BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #21
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

You can sync with Bluetooth now on a PC. As for their plans on MAC support, I will ask but I wouldn't hold my breath.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #22
alann
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800

Thank you so much for getting back to us with this detailed update. My most concern is on the dust issue, I'm sure RIM will have this problem resolve but what about for those of us who bought the device before the fix? Is there some way that we can send it back to RIM for repair or will we become RIM's QC testers?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:22 PM   #23
jnelson2000
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Off the record, I would have to assume that RIM and Cingular would replace the device if it is found to be defective. It would be very easy for both companies to gather a list of buyers and then send out a letter with instructions for replacement.

All I might suggest is that you not worry about paying for a device with this problem. Both Cingular and RIM will make it right. It is their reputation and neither company will want to stick users with a less than quality product.

Once RIM finds the problem and corrects it through manufacturing, we will be notified with options. All I can tell you is that this is a high priority for both companies right now.

Also keep in mind that this is NOT only afected by Cingular's devices. Rogers has the same issue.

Again, this is only my opinion. In no way am I stating something that has been told to me by either company.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #24
jchanaga

Model: 9000
Carrier: At&t/Cingular
Default Thank you

John,

Thank you for your help in speaking for the forum users.

Sincerely,

Jaime
Old 12-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #25
MarkF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT

Thanks BarJohn, great feedback.

Here's something that has been driving our employees crazy since the first voice-enabled device was released: Can the phone function be exempted from the password requirement we enforce through IT Policy? It's irritating to have to enter a password to make a phone call.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:26 PM   #26
barjohn

MarkF, good point, I will pass the info on as I get another collection of inputs. I have already sent RIM a two pager today.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-07-2005, 06:07 PM   #27
positron

Model: 8700*

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/-1)

The 8700* units will most definatly not be UMTS compatible. UMTS is effectivly a high level frame work for a signalling methind known as Wide Band Code Division Multiple Access or WCDMA. The hardware required for the PHY layer (or air interface) for gprs / Wcdma is completly different. So unless you believe that rim will launch a software upgrade that will somehow change the RF related internals, don't hold your breath.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:36 PM   #28
barjohn

The chip set from Intel used in the 8700 supports this functionality in the hardware. This was confirmed by RIM and Cingular to me yesterday.

On a separate note, RIM has posted the following on Bluetooth compatibility. It will be updated as it has some shortcomings that I have communicated already to RIM management. However, it is a start!

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...?nodeid=858763

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #29
barjohn

I received a response back from RIM management on the individuals names that I sent in that had not heard from RIM nor recieved an 8700 after attending the launch event and they told me they are going through their lists and if they have not already been sent, ones will be sent post haste.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #30
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

barjohn, thanks for the report. Just to add, on the Cingular forum it is mentioned that the new BIS will be able to handle multiple reply addreses for people who have more than one email address in their acount. Basicaly if you have hotmail and web Outlook then when you reply you will have the choice to use the proper one. This will be very handy to control our emails and having incoming replies to go into the proper mail box.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:49 PM   #31
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by positron
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/-1)

The 8700* units will most definatly not be UMTS compatible. UMTS is effectivly a high level frame work for a signalling methind known as Wide Band Code Division Multiple Access or WCDMA. The hardware required for the PHY layer (or air interface) for gprs / Wcdma is completly different. So unless you believe that rim will launch a software upgrade that will somehow change the RF related internals, don't hold your breath.
That's false. The RF internals are ALREADY UMTS compatible. Many sources confirm this. Also even Intel's specification sheet of the Intel chip used inside the 8700. It's just a software upgrade.

Just look at the 7250 and EVDO -- the 7250 was 100% software upgradeable to EVDO a whopping nine months after the release of the 7250. Now Verizon users are able to use BroadbandAccess using the 7250 as a modem for their laptop, see the sticky in General.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 12-07-2005, 08:24 PM   #32
thholr

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I emailed Rich , the guy who wrote the press release about the cingular 3G launch and inquired about the ability and plans for the 8700 to be able to use HSDPA when it is released. He indicated in his short reply that it wont be till late next year till they have a blackberry with HSDPA and that the 8700c isnt capable of that and will require more than just a firmware upgrade.
I am still so torn as to whether to return my 8700 and just go back to my 7290. with the 8700 I am resigning up for 2 years which I am not sure is worth it if they cant tell me that the 8700 will support it for sure. Oh the decisions. I wish we could really get a more definite answer as to whether or not the 8700 will support it and what their plans for rollout are. On the other hand it could be 2 years before they have HSDPA wide spread enough for it to really matter. Hell it took them 2-3 years to get EDGE widly available.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #33
barjohn

I spoke with two senior executives at RIM and CIngular and I asked the specific question about HSDPA and was told the unit was hardware capable. They did not commit to providing the software or a timetable when it might happen. It really wasn't any different with the 7250 and EVDO. Everyone knew the chip set supported it but no one knew for sure when RIM and VZW would make it available. This chip set was selected because it offers a lot of advanced capability. Much more than the software can take advantage of today but a clear migration path for the future.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #34
MegaBit

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I'm curious to what people think the advantages of having HSDPA would be on a BlackBerry- aside from using it as a modem since the value of the unit is the unit itself. EDGE is pretty decent speed for the content usable on the BlackBerry, I think.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:15 PM   #35
phrider

Model: 9812
PIN: 6.02214179E23
Carrier: TMO US

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1khal
barjohn, thanks for the report. Just to add, on the Cingular forum it is mentioned that the new BIS will be able to handle multiple reply addreses for people who have more than one email address in their acount. Basicaly if you have hotmail and web Outlook then when you reply you will have the choice to use the proper one.
T-Mobile has implemented the new BIS. But it will only work with IMAP or POP3 emails systems. It will NOT work with Hotmail, but works instantly with Yahoo Mail (including storing saved items).
Old 12-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #36
barjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBit
I'm curious to what people think the advantages of having HSDPA would be on a BlackBerry- aside from using it as a modem since the value of the unit is the unit itself. EDGE is pretty decent speed for the content usable on the BlackBerry, I think.
I know in my own case the first thing would be the use as a modem without having to have another card and account to take care of and the second would be the faster browser experience.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-08-2005, 07:49 PM   #37
BitNetMonkey

Model: 8310

Its nice to see this much cooperation between a company and consumer. I have yet to get my 8700 (demand is overwhelming here locally), but I sure cant wait to get it. By far, I have spent more time over the last 2 weeks reading reviews about the device then doing my daily activities (including work :p). I greatly appreciate all the reviews and information that is in this community, plus the hard work put forth by the members. John, thanks for the post and up-to date information.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #38
CyberJack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT Wireless

JOHN:
I do not have an 8700, I just switched to Cingular and the 7290 from TMO and a 7100t. Cingular needs to get this BIS upgrade done! It is killing me now that I can not integrate a OWA account that uses Outlook 2003. This worked flawlessly on TMO. BES is not the answer as I have one Exchange account already using BES, and need BIS for the second account. Just keep planting this message in your correspondence please. Thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #39
barjohn

I spoke with RIM management about the Attendee units that fail. Anyone that has a bad unit needs to send me their contact information and I will pass it on to the right party at RIM. RIM will take care of any attendee defective units. I have requested permission to post the contact information and as soon as I get permission I will post it in this thread. In the meantime, PM me if you have a deffective unit with your contact info and I will send it in for you. I inquired about unlock codes for attendee units but do not have an answer for you yet.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #40
prubenstein

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular
Default Bluetooth and RIM Support

I thought I would add my experience with RIM and Cingular. I have had my 8700c for about 2 weeks now. It replaced my 7290. I have a 2003 BMW 330 i with the BMW Bluetooth unit dealer installed. It paired and worked flawlessly with my 7290 (except for the known incompatibility of not using the BB phone book). When I paired it with my 8300, it paired just fine then within a minute the BB spontaneously rebooted and continue to reboot every minute or so thereafter. I have a JABRA 250 headset which works just fine with the 8300.

I called Cingular and was quickly put through to RIM support. For the last week I have been working directly with RIM. They had me run a number of diagnostics and e-mail the log files directly to them. They have been unfailingly courteous, quick to answer the phone and responsive. Today they told me that they've been unable to replicate the problem on any of their units and wanted me to return my unit so that they could troubleshoot it directly. The person I was dealing with said he would contact Cingular while I stayed on the line to arrange for Cingular to send me out a new handheld.

I was put on hold and about 10 minutes later the RIM representative said that the first person he spoke with at Cingular told him that Cingular did not offer the 8700. He finally got through to someone in the right department and after another half-hour we finally got the exchange arranged and my new 8700 should be here sometime next week. Hopefully, my problem is unique to my specific unit.

I must say I have been very impressed with the level of both customer and technical support offered by RIM. My experiences with Cingular
are as always hit and miss. From call to call you just never know whether you will connect with someone who has the requisite knowledge to be of help. But it does seem as if they are trying to improve their customer relations.

I will provide an update as to how my new unit works in my BMW after I have had a chance to try it out.

I have found this group to be an incredibly valuable source of information and I hope to be able to participate when I think that I have something useful to add.
Closed Thread