Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #161
mrhumble1

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Alrighty Then

Please Login to Remove!

Well it looks like everything is working as well as it is going to work right now. I did notice something odd this morning. I forwarded a message to myself (from the Blackberry) to make sure the formatting was correct, and that message was in the sent items folder in Gmail. I then sent a message to my wife and that one was NOT in the sent items folder. Weird. Hopefully one day these issues will be resolved.

For me, this is my first Blackberry and I'm just happy to be able to stay connected wherever I go.

Great. I just got a "uncaught exception: DSSMA: invalid state(5):2" error. Joy.

Jason
Old 12-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #162
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

My experience with Gmail IMAP on my 8820 starting today is as follows:
  • Email sent from my BB reaches recipients.
  • Email sent from my BB shows up in my Gmail web interface Sent folder.
  • Email sent from my BB does not show up in my BB inbox (unlike it did when I was using POP, because Rogers doesn't have filter options that allows you to filter those messages out).
  • Emails opened or deleted on the BB are reflected as such in my Gmail web interface.
  • Emails opened or deleted in my Gmail web interface are not updated in my BB.
  • I don't see any new labels in my Gmail web interface like [Imap]/Sent like other people have been reporting and like some Google documentation describes.

In terms of synchronization delays, I'm seeing anywhere from 30 seconds to 15 minutes, which I don't quite understand but fortunately can live with as I'm not working front-line support or any similar sort of role.

I haven't tried labels/folders yet, and I'm curious to see if there's anyway I can search my Gmail or use the Archive feature without using the Gmail gadget.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #163
sabrewulf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Is this a Gmail-only issue? Or is the same thing happening for yahoo?
Old 12-06-2007, 03:33 AM   #164
KlumpDud

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Hi everyone! Just to add an update to this thread, here's what I'm experiencing:

I have google apps mail with POP and IMAP disabled.

I just got my BB and added my google apps email address to my BIS.

Now, when I look at the POP/IMAP settings on the web UI, both POP and IMAP are enabled even though I didn't enable them.

I'm getting instant notification on my BB for incoming emails, and when i delete an email on my BB it instantly gets deleted on the web UI.

But as mentioned by everyone else, deleting an email via the web UI does not delete it on my BB (it's been 15 minutes so far and it's still there).

Just FYI.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #165
Aleko

Model: 8830

I seem to have all the same problems (or maybe I shouldn't call them problems, but rather the way Gmail's IMPA/POP is implemented), but here is another fairly annoying issue I've found; if I delete emails one at a time, they are deleted from Gmail UI/Outlook almost instantly (with a 5-10 seconds delay); however, if I delete multiple emails together, none of them are deleted from the server. Anyone else noticed this behaviour?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #166
Aleko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleko View Post
I seem to have all the same problems (or maybe I shouldn't call them problems, but rather the way Gmail's IMPA/POP is implemented), but here is another fairly annoying issue I've found; if I delete emails one at a time, they are deleted from Gmail UI/Outlook almost instantly (with a 5-10 seconds delay); however, if I delete multiple emails together, none of them are deleted from the server. Anyone else noticed this behaviour?
Furthermore, deleting even a single email by clicking on the date header and selecting the "Delete Prior" does not delete it from the server. :( So, you have to delete each email one at a time for it to be deleted from the server, which is a pain in the tail if you have dozens of emails to delete.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #167
polo2883
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon

Does anyone have an update on this.

Is IMAP Gmail working faster now?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #168
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo2883 View Post
Does anyone have an update on this.

Is IMAP Gmail working faster now?
No change that I am aware of.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #169
coastieboy00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AE9FC0
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I thought the slowness had to do with how BIS pulls IMAP, every 15 minutes.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:49 AM   #170
faibs

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

any update re. this issue?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #171
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Honestly I have not gone back to try IMAP on my BlackBerry, I am waiting to see some official news from Google/Gmail before I bother with it again.

I emailed a question to Gmail Support a few months ago but I never got a response.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #172
JohnPMP

For what it is worth, my company just gave me access to their IMAP functionality, which is running on Exchange Server. I am seeing exactly the same behavior on this account that I did when I was attempting IMAP for GMail (I have since reverted to GMail's POP functionality and am very happy with its performance).

This proves to me that the problem is in the way BB (or maybe Verizon's implementation of BB) handles the IMAP protocols. I can't blaim GMail for that one. Now the question is, how do we get this fixed???
Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #173
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Getting it fixed, we will probably have to wait for RIM to fix it.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #174
rsmith7

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Maybe I am off the mark but I was able to get the IMAP only email setup. Following the instructions from Gmail and the all important part to leave out your password. It will then give you the ability to enter the IMAP server.

I do not however see any of my labels.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #175
agtprvctr

Default Sent mail from BlackBerry not showing up in gmail.com Sent label?

So for those who have successfully gone IMAP, the mail you send from the blackberry shows up in the Sent label on the webmail? This is the one thing I could not make happen. I have a Google Apps account and I was able to set up IMAP successfully - delete and msg read sync fine, but I could not figure out how to make Blackberry sent mail show up on my webmail without using the Auto BCC feature on the BIS setup (which I don't think is ideal b/c then it shows up in the Inbox as well as Sent Mail and I have to create a filter to have it skip the Inbox and go directly to Archive).
Old 05-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #176
jevid

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtprvctr View Post
So for those who have successfully gone IMAP, the mail you send from the blackberry shows up in the Sent label on the webmail? This is the one thing I could not make happen. I have a Google Apps account and I was able to set up IMAP successfully - delete and msg read sync fine, but I could not figure out how to make Blackberry sent mail show up on my webmail without using the Auto BCC feature on the BIS setup (which I don't think is ideal b/c then it shows up in the Inbox as well as Sent Mail and I have to create a filter to have it skip the Inbox and go directly to Archive).
Did you create a "sent items" label in your Gmail account? When I did that, my sent mail was showing up there...
Old 05-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #177
agtprvctr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevid View Post
Did you create a "sent items" label in your Gmail account? When I did that, my sent mail was showing up there...
I didn't, but I also don't see the sent mail anywhere, even in All Mail. Aren't labels just an organization thing? I thought the problem was that regardless of whether the BIS uses google's pop or imap server, it always uses its own SMTP server and not google's, hence the sent mail never gets sync'ed up.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #178
skifri

Model: 8800
Carrier: att
Default Blackberry IMAP - Mysterious "Sent Items" Label in Gmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtprvctr View Post
I didn't, but I also don't see the sent mail anywhere, even in All Mail. Aren't labels just an organization thing? I thought the problem was that regardless of whether the BIS uses google's pop or imap server, it always uses its own SMTP server and not google's, hence the sent mail never gets sync'ed up.
You are right that mail from the Blackberry does not show up anywhere on gmail's site, not even in all mail.

BUT

Somehow... mysteriously... if you create a label entitled "Sent Items" in your gmail settings, all of you blackberry sent gmail WILL show up under that label folder in your gmail web account. From reading these forums it seems that initially this strange label showed up automatically in gmail as ....
[IMAP]/Sent
and
[IMAP]/Trash
... shortly after configuring IMAP on your blackberry, but now they do not. You can add "Sent Items" manually to serve the same purpose as [IMAP]/Sent.

Does anyone out there know WHERE this information came from regarding the "Sent Items" label? Are there any other pre-defined secret labels out there for gmail IMAP that would allow us to capture things such as SPAM or Deleted Items via our Blackberry?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #179
Berrymedic20

Model: 8330

I think I'm going to stick with the google app for blackberry for the time being. It gives near instant notifications (2-5 minute delay it seems), and it syncs flawlessly with the server, with no deletion or read status issues.

2 Downsides to this:
- Can't use BB contacts at all to send e-mails. It does download your google contacts though, so e-mailing shouldn't be difficult.
- The blackberry doesn't recognize it for any default e-mail functions, obviously.

Google and Blackberry REALLY need to get their heads together and get IMAP working PROPERLY. It's not that hard.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #180
s0ldats

Carrier: verizon

yeah, i definitely wish there was better support for IMAP in this regard... any updates?
Closed Thread