Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
WMurray
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default MDS/Sharepoint

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, I know this topic has been touched on before, but I've been unable to come up with a definitive answer. When you access an internal (sharepoint,etc.) site from the Blackberry Browser, is there a way to pass windows credentials to the site? Whenever I attempt to access our //companyweb site, I get the "Unsupported Authentication Scheme" error. I'm able to browse other sites on the LAN with no problem. Anyone have a work around for this? Can Sharepoint/IIS be configured to accept plain-text authentication?
Thanks
Will
Old 06-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
mikej5780
Thumbs Must Hurt

I was able to make it work on my 4.1 BES by turning on the "Support HTTP Authentication" feature for the connection service. Haven't tried on 4.0 or 3.6. Not sure how our Sharepoint is configured but I used to get that unsupported authentication scheme before I enabled this.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
WMurray

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej5780
I was able to make it work on my 4.1 BES by turning on the "Support HTTP Authentication" feature for the connection service. Haven't tried on 4.0 or 3.6. Not sure how our Sharepoint is configured but I used to get that unsupported authentication scheme before I enabled this.
I'll try that too. Since we're a smaller organization I opened the companyweb properties in the IIS manager and enabled plain text passwords. So far it seems to be working ok.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
shadrock

Model: 8700g
Talking Thanks!!

I just wanted to add that our company had an issue with this same subject, and changing the Http Authentication worked! I just wanted to write in to confirm the fix and say Thanks!!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
curve

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Support HTTP Authentication

Where do you go to turn on "Support HTTP Authentication"?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
danburyct

Carrier: t-mobile

Can anyone plz elaborate on from where can we turn on the "Support HTTP authentication" being discussed above? I am in a similar situation and need to use the corporate authetication for web pages from the intranet.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
Ugg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danburyct View Post
Can anyone plz elaborate on from where can we turn on the "Support HTTP authentication" being discussed above?
Here you go...
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...on-scheme.html
Old 11-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
danburyct

Carrier: t-mobile

Thanks Ugg......

In that case, how unsecured is the plain text password mode? If I keep the 'Integrated Windows authentication' checked along with the mentioned 'Basic authentication(clear text password)', does it form a secure enough communication?

Thanks again for the help
Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
Ugg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: O2

Well integrated windows authentication and plain text are alternatives - and I think (someone will I'm sure correct me if I'm wrong) that it'll try the most secure option first, but if that can't be suported by the client then it'll try the other one.

Above I was referring to the "05-17-2007, 07:48 PM" post in that thread (turning on Windows authentication support rather than using plain text) - apologies for not making it clear enough.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #10
Quitch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

Windows Authentication will use one of the Windows Authentication methods, be it LAN Manager, NTLM or NTLMv2, the option should specify. LAN Manager is deeply insecure and NTLM has known vulnerabilities, but NTLMv2 can be considered secure given a complex eight character password (the jump in time to crack between seven and eight characters is huge).

Basic will submit everything in the clear and should only be used in situations where the connection itself is encrypted.

Most applications will try the most secure method and work their way down the list, but not all applications do. Indeed, I believe one version of Internet Explorer tried Basic first.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
jskolm85
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I just enable the "Support HTTP authentication" and can now access our SharePoint site. My only issue now is that we use a lot of discussion boards on there and I can not access that information in the Mobile view. Anyone know how to enable that on a MOSS 2007 server?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
whickie

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Rogers
Default SharePoint on the BlackBerry

WICKSoft has a SharePoint solution for the BlackBerry that allows you to access everything in SharePoint (lists, contacts, calendars, documents) from your phone.

WICKSoft Mobile Documents for BlackBerry
Old 07-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
regnatarajan

Model: 8800
Carrier: Fido
Default Wss3

I found this thread while looking for a solution to this problem with Blackberry accessing a Sharepoint site. With Windows Sharepoint Services 3, it's easy to get past this error message if you're willing to allow plain text passwords.
  1. Load Sharepoint Central Administration.
  2. Go to Application Management | Authentication Providers
  3. Select the appropriate web application from the drop-down list at the top right (don't skip this step or it won't work).
  4. Click the authentication provider in use (probably Default).
  5. Under IIS Authentication Settings, put a tick in "Basic authentication (password is sent in clear text)".
  6. Save your changes and test.
Cheers,
Reg Natarajan
Old 12-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #14
Kul
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
Carrier: Vodafone (UK)

When you are required to enter the Login/password details, does this store these credentials on the device
Old 12-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #15
jskolm85
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

No, It will prompt you every time you go to that site. You can check the box to have it remember the username and domain, but not the password.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #16
Kul
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
Carrier: Vodafone (UK)

it seems to remember the username and domain for a day before it starts asking for it again. Is there a setting or change in the conf file I have to make fr this NOT to appear
Closed Thread