Old 05-22-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
mc_76

Model: 7230
Carrier: telstra
Exclamation Allow outgoing call while locked

Please Login to Remove!

I have enabled the following policy on our BES 4.0 (exchange) Server:

Allow Outgoing Call When Locked = TRUE

We have 7230's and 7290's on V4.0 OS. This policy setting adds a new setting to Options -> Security: "Allow outgoing call while locked" which is set to No by default.

Even though the policy allows this, it still has to be enabled on the hadheld before it will work.

Also, the main reason we wanted this option is because our users often use their BB in the car. Having to put in the password to call is somewhat difficult while driving. We were lead to believe by our telco that we could simply press the phone button on top of the handheld device when it is locked, and we could place a call. However, when locked the Phone button does not function. You still need to push in the trackwheel, then you get an option to Place Call.

This is almost as manual as putting in the password. Does anyone know how to make the phone button active while the handset is locked? Is it even possible?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:50 PM   #2
mc_76

I spoke to the Blackberry helpdesk, and they said that the problem is "by design" and to keep looking for handheld updates that may fix this problem.

It is a shame that the phone button is disabled when the blackberry is locked.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
Torontocell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus

Unfortunately at this moment, you cannot make outgoing calls if the BB is locked. I doubt that they will fix that issue cause I think that lock acts like a "keypad" lock.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:26 AM   #4
mc_76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontocell
Unfortunately at this moment, you cannot make outgoing calls if the BB is locked. I doubt that they will fix that issue cause I think that lock acts like a "keypad" lock.
BES 4.0 with the correct policy settings (see my first post in this thread), does allow you to make a call while the blackberry is locked, however it only gives you limited fuctionality. It adds another option to the screen when you click the trackwheel: "Place Call"

If you select this option, the phone menu is opened, but you do not have access to contact lists, and have to manually type in the number you wish to call.

Also, when the blackberry is locked, and wireless turned off, if you try to make a call using this option, the blackberry displays "please wait" then freezes. You have to remove the battery to reset it. See my thread http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=8844 for more on this.
Closed Thread