Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #21
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abgopm
I downgraded to 3.50 and the autocomplete started to work again. I then upgraded to 3.83 to see if it would work and it did. I noticed though if I am not in an EVDO supported area it takes about 15 seconds to populate the list. But if I am in an EVDO area it is pretty much instant. By the way I am on vzw with a hosted BES.
I've never uninstalled any 411 version and the 3.8 auto complete works for me. Maybe this is a key to the puzzle.

The only BES restriction I know of is forced password.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #22
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbogle
Berry411 is about local search (e.g. yellow pages, shopping, weather, sports, etc.), BerrySearch is about internet reference search (e.g. Google, Wikipedia, Dictionary, etc.) Of course Berry411 does some of the latter as well but BerrySearch does it better.
Is using google in 411 the same as using google in berry search?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:29 PM   #23
digidep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-moblie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
I've never uninstalled any 411 version and the 3.8 auto complete works for me. Maybe this is a key to the puzzle.

The only BES restriction I know of is forced password.
Nope, i tried replacing during the install, but still no auto complete.

digidep
Old 01-03-2007, 08:02 AM   #24
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidep
Nope, i tried replacing during the install, but still no auto complete.

digidep
ditto.

Problem for me started when the autocomplete function began operating from the server instead of the device. That's why going back to pre-3.7 version works. And I've done it both ways. I was overwriting, then when I didn't have autocomplete, I tried uninstalling and resinstalling. Also installed 3.6, then installed newer version again over the 3.6. I also had been using an earlier version of OS 4.1, then upgraded to latest TMO version to see if that would fix it (it did not, of course).

As this will bump the thread to the top, I'll ask again if anyone has an idea why my data plan might be different compared to someone else on TMO? (Other than something peculiar with my individual BB, that's the only other thing that makes sense right now (to me).)
Old 01-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #25
SMF
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm on T-Mobile with an 8700g and using Pkg:4.1.0.529 - the latest available. I'm on a BES but don't browse through the BES as it's not enabled yet by my company (I'm set to use the Internet Browser as "default browser configuration" and "default MDS browser configuration" in the browser settings. I have no problem finding things using berry411 and using programs like google maps but not autocomplete. I don't get any autocomplete information with version 3.83.

SMF

Last edited by SMF; 01-04-2007 at 01:34 PM..
Old 01-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #26
philbogle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-mobile

I'll have a beta soon that might help some of the folks have autocomplete problems and will be interested in hearing your feedback. (I think it's a BES "split-pipe" issue. )
Old 01-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #27
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
I'll have a beta soon that might help some of the folks have autocomplete problems and will be interested in hearing your feedback. (I think it's a BES "split-pipe" issue. )
Fingers crossed here. Looking forward to trying it. (I guess the BES issue is on the berry411 side of things? Well, over my head anyway---Hope it works for us on BIS.)

Last edited by aiharkness; 01-06-2007 at 02:04 PM..
Old 01-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #28
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: NO One

Berry411 v3.83 auto-complete DOES work on my TMO 8700g v4.1.0.351 (CSL version). Actually, the v3.73 worked on my TMO 8700g too.

However, it does take a second or two seconds to populate the list after I type the keyword thou.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #29
rickthornton

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Yellow page search issues

Slightly off topic, but since this thread is discussing issues with this new release, I have been experiencing a different issue since upgrade. What I am noticing is the yellow page search is routinely returning no results where before I would get results. The difference appears to be in the quality of the search string, if I hit it exactly right I get a return, otherwise often nothing. For example I wanted to look up "Kohl's Department Store", and in the past I would have expected success with searching "kohl, kohls, kohl's, etc. Currently, all three of those as well as "Kohl's Department Store" returned nothing.

Has anybody else noticed this, or is it just me.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #30
philbogle
Thumbs Must Hurt

For those having autocomplete issues, please download

http://thebogles.com/beta/berry411.jad

select "Edit Address/Options : Advanced Network Settings" and try setting the connection type to "Direct". If that doesn't work, try "BES".

In any event, please let me know whether this resolved the issue for you.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #31
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:

select "Edit Address/Options : Advanced Network Settings" and try setting the connection type to "Direct". If that doesn't work, try "BES".

Didn't work for me (8700g, v4.1.0.346, TMO, BIS). For what it's worth, when set on Direct, I see the communication arrows at top right of display when I enter search term; no arrows when set to BES.

Last edited by aiharkness; 01-07-2007 at 06:07 PM..
Old 01-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #32
SMF

Unfortunately same here - set as requested - direct connection and no autocomplete.

When I set it to BES it doesn't work either, but my search returns results - which is interesting since when I set my browser to use my company named browser for the MDS browsing I can't browse - I have to set it to internet browser.

As stated above - T-Mobile 8700g, Cingular 4.1.529, on BES.

I'll play with it some more to see if anything else works. I also see the connection arrows in the upper right of the screen that appear as soon as I'm typing letters.

SMF

Last edited by SMF; 01-07-2007 at 06:23 PM..
Old 01-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #33
digidep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

No luck with any setting. All appeared to attempt to transfer data (data arrows), but no results.

On BES, T-mobile, Pearl 8100.

Default browser configuration = Internet Browser
Default MDS browser = Internet Browser

digidep
Old 01-08-2007, 02:04 AM   #34
philbogle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Lightbulb

Bummer that the alternate network settings haven't helped those of you having issues. If anyone has theories about what network settings might help resolve the issue, I'd appreciate hearing them.

As a partial workaround, there is a new release 3.85 that uses combined local and server side autocompletion; the best of both worlds, so to speak. You get instantaneous local completions even if the network is inaccessible, which are replaced by the server completions as soon as available.

As usual, you can get to the new version using "About/Upgrades" or by visiting http://thebogles.com/berry411.jad on your Blackberry.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:26 AM   #35
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Bummer that the alternate network settings haven't helped those of you having issues. If anyone has theories about what network settings might help resolve the issue, I'd appreciate hearing them.

As a partial workaround, there is a new release 3.85 that uses combined local and server side autocompletion; the best of both worlds, so to speak. You get instantaneous local completions even if the network is inaccessible, which are replaced by the server completions as soon as available.

As usual, you can get to the new version using "About/Upgrades" or by visiting http://thebogles.com/berry411.jad on your Blackberry.
The app is still great. It's just torture seeing it work on friend's BB's and not work on mine. I really think it is something on my side of it and not on the berry411 side. As I wrote above, my friends are on TMO BIS, just with different BB models, and it works for them. How can that be? Flaw in my OS installation? Conflict with something else installed on my BB? (My friends are more or less running the same apps as me.) (I'm so clueless.)

Update: The autocomplete is still not populating. It does work for me with 3.6 and 3.5 where autocomplete was local only. Perhaps it isn't a communication issue?

Last edited by aiharkness; 01-08-2007 at 07:43 AM..
Old 01-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #36
SMF

Same here - no autocomplete. For example if I have searched for wine (it's in my list of past searches) and when I try it again what happens is as soon as I begin typing letters (w i n e) I see connection attemps (arrows in upper right of screen) but nothing is "autocompleted" even with the previous search. It appears that berry411 is defaulting to trying to use the internet for autocomplete and is not recognizing that nothing is coming back - or perhaps it is receiving autocomplete information but is having an issue displaying it.

SMF
Old 01-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #37
digidep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Any debug code you could put in a release to see what is really trying to return or fetch?

digidep
Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #38
SMF

Phil,

I just tried bbcorrector the spell checking application. While I'm on BES I the only way I could get it to work was to select "disable MDS proxy" and have my internet APN set to wap.voicestream.com. Perhaps this is a clue for you.

SMF
Old 01-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #39
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF
Phil,

I just tried bbcorrector the spell checking application. While I'm on BES I the only way I could get it to work was to select "disable MDS proxy" and have my internet APN set to wap.voicestream.com. Perhaps this is a clue for you.

SMF
Ahhggg! I had added and deleted the APN along the way. I added it back, and autocomplete now works. This is with 3.85.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #40
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF
Phil,

SMF
Ahhggg! I had added and deleted the APN along the way. I added it back, and autocomplete now works. This is with 3.85.
I wanted to go back and try 3.7 to make sure I'm not nuts. But I know I tried setting the APN. Would also like to try 3.83 again with the APN. But can't get now.

For what it's worth, though, the autocomplete on berrysearch does not work, even with the APN.