Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #81
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

OK, a number of people have reported the "fading trackball" issue. On observation, today mine is almost back to white.

This appears to confirm that the light that we are coloring generates heat. AFAIK that is all it could be. [See my pic of alleged "fried" ink.]

I am most interested on how the scotch tape colored blue trick works. Will the tape fry and fall off as any tape would when coming in contact with heat?

In the meantime, I am looking at alternatives since we can't be pulling apart the trackball every week to color it.

I have some other inks that I am going to try, they may be heat resistant [e.g., various brands of fountain pen ink].

I will clean off the Sharpie ink residue, apply other inks and report my findings.

Most interesting indeed [and kind of fun, another pretend problem to tackle. I say "pretend" because we have no business tearing apart the Pearl to color lights, etc. ]

Sidenote: No one has commented, but see my observations and query that these "LED" lights may not be LEDs at all since true LEDs should not be generating heat sufficient to fry Sharpie ink.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #82
SanFrancisco

Fountain pen ink does not work, it is water based and not thick enough to change the color of the light.

I wonder if pen ink might hold up better? Let me think about it. I may rip apart one of my pens, see how the ink looks against a piece of glass [may be too thick or too thin].

If it looks like it might work I will give that a try.

Since I was "in there" I applied another Sharpie coating, this time from a different pen, albeit I don't think the other Sharpie was defective.

Sidenote: The old ink cleaned right up with some denatured alcohol dabbed on to a tissue that I wrapped around a small screwdriver.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #83
GrayPenguin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 23EAF79C
Carrier: Cingular

Acrylic with a lot of gloss medium might work. I also tried a paint pen once. I worked, but it was kinda dark...Highlighter works and didn't come off for the week I had it on there, but it was very light.

The best thing to do for sure results would be to replace the led altogether, but I'm pretty sure that that's something that many people, including myself, don't want to try.

Colored cellophane should also work. It would probably be best to adhere it with removable gluestick glue (works like a post-it note.)
Old 03-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #84
dlanemarker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmobile

One thing that I might also think would work would be stained glass paint you can get at the craft store. its made for glass and plastic and you can get some that you can use in the dishwasher.. the only thing with that is that its permanent and will never come off.

I have had the tape and sharpie on my trackball since last Friday and the rest since Tuesday and its working out perfect.. No melting or anything. The only thing I am worried about is that over time the tape may loose its stickinessxxx8217; with moisture and other things getting to it. But I really think that would be a long term effect. So I am going to preach on the tape idea, Non permanent and easy and cheap to do.

Last edited by dlanemarker; 03-01-2007 at 06:47 PM..
Old 03-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #85
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlanemarker
One thing that I might also think would work would be stained glass paint you can get at the craft store. its made for glass and plastic and you can get some that you can use in the dishwasher.. the only thing with that is that its permanent and will never come off.

I have had the tape and sharpie on my trackball since last Friday and the rest since Tuesday and its working out perfect.. No melting or anything. The only thing I am worried about is that over time the tape may loose its stickiness’ with moisture and other things getting to it. But I really think that would be a long term effect. So I am going to preach on the tape idea, Non permanent and easy and cheap to do.
All your tips are good ideas. I may try the tape.

Give us a report in another week. If it is not much trouble, next week pull off the trackball and give it a visual, to see what's happening.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #86
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayPenguin
Colored cellophane should also work. It would probably be best to adhere it with removable gluestick glue (works like a post-it note.)
That's what I meant when first talking about all this and referred to it as "film." I might pick up some at the craft store over the weekend.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #87
dlanemarker
Thumbs Must Hurt

I looked online and I found this stuff and I really think it wold do the job, anyone willing to try it?
Delta Glass Paints are transparent, allowing light to shine through the color (such as a PERL trackball light). Paints are dishwasher-safe, microwave-safe, and oven-safe (this would take care of the heat/frying issue)
Click image for larger version

Name:	02964-OB2ww-m.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	7467you can visit the product website here -
Delta Glass Paint - Blick Art Materials
Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #88
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I'll try it and put it in the dishwasher, then the microwave, and let you know how it comes out. I refuse to put it in the oven, that makes no sense to me!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #89
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlanemarker
I looked online and I found this stuff and I really think it wold do the job, anyone willing to try it?
Delta Glass Paints are transparent, allowing light to shine through the color (such as a PERL trackball light). Paints are dishwasher-safe, microwave-safe, and oven-safe (this would take care of the heat/frying issue)
Attachment 7467you can visit the product website here -
Delta Glass Paint - Blick Art Materials
Nice find. But I am too cheap to invest time and money into yet another bottle of "stuff." Not sure what I would do with it after using a pinhead size drop on the light. That's a big bottle.

I am thinking of all kinds of wild things. E.g., I have about 100 black light bulbs in various shapes and sizes. Wonder if I could break one of them and take a little piece of the glass and stick it over the LED?

That might be cool [and fun to see if it works].
Old 03-02-2007, 01:11 AM   #90
punkarella
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Nexus
Carrier: t-mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo
it's called the quattro theme:

http://www.microdesigncenter.com/Quattro_Theme.zip

Enjoy! (it's a good one)
how do I install the theme?
do you twitter? ... I do!
Old 03-06-2007, 02:40 AM   #91
My Polished Pearl

Default Is it Permanent?

Once I color the LED's can I remove it back to clear at later time? By using the alcohol?
THANKS!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:12 AM   #92
GrayPenguin

Denatured alcohol will remove Sharpie easily. Just put a little on the end of a q-tip and rub on the led. Hairspray also removes sharpie, but I think it would be easier to use alcohol in this case.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #93
Schneider
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: pearl
Carrier: cingular

well done
thanks (:
Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #94
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

very good guide sf...

i would love to replace the actual ball in my pearl. maybe with a pretty marble or paint it black or another color..... anyone want to try that?

also...

how hard would it be to paint the white ring around the ball... black... to match the rest of the phone?
Old 03-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #95
acv
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2054EB76
Carrier: Telcel

hey SF what would happen if I don't clean the "bulb" again. I used sharpie blue, and my trackball is back to white, since I broke the chrome cover, I'm afraid to disassemble again, so any problems if I don't clean it?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #96
patberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310R
PIN: 242DB81B
Carrier: at&t

The images on how to disassemble my pearl arent showing up.

Are they located somewhere else?

Does anyone have a copy of them?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #97
GrayPenguin

Looks like SanFrancisco removed (or moved) the pics from his site since the urls are giving a page not found error. I would hope that this is only temporary as those pictures were a very valuable resource. SF: If you need server space, I would be happy to offer some of mine to host the pictures.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #98
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayPenguin
Looks like SanFrancisco removed (or moved) the pics from his site since the urls are giving a page not found error. I would hope that this is only temporary as those pictures were a very valuable resource. SF: If you need server space, I would be happy to offer some of mine to host the pictures.
It's not a server issue, just some issues related to my being on BBF.

I'll re-upload these pics since the thread got worldwide attention and many sites have linked to it.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #99
patberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310R
PIN: 242DB81B
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
It's not a server issue, just some issues related to my being on BBF.

I'll re-upload these pics since the thread got worldwide attention and many sites have linked to it.
Thankyou ALOT SanFrancisco, my scroll wheel down dosent work, and i cant get it to work.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #100
dlanemarker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hey so its been almost 2 weeks and with my colored tape and there hasn't been any fading or any issues .. just to let everyone know.
Closed Thread