Don't get me wrong, Verizon had great coverage when I was in the middle of the ocean (along with everywhere else). My gripe with Verizon was, I had an LG8100 with 750 anytime minutes and picture messaging (between Verizon users) and free nights and weekends, and I was paying $86.XX/month. I had the phone for 5 months and downloaded 2 ringers in that time. I have no clue why, and Verizon gave me the run around.

I have since switched to TMO with the Blackberry 7290 and soon to be 8700G. I have 600 anytime minutes, MMS, 1000 SMS, free nights and weekends, and Unlimited Blackberry. 99% I do not randomly receive a voicemail from a call that I never knew I got. and 99% of the time I have atleast a decent signal.

I am very happy with TMO in the Hampton Roads, VA area (757). And I get great signal on the base that I work at (unlike Verizon).

Feel free to add me to BB Messenger!
Old 04-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #17
Aguyindallas

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I use tmobile, and have for 2 years now. When I first got it, there were quite a but of issues regarding reliability. That period lasted about 6 months. Since then, things have been great. I live north of Dallas and can tell you that my moms verizon phone gets better coverage at my house than my tmobile berry does.

In my opinion, this is a very market specific question though.

Now - 8700G
Old 04-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #18
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Question for SMorganPhoto

In your post above, you stated, "Don't get me wrong, Verizon had great coverage when I was in the middle of the ocean (along with everywhere else)."

As a very happy Verizon Wireless customer myself, I was wondering just which ocean you were referring to? Or am I reading too much into your use of the word "middle".

Verizon Wireless indeed has outstanding coverage, but...
Old 04-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #19
paradisephoto
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

Verizon, period. Was a Cingular customer for 9 years, had to b**** my way out of my last contract due to increasingly decreasing coverage. Switched to Verizon in NO just before Katrina, it was the only thing working immediately thereafter. Moved to Boston, absolutely no issues. Yes, they can nail you with the fine print, but they are the most reliable network out there. At the end of the day, isn't that the whole purpose of a wireless service?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #20
Wnt2Prtct

Carrier: T-Mobile

TMobile BB user here...I have been with them for a year using the BB. First a 7230 and then a 7290. Always works flawlessly and T-Mobile is CHEAP (price). You really do get more. Ding ding ding ding ding!
Closed Thread