BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #41
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I went from .65 to .75 to .76 and then to .83. I have not had any problems with rebooting. I loaded .83 this past Friday and it has been working without any issues. After each upgrade I pull the battery, not sure if it is needed but I do it anyway. The only time I deleted the vendor.xml file was with .76 since it was a Bell O/S. All installs I have done have been updates or upgrades. I have not wiped the phone at all between updates.

By the way, I also have GMail Mobile installed and has been on all O/S versions. This is the only Google application that I have installed.

Last edited by Thom; 12-23-2008 at 10:39 AM..
Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #42
zduchene
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
I went from .65 to .75 to .76 and then to .83. I have not had any problems with rebooting. I loaded .83 this past Friday and it has been working without any issues. After each upgrade I pull the battery, not sure if it is needed but I do it anyway. The only time I deleted the vendor.xml file was with .76 since it was a Bell O/S. All installs I have done have been updates or upgrades. I have not wiped the phone at all between updates.

By the way, I also have GMail Mobile installed and has been on all O/S versions. This is the only Google application that I have installed.
That is funny that we can both do things almost the same way and I have all kinds of problems and you don't. The only thing that I did different than you is go from .65 to .75 to .85, I am not sure if going to .76 would make a difference, I am sure it wouldn't...I don't know, we'll see what happens today after I get a bunch of phone calls and txts, see if it starts to act the same way, if so Verizon will be sending me a new phone.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #43
taichi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I went from .63, .75, .76, and .83. The only rebooting time was when I received the BB Msg and email within less than split of .5 second, can be noticed by LED light, since I have it off all the time and LED will light up first whenever phone, email,..etc come in. I have suspect some 3rd app caused it since I have viigo, gtalk, MSN and weatherbug ran in the background. I deleted weatherbug and still viigo, gtalk and MSN runs in the background. Since then, I haven't had any rebooting issue.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #44
zduchene

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi View Post
I went from .63, .75, .76, and .83. The only rebooting time was when I received the BB Msg and email within less than split of .5 second, can be noticed by LED light, since I have it off all the time and LED will light up first whenever phone, email,..etc come in. I have suspect some 3rd app caused it since I have viigo, gtalk, MSN and weatherbug ran in the background. I deleted weatherbug and still viigo, gtalk and MSN runs in the background. Since then, I haven't had any rebooting issue.
Yeah, weatherbug is still really buggy...
Old 12-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #45
zduchene

Well... 0.75 froze on me again today, I guess I am not surprised. With all you guys not having any problems like mine I am going to call Verizon and see if I can get a new phone today...ugh!
Old 12-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #46
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zduchene View Post
Well... 0.75 froze on me again today, I guess I am not surprised. With all you guys not having any problems like mine I am going to call Verizon and see if I can get a new phone today...ugh!
Sounds like that is probably the best bet for you. When you get your knew phone I would introduce a new app one at a time. What I mean is install one and run it for a day or so and see if you reboot issue appears. If it doesn't add another one and so on.

I noticed earlier you said you didn't do .76. I really don't think it matters. From what I gather the O/S is really a collection of compiled java components. Those components are replaced with each operating system update since they are the same file names at different revisions.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #47
milo145

Model: 9500
Carrier: verizon
Default .83 working fine

VZW, upped from .75 everything is working fine and alot more responsive
Old 12-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #48
zduchene

Verizon is overnighting me a new phone. We'll see what happens.

When I get the new phone should I upgrade to 0.83 immediately or wait?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #49
hudres

PIN: n/a

Quote:
Verizon is overnighting me a new phone. We'll see what happens.

When I get the new phone should I upgrade to 0.83 immediately or wait?

I would wait and see what version comes with the phone. If it is .75, I would try that for a while. It is the current official release. Then you can make a more informed decision about .83. I have been using .83 and feel it is better, but that is merely my opinion. I would throughly test .75 for the issues that have been bothering you and see how it responds. If there is no improvement, then going to .83 would be a reasonable course of action. You will have to repeat the tests in .83 and see if there is an improvement.

I have observed some reboots with .83. They seem to happen when I first turn the phone on in the morning. Sometimes a second battery pull is required to fix things. Once the phone is working, is stays that way all day until shutoff.

Best I can offer. Hope this helps. 73

Last edited by hudres; 12-23-2008 at 09:43 PM..
Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 PM   #50
zduchene

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
I would wait and see what version comes with the phone. If it is .75, I would try that for a while. It is the current official release. Then you can make a more informed decision about .83. I have been using .83 and feel it is better, but that is merely my opinion. I would throughly test .75 for the issues that have been bothering you and see how it responds. If there is no improvement, then going to .83 would be a reasonable course of action. You will have to repeat the tests in .83 and see if there is an improvement.

I have observed some reboots with .83. They seem to happen when I first turn the phone on in the morning. Sometimes a second battery pull is required to fix things. Once the phone is working, is stays that way all day until shutoff.

Best I can offer. Hope this helps. 73
What would everyone say is an acceptable amount of reboots per day?

On my curve I never got a reboot unless I installed a new piece of software or something. It was rock solid! (but not nearly as cool as the storm)
Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #51
hudres

Lightbulb

Quote:
What would everyone say is an acceptable amount of reboots per day?

On my curve I never got a reboot unless I installed a new piece of software or something. It was rock solid! (but not nearly as cool as the storm)

I didn't say that it was acceptable. I just said that once it reboots it works fine. On another thread, someone pointed out that there may have been a bad batch of phones, and published the serial numbers. Unfortunately, my phone is from the same batch. I am considering requesting another unit. The problem is, until you get it, you have no way to tell what the serials are, so no way to control the situation. Going to .83 improved the situation but did not eliminate it. Gotta think about this. 73
Old 12-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #52
zduchene

Do you think by doing a *228 option 2 after upgrade to .83 makes any difference in the phones performance or reliability?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #53
zduchene

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
I didn't say that it was acceptable. I just said that once it reboots it works fine. On another thread, someone pointed out that there may have been a bad batch of phones, and published the serial numbers. Unfortunately, my phone is from the same batch. I am considering requesting another unit. The problem is, until you get it, you have no way to tell what the serials are, so no way to control the situation. Going to .83 improved the situation but did not eliminate it. Gotta think about this. 73
Just for Shi** and Giggles try a *228 Option 2 and let me know if it helps at all...
Old 12-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #54
hudres

Lightbulb

Quote:
Just for Shi** and Giggles try a *228 Option 2 and let me know if it helps at all...
I did that as part of installing .83 (as well as every other OS upgrade). I also did it a second time. Good idea but not the solution. I also resend the service books when I upgrade. Wish it wer so. 73
Old 12-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #55
recca
Thumbs Must Hurt

I ended up switching back to .75 because .83 was way too buggy. My phone locked up numerous times through out the day and my web browsers doesn't load. When I hold the BB botton to switch apps, nothing came up. When I started the phone, the Verizon Wireless screen is stuck on the load screen. Memory leaked was a huge problem. I can go on and on. Untill it's more stable, I'm stick with .75
Old 12-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #56
UndergroundWire

PIN: Ask Me

Quote:
Option 2 only updates your Preferred Roaming List. Nothing Else.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #57
UndergroundWire

PIN: Ask Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndergroundWire View Post
Option 2 only updates your Preferred Roaming List. Nothing Else.
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Understanding VZW *228 Updates & Myths ..
Old 12-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #58
slugzkea

Carrier: Protection Services Officer

GUYS:

If your storm is freezing and rebooting and crashing, it is defective! Return it for a replacement!

I attach the serials on the box of my first Storm, which was defective. It crashed, it froze, the battery life was crap, app errors no matter what version of firmware I used. I tried clean wipe as well. It was defective.

I got a new batch which came into Canada on Dec. 22 2008 and no problems at all.

IF YOU HAVE THE BATCH PLACED BELOW, REPLACE IT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badbatch.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	532.8 KB
ID:	14453  
Old 12-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #59
MoreChampagneSir?

Model: 8700
Carrier: Someone

It's a sad thing when you have to measure the number of reboots. If you have one, on an official, released version, it's too many. Return the defective product.

I installed .83, then it eventually locked up on me. Got the "App Error 200" message (equivalent of the blue screen of death). Fortunately, I ended up taking to a store and getting an exchange, no questions asked (within 30 days period, of course).

By the way, the new one I got had .75 loaded.

I knew when I loaded .83 I could be in trouble. Low and behold I did get into trouble, but VZW's customer service bailed me out.

Yeah, you might save two seconds on the camera function with .83, and that's really the only difference I noticed in the short time I had it, but is that performance really worth looking over your shoulder and wondering what might freeze-up and/or wondering when and if it'll re-boot?

I'll buck the temptation and the trend here and just wait a few weeks until the official version is released.
Closed Thread