BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Delayed email delivery with OS4.5?

Please Login to Remove!

Ever since I upgraded my 8130 to 4.5, it seems like I am frequently having delayed delivery on email to my BB.

I upgraded approximately one week ago from 4.3.

I am on BIS. My email is forwarded by a rule on my ISP's server to my BB VZW email address. I.e. normally, if somebody sends me an email, and I am not tethered at the time, I receive it on my BB within 15 seconds of them hitting Send.

I use my BB tethered to my laptop almost all day every day at work. So, what normally happens is, I receive a bunch of emails on my laptop while being tethered for, say an hour or two. Then, I disconnect and within 10 seconds, my BB lights up receiving all those emails at once. Or, that was how it was on 4.3.

Since I upgraded to 4.5, it seems very consistent that, after I disconnect from a dial-up session, it takes anywhere from 2 minutes to 15 minutes or so before my BB receives all those emails. Once it starts receiving them, it gets them all at once, just like it used to.

Not that I think it's related, but I will throw out there that HTML email didn't work for me until I re-sent my service books, but I did not delete the ones that were already there. And, my Bluetooth would not Enable until I did a battery pull reset. If you glean nothing else from all that, at least you understand that I have re-sent my service books, and, subsequently, done a battery pull, since upgrading to OS 4.5.

Anybody else seen this delayed email delivery behavior?
Verizon 9550
Old 08-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
StuartV

I'm still seeing this. I disconnected from tethered dial-up yesterday and was 30 minutes into my drive home before all my afternoon's emails started showing up on my BB.

Nobody else is experiencing this?
Verizon 9550
Old 08-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130

I'm on verizon, and haven't noticed any delays so far (but then, haven't been looking for them). Email appears to be arriving normally from my work account (set up via IMAP).
Old 08-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Jeff.H
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8110
Carrier: The "new" AT&T.... same old Cingular

I am on ATT and have been noticing severe delays in getting emails with 4.5. It seems they queue up and download all at once the next time I do something with the phone. Its almost as if the phone is going into standby, sleep mode, whatever and loses contact with the data network until you wake the phone back up by merely doing something to turn the screen back on. As soon as I do that I will get flooded with emails, many times that I have already deleted off my .Me IMAP account :-\
Old 08-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
StuartV

It doesn't seem to relate to "waking the phone up". I mean, I click from the Home screen into my mailbox and that does not provoke it to download my queued up messages. I haven't yet tried sending a message to see if that spurs the download of queued messages.

Redflea, are you using OS4.5? And are you tethering your phone (which causes it to not be able to receive email until you disconnect from tethering)? That was the point of this thread.
Verizon 9550
Old 08-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
StuartV

I just tried this:

- I was tethered for a while (probably over an hour).

- I had 20 email messages that were received in Outlook (via BIS) while I was tethered.

- I disconnected from tethering.

- After 2 or 3 minutes, I had not received any of the 20 messages on my BB.

- I sent a test message from my BB to my work email address.

- The message sat in my BB mailbox for 4 minutes. During that time, the icon next to the message cycled between concentric circles (sending), and the clock icon (waiting, I assume). It cycled between the icons about every 5 seconds.

- After 4 minutes, my 20 emails started coming in, and now the test message I tried to send is sitting in my Inbox with a red X next to it.

- I opened my test message, hit Menu Key, Resend, and it showed up in my work Inbox about 5 seconds later.
Verizon 9550
Old 08-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
StuartV

Jeff.H,

Are you getting your messages through the BIS, or a BES?
Verizon 9550
Old 08-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Jeff.H
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8110
Carrier: The "new" AT&T.... same old Cingular

Bis
Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
StuartV

Just for the record, I upgraded my Verizon account to support BES yesterday, and subscribed to Hosted Exchange service w/BES from MailStreet last night.

It appears that the delayed delivery problem is now gone. When I disconnect from tethering, my BB now immediately receives queued up emails from the BES.

I know that doesn't really help solve the problem for people still using BIS, but the extra $35 per month (+$15 to Verizon and $20 to MailStreet) is worth it to me for the time saved in not reading everything twice (once on BB and once in Outlook) now that my Read/Unread status and Deleted are sync'ed. Not to mention having all my Sent Items show up in Outlook if I need to refer back to something I said earlier.
Verizon 9550
Old 08-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
StuartV

It seems I spoke too soon. I get the same delay with BES. It seems to be related to how long I'm tethered. If I'm not tethered very long, when I disconnect, everything is fine. If I'm tethered for a while (say, an hour), then I don't get messages delivered for a while after I disconnect.

Also, it seems that I'm actually losing my Mobile Network connection and that is what takes a while to come back. When I left for lunch today, I disconnected from tethering and messages were not coming in (though I knew I had some BIS and some BES messages queued). On my BB, I went into Manage Connections and turned off Mobile Network. Then I turned it back on, and my emails started coming in almost immediately.
Verizon 9550
Old 08-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130

I'm on 4.5, on Verizon BIS, no tethering.
Closed Thread