BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #61
bsy2010

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone.de

Please Login to Remove!

Although I really liked .100 and all my apps worked for me, I went back to the latest official.
Nice to have more than a day battery life again
Old 06-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #62
nick.dollimount
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 216DF034
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsy2010 View Post
Although I really liked .100 and all my apps worked for me, I went back to the latest official.
Nice to have more than a day battery life again
I've actually gained quite a bit of battery life since moving to this beta.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #63
nick.dollimount

I just noticed another thing that's missing in this version. I used to be able to hold in a key and scroll to the left or right to get all the variations of that letter with all the accents on it. That doesn't happen anymore. Not sure if it was available in the last 5.0 beta but I know I could to it in 4.6. No biggy but they best be fixing it in the real release =P
Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #64
raygnlz
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 217F82B5
Carrier: T-Mobile

better off waiting for the official release.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #65
alexvega
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold2
PIN: G.
Carrier: at&t, son.

coolest thing i noticed, is that i can now connect to my work network... we use 802.1x w/ PEAP... before i used to always get "network deauthenticated client" but with .100 on my bold i can connect right up and use our wifi....

What sucks is that the media player freezes sometimes, after a reboot its all good... and sometimes it says it cant locate the sound files, that sucks too, but a reboot fixes it
Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #66
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon

I've been running it about a week and its not bad for a beta. I like the subtle UI upgrades and it seems generally a little faster. I haven't fixed the browser issue, which means a few 3P Apps aren't working, and I've had 2 reboots in a week. One small thing I've noticed is that SMS messages are abreviated and sometimes truncated. But more of my 3P Apps work with this 5.0 than the prior one. Battery performance isn't great, however.

Last edited by mmcpher; 06-23-2009 at 12:34 PM..
Old 06-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #67
drewcalloway

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.dollimount View Post
I just noticed another thing that's missing in this version. I used to be able to hold in a key and scroll to the left or right to get all the variations of that letter with all the accents on it. That doesn't happen anymore. Not sure if it was available in the last 5.0 beta but I know I could to it in 4.6. No biggy but they best be fixing it in the real release =P
Just scroll up or down while holding down the letter and it works.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #68
nick.dollimount

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcalloway View Post
Just scroll up or down while holding down the letter and it works.
Doesn't work for me. Scrolling any direction just scrolls the cursor away.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #69
nick.dollimount

Found a couple more issues with it. If you have your alarm set for the same time that you have a calendar entry alarm, you get an uncaught exception in the popup ui.

Also, the speed dial is way too sensitive. I think it's linked to the repeat rate in the Screen/Keyboard options though. I always set mine to the fastest for when typing. I set it to Normal today and it appears to have brought the speed dial sensitivity down. Like almost every time I'd hit R to reply to a message, I'd end up calling Rogers (that's what mine's set to). Was very annoying. These two things definitely should not be linked.

Last edited by nick.dollimount; 06-25-2009 at 10:28 AM..
Old 06-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #70
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900

Quote:
Found another issue with it. If you have your alarm set for the same time that you have a calendar entry alarm, you get an uncaught exception in the popup ui.
That's a subtle one! I imagine RIM's software group *must* have a pretty comprehensive regression test plan, and they should also have an automated test platform that makes it possible to auto-run the regression tests before they roll out new releases. This is about the only practical way to catch the myriad subtle errors that are possible (such as the one you just reported).

That being said, I have to wonder why these errors are *not* caught before betas come out. I understand that there's no particular commitment on RIM's part to make the betas bullet-proof as they're not officially for public consumption. However I always wonder why, if RIM *does* have a thorough software QA program in place, such errors even wind up being in betas...

- Jon
Old 06-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #71
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Doesn't work for me. Scrolling any direction just scrolls the cursor away.
Works for me -- if I hold the letter down and scroll either up/down or left/right, I get various choices. However... I'm seeing some interesting things here:

When I hold down the "B" key and scroll, I get "B", "b" and "i" -- when I SHOULD be getting an exclamation mark instead of the "i". Weird.

When I try with the "V" key, I'm offered an upside down "?", rather than the normal "?" it types when I use the ALT key.

Weird...
Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #72
nick.dollimount

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Works for me -- if I hold the letter down and scroll either up/down or left/right, I get various choices. However... I'm seeing some interesting things here:

When I hold down the "B" key and scroll, I get "B", "b" and "i" -- when I SHOULD be getting an exclamation mark instead of the "i". Weird.

When I try with the "V" key, I'm offered an upside down "?", rather than the normal "?" it types when I use the ALT key.

Weird...
I wonder if it's because you're using an 8900 and I'm on a 9000. Maybe I'm missing a language file or something crazy
Old 06-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #73
wdwms

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Here I am having the following problems

1. In the browser I'm only seeing options for HotSpot and MediaNet; all other options are gone. WTF is the difference between all of these anyway?
2. Small font next to message indicator and for time is rough looking

-t
Old 06-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #74
alanta
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 208782B9

Quote:
I wonder if it's because you're using an 8900 and I'm on a 9000. Maybe I'm missing a language file or something crazy
It's got to be device specific. My Bold reacts the same as yours and differently from the 8900.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #75
nick.dollimount

I'm pretty sure RIM should release their betas to the public and just keep an eye on these forums. ...although they probably do keep an eye on these for feedback.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #76
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I'm pretty sure RIM should release their betas to the public and just keep an eye on these forums. ...although they probably do keep an eye on these for feedback.
I agree. It's a great way to get knowledgeable experienced users to exercise the interim releases and help discover bugs.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #77
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810

Man I haven't upgraded in what feels like ages! From what I am reading though, I will be waiting a bit longer; seems to be too many bugs just yet.

Oh well, back to learning Linux and MacOSX for now. Gonna have to reload Windoze on the ole laptop soon though. Looks like OS5 is getting closer to a somewhat stable "release".

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"
Old 06-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #78
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarXJ7 View Post
Man I haven't upgraded in what feels like ages! From what I am reading though, I will be waiting a bit longer; seems to be too many bugs just yet.

Oh well, back to learning Linux and MacOSX for now. Gonna have to reload Windoze on the ole laptop soon though. Looks like OS5 is getting closer to a somewhat stable "release".
Have you thought about running windoze and linux on a VM under OSX? Works very well for most purposes.

I know what you mean about upgrading the BB OS. I tried 5.0.0.100 for a while, and the bits of new features I saw were great, but the bugs were enough to put me off (first beta I ever backed away from!). So I'm back to 4.6.1.250, and now -- to my great disappointment -- it's official and I can't even find a 4.6.x.x beta to load! :(

*sigh*

I guess what I'm really looking forward to next is a more stable 5.x.x.x beta, so I can get back to the new features and better performance and have something a bit more stable. Where's my next beta????!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #79
piester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: att

Wirelessly posted

This might be dumb but could you take the cod files for domething like bb messanger from 5.0 and put it in the 4.6? Did that make sense?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #80
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by piester View Post
Wirelessly posted

This might be dumb but could you take the cod files for domething like bb messanger from 5.0 and put it in the 4.6? Did that make sense?
It could conceivably make sense -- but it would only be workable if all the system objects, methods, interfaces, etc that the BB Messenger routines invoke in the other files remain the same from version to version. Sometimes mix-n-match can work, but other times it simply blows up. Without being able to actually see the program code, know the interdependencies, or see the API's, it's pretty much a guessing game. If you have the time and patience to experiment, and you're prepared to use something like JL Commander to wipe your device and reload the OS if you brick it, then you might get there. It's not necessarily a project for the faint of heart, or something you can confidently do in a hurry.
Closed Thread